• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent posts

Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / New addition
Last post by Hawks Feather - Today at 05:13:29 PM

I have a part time job doing weights and measures for the county and the money from that goes into my 'I think I like that' fund. Which allowed me to bring this little beauty home. I have a 33 foot 'range' in my basement and it threw groups of .291, .277, and .245 with Crosman Premier and .240 with JSB Diabolo. I think once I find the right pellet it will do even better. 
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Re: First Weapon!
Last post by nastygunz - Today at 04:40:00 PM
When I was about 16 once I saw a partridge sitting up in a pine tree and I picked up a rock and heaved it smacked him right in the head and knocked him out of the tree deader then a door knob. And that was the High Point of my hunting career :biggrin:
The Tailgate / Today in history 4-27
Last post by remrogers - Today at 09:40:53 AM
April 27
U.S. agent William Eaton leads first U.S. Marines battle, on "the shores of Tripoli"

After marching 500 miles from Egypt, U.S. agent William Eaton leads a small force of U.S. Marines and Berber mercenaries against the Tripolitan port city of Derna. The Marines and Berbers were on a mission to depose Yusuf Karamanli, the ruling pasha of Tripoli, who had seized power from his brother, Hamet Karamanli, a pasha who was sympathetic to the United States.

It would be the U.S. Marines' first battle and the first raising of the U.S. flag on foreign soil.

The First Barbary War had begun four years earlier, when U.S. President Thomas Jefferson ordered U.S. Navy vessels to the Mediterranean Sea in protest of continuing raids against U.S. ships by pirates from the Barbary states—Morocco, Algeria, Tunis, and Tripolitania. American sailors were often abducted along with the captured booty and ransomed back to the United States at an exorbitant price. After two years of minor confrontations, sustained action began in June 1803, when a small U.S. expeditionary force attacked Tripoli harbor in present-day Libya.

In April 1805, a major American victory came during the Derna campaign, which was undertaken by U.S. land forces in North Africa. Supported by the heavy guns of the USS Argus and the USS Hornet, Marines and Arab mercenaries under William Eaton captured Derna and deposed Yusuf Karamanli. Lieutenant Presley O' Bannon, commanding the Marines, performed so heroically in the battle that Hamet Karamanli presented him with an elaborately designed sword that now serves as the pattern for the swords carried by Marine officers. The phrase "to the shores of Tripoli," from the official song of the U.S. Marine Corps, also has its origins in the Derna campaign.
Last post by Okanagan - Yesterday at 10:34:24 PM
I've killed a lot of grouse with rocks.  My best day I got two grouse in two consecutive throws, and my son was there as a witness.

Fishing Photos / Re: Fish on!
Last post by nastygunz - Yesterday at 06:25:41 PM
Joes Flies with a royal coachman streamer, trout kryptonite.
Last post by FinsnFur - Yesterday at 06:12:47 PM
Quote from: msmith on Yesterday at 06:05:11 AM4 more and we'd have a giant killer.

Who works for the power company? Looks like a little housekeeping to get rid of some scrap wire is in order lol

He saves that for the copper. Thats how he funds his air gun addiction  :eyebrow:
The Tailgate / Today in history 4-26
Last post by remrogers - Yesterday at 10:25:30 AM
April 26
Mountain man James Beckwourth is born

James Beckwourth, one of only a handful of early mountain men to emerge from the system of slavery, is born in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

The exact year of Beckwourth's birth is in dispute. Some historians suggest it may have been 1800 rather than 1798. The uncertainty arises both from Beckwourth's notorious reputation for exaggerating and rewriting his own history, as well as the humble circumstances of his birth. The child of a white plantation owner and a Black woman who was likely enslaved, Beckwourth was born into a society that paid little notice to children born of Black mothers.

During his childhood, Beckwourth may have been enslaved. However, by the time he reached adulthood in St. Louis, Missouri, his master had apparently manumitted him and he was regarded as a free Black man. In 1824, he joined William Ashley's third and most arduous fur-trapping expedition to the Rocky Mountains. Beckwourth received a crash course in the dangers of mountain life, just barely managing to avoid death by freezing or starvation. Despite the risks, Beckwourth enjoyed being a mountain man, and he spent the next several years as a free trapper.

Trapping in the Powder River country of Wyoming, Beckwourth began to forge a close alliance with the Crow Indians. Sometime between 1826-1828, he abandoned American society altogether and joined the Crow people. The Crow had long been friendly with trappers, and they apparently welcomed Beckwourth into their society. Beckwourth learned the Crow language, customs, and ways of living, and he married at least two Crow women and fathered several children. Beckwourth later claimed that he became a powerful chief among the Crow, though historians have questioned whether this was another of his exaggerations.

In the mid-1830s, Beckwourth left his adopted home with the Crow and joined the Missouri volunteer military force as a scout. He saw action in the Seminole War in Florida, fighting under General Zachary Taylor. Beckwourth left the army in 1840 and spent the next decade wandering around the West, occasionally making some quick cash by stealing horses. Eventually settling near Denver, Colorado, Beckwourth continued to work periodically as a civilian scout for military parties. In this capacity, Beckwourth had a role in the infamous Sand Creek Massacre of 1864, but how much Beckwourth knew about or participated in that inexcusable massacre of Native peoples is still disputed.

Not long after the Sand Creek Massacre, Beckwourth again abandoned Anglo-American society and returned to the Crow tribe. As with his birth, the details of Beckwourth's death are uncertain. Some accounts say he died in 1866 among his adopted people, and they laid him to rest in Crow fashion on a tree platform; others indicate he may have died near Denver in 1867.

Fishing Photos / Re: Fish on!
Last post by msmith - Yesterday at 07:06:50 AM
Quote from: HaMeR on April 25, 2024, 05:21:10 PMI love those Mepps!!

I do too but Joe's are my favorite.
Last post by msmith - Yesterday at 06:05:11 AM
4 more and we'd have a giant killer.

Who works for the power company? Looks like a little housekeeping to get rid of some scrap wire is in order lol
Fishing Equipment / Re: Look what I found
Last post by FinsnFur - April 25, 2024, 09:51:28 PM
Quote from: HaMeR on April 25, 2024, 05:23:21 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on April 22, 2024, 08:20:00 AMYou have a good eye for spotting that one.

Prolly not so hard when he was untangling his own swim bait from the same brush hangin over the water.  :shrug:  :shrug:

:laf:  :laf:

Shut up Glen :alscalls:  :alscalls: 
Your actually close though :laf:
I was was looking for arrow heads as I walked the shore casting. Mississippi River up here in our little "Driftless Region, holds a TON of Native American Archaeology. Every spring more gets exposed.