• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Suicidal Beaver

Started by Coulter, March 28, 2012, 08:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I went out after work today to try and get a couple last minute sets in before the season closes on Saturday. I figured I'd hit a new colony that hasn't been touched yet and try out a new set. The 1/2 mile walk in was nice and pleasant, but would have been much nicer without chest waders on. The first set was made in no time, but I wanted to go find some bait to add to it. I went on to make the next set 60 yards away and had a heck of a time finding the ideal spot. I finally found it after wasting all kinds of time bouncing around the marsh. After I had it all set up I  figured I'd venture off and grab some bait to add to both sets, and maybe something heavy to use at the set. Before I left I figured I'd add a little beaver candy (lure) to the set.

After sweetening the pot, I waded halfway back to shore when I noticed ripples in the water coming from a downed log. I froze and watched the area. Out comes this beaver swimming right to me. I was standing in his travel channel still as he swam up and stared at me. I was in camo, but he must have seen me move or smelled me. Though, he didn't show any alarm at all. I slowly turned as he made his way down the channel only to find out that he turned back toward me and was still giving me the stink eye a mere three feet away from me. I have never had this happen before and I wasn't sure what the heck his intentions were. I don't believe the armor on those waders is designed to withstand a beaver mauling.

After a short time he continued on towards my set (330 Belisle) and actually brushed the trigger with his head. I have never watched a beaver actually get caught working a set before, so I was watching intently. (I wish I would have got my phone out and recorded this event). He swam in front of the trap for a second then decided to skirt around the side of the set to investigate the smell of the intruder I left for him. When he did this he pushed the set off balance and knocked out of kilter. Crap...what should I do now?

I decided to wait him out and finish the set as I had originally planned. He continued swimming around and I was tempted to shew him away so I could finish the set. Then he dove. He came back up with an armload of marsh mud, debris and sticks and plopped it down on a high spot in the marsh. Apparently satisfied with himself he went back over to my set and proceeded to crawl all over it. He was on top of the trap when it finally went off. I finally witnessed a beaver get caught in one of my sets. Granted, not the way I wanted him too, but hey he's going on the board. Or is he?

Then it dawned on me, he could easily pull out of that trap if he isn't caught real well. Off I ran back to the truck in neoprene waders to fetch my gun. (I never seem to learn the lesson of having my sidearm with me while trapping...expect the unexpected) I've tried the knock 'em on the head and drown them method before, that just isn't any fun for me or the beaver. I prefer not to shower in swamp muck.

I finally arrived back at the trap site and dispatched him without further incident. He was caught high up on the hind leg. I'm glad I was there when this happened, otherwise That trap would have likely been empty by morning. This all happened in a matter of 5 minutes from when I set the trap. That is surely a new record for me. That set will be remade tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

Hawks Feather

That sounds pretty exciting.  Thanks for taking me along.

Jerry

KySongDog

Nice story!   That was exciting!   :congrats:

FinsnFur

Nice read Steve. Thanks for taking the time.
I had a different perception of a beaver mauling at first, but  :shrug: :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks guys...this is what I love about trapping - You just never know. I'm planning to set a few after work tonight and a couple more tomorrow then pull everything on Saturday for the season end. I already have enough pelts for my wifes coat, but I want to be able to ship some to Canada for the auction too.

Steve

HaMeR

Purdy cool stuff Steve!! Thanks for sharing that!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Thanks guys...Jim - you're a dirty old man :iroll: Pulled another 40 pounder this morning out of a different colony. One day left...

Dave

Quote from: Coulter on March 28, 2012, 08:34:34 PM
  He was on top of the trap when it finally went off. 

Did anyone else laugh when reading that line, or is it just me that's a little warped?

Thanks - that was a good story.  Sounds like you got a good workout  in making that trek back and forth a few times with waders.  My legs would object to that type of abuse about 2 am the next morning.

Coulter

There are a few warped guys here Dave...just ask Jim :iroll:

Running in neoprene chest waders is definitely not high up on my list of things I'd like to do again. The season is all over, I just finished putting the furs up last night about 10pm. They should be ready for shipping when the truck comes by.

Steve

FinsnFur

Quote from: Coulter on April 01, 2012, 11:02:06 AM
There are a few warped guys here Dave...just ask Jim :iroll:

I didnt laugh, I'm not warped. I was very concerned ;yes;
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com