• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Here is my story...

Started by Coulter, April 28, 2007, 02:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I took out the new bloodwood / curly maple call I made for a test ride for todays opener. It performed exceptionally well, I used it almost exclusively. The birds were pretty tight lipped today, but I finally got a gobble at 10am, Three birds came into view about ten minutes after the first gobble and skirted around my flank just out of range. One of them did finally come into range and I had my finger on the trigger for what surely would have been a dead bird. Well, almost surely. He stopped coming in at about 40 yards and only offered a semi clear shot. There were a couple branches and some other minor clutter in the shot path. But he stood there for about 30-40 seconds with his head stretched out. The whole time my finger was tickling the trigger, safety off. Should I shoot? Nah, maybe he'll come a little closer and maybe one of the other three is bigger. This bird only appeared to be a 2 year old, and I have the whole season ahead of me still. I decided to hold out for something a tad bigger. The three birds went on there merry way, unspooked and my heartbeat subsided to its normal pace again. What a rush, you gotta love the spring turkey woods :biggrin: :biggrin: Especially when one of your own calls brings 'em in :biggrin: :biggrin:

Steve

Hawks Feather

Having a bird come in to a call that you made has to be a rush.  Maybe the BIG DADDY will arrive on your next hunt.

Jerry

FinsnFur

"Here's my story", he says.  :laf:

And a nice story at that.  :congrats:
So your a well disciplined hunter as well uh? Passing up the first opportunity.
Good deal, and congrats on the calling success. Thanks for sharing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Makes ya feel good to call a bird with a call you made for sure! Congrads!

Brent

HaMeR

Cool story. I've always said it's not always about the kill. Sometimes an experience like that is better.

But hey,, that's just my wierd way of thinking I guess. :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: HaMeR on April 28, 2007, 09:19:27 PM
Cool story. I've always said it's not always about the kill.

Yep, that's exactly what I keep tellin myself about coyote hunting.     :eyebrownod:

By the way, nice story, Steve.   :congrats: