Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bow Hunting-Archery / Re: Crossbow question
« Last post by Hawks Feather on Today at 09:31:52 AM »
Slag,

I have more crossbows than I need, but have shot a few deer with all but one.  The link that Nasty gave looks like a decent broadhead. I used one that was similar for my first deer, but after that went to mechanical. One of the first mechanical that I used had a little rubber band that went over the blades to make sure that they didn’t open before making contact.  That might be something for Baloo to try. I do like that the mechanical give a wider cut, which is the reason that I am using them. I don’t know about the one that you fired that belongs to your neighbor, but they do have some power. I guess I like the fact that I can just hold it like a firearm and not need to be holding the draw on a compound – even with the let-off that many have.

Jerry
The Tailgate / Re: Tip of the day
« Last post by chieftain on Today at 08:25:30 AM »
dressing fish with an electric knife is much faster......visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Tailgate / Today tn history 10-17
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 07:39:31 AM »

The Drifters top the U.S. pop charts on October 17, 1960, with "Save the Last Dance For Me."

Following McPhatter's departure in 1956, Treadwell ran through six different lead singers in two years before firing the entire group in 1958 and starting over from scratch. Version 2.0 of the Drifters was a group centered around lead singer Benjamin Nelson and originally called the Five Crowns. With that group taking on the new name "the Drifters," and with Nelson changing his to Ben E. King, a new era of success for the group began. Placed in the hands of producer Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller by their label, Atlantic Records, these new Drifters scored immediate hits with "There Goes My Baby" (1959) and "This Magic Moment" (1960) followed by the song that topped the Billboard pop charts on this day in 1960, "Save The Last Dance For Me."

But this was not the last lineup of the Drifters to enjoy success. Following Ben. E. King's departure in 1960, group member Rudy Lewis took over lead singing duties on the hits "Up On The Roof" (1963) and "On Broadway" (1963), and following Lewis's death in 1964, Johnny Moore took over and scored yet another hit with "Under The Boardwalk" (1964).

Considering the group's track record, it was little wonder that voters for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame selected the Drifters for induction in 1988 alongside the Beatles, the Supremes, the Beach Boys and Bob Dylan. The thorny question was, "Which Drifters to induct?" From among more than 30 singers who had been Drifters up to that point in time, the Hall of Fame selected seven for induction, including all four of the aforementioned lead singers: Clyde McPhatter, Ben E. King, Rudy Lewis and Johnny Moore.
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 06:18:27 AM »
 They just passed a law in Vermont last year that anyone 50 and over can use a crossbow for regular hunting seasons without having a disability permit.
« Last post by slagmaker on Yesterday at 09:43:48 PM »
I passed the info on to him.

I might have to get me one of those stick slingers. Got to fire my neighbors not expensive one and was impressed with the feel.
The Tailgate / Re: What is this? 10-14
« Last post by FinsnFur on Yesterday at 09:37:31 PM »
REALLY!!???  :shock2:
I was being sarcastic as "L" :laf: :laf:
« Last post by pitw on Yesterday at 08:53:12 PM »
Watching an idiot siphon is great entertainment. :biggrin:
« Last post by bambam on Yesterday at 04:00:46 PM »
The most used sexual position is doggie style;  the husband sits and begs and the wife plays dead.
The Tailgate / Today in history 10-16
« Last post by remrogers on Yesterday at 10:29:19 AM »
John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry

Abolitionist John Brown leads a small group on a raid against a federal armory in Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia), in an attempt to start an armed slave revolt and destroy the institution of slavery.

Born in Connecticut in 1800 and raised in Ohio, Brown came from a staunchly Calvinist and antislavery family. He spent much of his life failing at a variety of businesses–he declared bankruptcy at age 42 and had more than 20 lawsuits filed against him. In 1837, his life changed irrevocably when he attended an abolition meeting in Cleveland, during which he was so moved that he publicly announced his dedication to destroying the institution of slavery. As early as 1848 he was formulating a plan to incite an insurrection.

In the 1850s, Brown traveled to Kansas with five of his sons to fight against the proslavery forces in the contest over that territory. On May 21, 1856, proslavery men raided the abolitionist town of Lawrence, and Brown personally sought revenge. On May 25, Brown and his sons attacked three cabins along Pottawatomie Creek. They killed five men with broad swords and triggered a summer of guerilla warfare in the troubled territory. One of Brown’s sons was killed in the fighting.

By 1857, Brown returned to the East and began raising money to carry out his vision of a mass uprising of slaves. He secured the backing of six prominent abolitionists, known as the “Secret Six,” andassembled an invasion force. His “army” grew to include 22 men, including five black men and three of Brown’s sons. The group rented a Maryland farm near Harpers Ferry and prepared for the assault.

On the night of October 16, 1859, Brown and his band overran the arsenal. Some of his men rounded up a handful of hostages, including a few slaves. Word of the raid spread, and by morning Brown and his men were surrounded. A company of U.S. marines arrived on October 17, led by Colonel Robert E. Lee and Lieutenant J. E. B. Stuart. On the morning of October 19, the soldiers overran Brown and his followers. Ten of his men were killed, including two of his sons.

The wounded Brown was tried by the state of Virginia for treason and murder, and he was found guilty on November 2.The 59-year-old abolitionistwent to the gallows on December 2, 1859. Before his execution, he handed his guard a slip of paper that read, “I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood.” It was a prophetic statement. Although the raid failed, it inflamed sectional tensions and raised the stakes for the 1860 presidential election. Brown’s raid helped make any further accommodation between North and South nearly impossible and thus became an important impetus of the Civil War.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10