• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Molded Tone Boards

Started by Todd Rahm, January 15, 2007, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl54

Good points Ladobe.  I guess I can admit my remarks contained exaggeration as I was trying to stress my desire to make good tone boards.  I'll even concede the barrel is an important componet.  I enjoy exploring how different woods, different wall thickness, and different shapes effect tone and volume.  But on an open reed call I still hold that the mouth piece is large part, a dominating part, of that type of call.

The closed reed comparison, in my opinion, is not a fair one.  (Seriously, I'm awed that you actually made your own  :bowingsmilie:  I thought in the old days they just cut the sqeekers out of dolls  :innocentwhistle:)   I'll bet you don't just buy a JC product reed and poke it in the call body.  You probably spent alot of time learning to blade, file, and sand the reeds to make them sound the way you want them to.  I've messed with them just enough to know the call body design can effect not only the sound, but how easily they blow.  With the open reed your design dictates these factors.
                                                                            Randy

Todd Rahm

Hey RJL,

Welcome to the board. Sorry I haven't commented on your calls, but at work I can't see them yet.  :madd:

Some of the earlier calls I have, have brass reeds secured to the tone board with string. Neat stuff.

Aaron I had a big reply about the delrin and PVC, and the custom call question, but it got lost and at entry and I just wasn't up to retyping it. I'lll try again later.

Idea:  Maybe Al's tips for refining his crow call inserts, would snazzy up the open reed tone boards?

Arkyyoter

Well, I have sat back and watched this thread for some time now...... I suppose I will add my thoughts/observations/opinions, while they will certainly not be as eloquently spoken as some, I will endeavor to express myself. Please be mindful of the fact I am just a dumb old hillbilly....

When I began attempting to learn to make calls, I started with enclosed reed calls. I used JC Products reeds (and still do). While my first calls were even more rudimentary than my present attempts, they were functional. I can still remember the first coyote I called in with a call I created with my own hands....and somewhere, I still have that ugly little call.

After attaining some meager amount of skill with this type call, I began to aspire to learn to make open reed calls. I spent many hours in countless attempts to make tone boards from delrin, acrylic and a veritable plethora of other available materials. I would make one that was good, and the next three would have several hours time invested, just to find they were unacceptable.

It was at this time I met Steve Barbour. Steve had began to mold tone boards of his own design, and they wee nothing short of fantastic....they still are....and they were consistant....every one was a good as the last. I began to buy tone boards from Steve for my open reed calls.

Over a period of time, I made many tone boards form wood or delrin, and began to be somewhat more successful. It was then I began to experiment with silicon molding, and molding my own designs. I still experiment with regularity with designs, as I am never content with the status quo...but I have one or two of my own with which I am very nearly satisfied.

At any rate, I still make my own tone boards, and they are molded. I do not feel as if my calls are less because of this feature, nor do I feel they are more. I do agree that to a large extent, the tone board is the major factor creating the quality of sound.

I have of late began experimenting with an injection molded tone board assembly, and I like it very much as well. I guess when using these "inserts" I am in fact just making napkin holders, but I am happy with the outcome. They call varmints, and I like them.

I do not claim to be a master at this craft, or any other....I don't even claim to be competent. I have much to learn.

Now for the matter at hand...I think there are many reasons why one would use a commercially created tone board, not the least of which is the ability to shorten the learning curve. It yields consistency and alleviates many countless hours of frustration...

The tone board in question is sold by several folks, including KO Predator Solutions. It does in fact have a good sound and is easily tuned. It is somewhat ungainly in appearance, but effective.

I have no doubt that Todd had pure intentions with this post, meaning no harm to anyone.  I sincerely hope I haven't stepped on any toes with this reply, as that was not my intention.

RLJ, I think you are off to a good start!!

Carry on men, I am watching and learning.....

Joe

rjl54

Fellas, I forgot to thank you for the warm welcome and nice comments.  I'm interested in your collective opinion concerning glued in toneboards vs. friction fit.  I'll start another thread for that.  Right now, I have no preference but I'm itching to know what you guys think.

Randy

AWSparrows

Todd,
Retype it pleeeeeeease, I'm interested in what you have to say.
That's a good idea but it may only make it look better, it would still be the dreaded molded tone board.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm unsure it would be worth it to make my own tone boards, rewarding.....yes, worth it....I don't think so.
I'm fairly new to call making and right now I'm trying to make NICE field calls,  I'm not looking to set the world on fire.  :shrug: I love making calls and can make them pretty quik. I would rather make a few with molded tone boards in one night than hope to finish one with making the tone board in the same amount of time.
I don't feel the market for high end custom predator calls is there and therefor at this time I'm not going to spent countless hours perfecting my tone board making skills and hope that my "artwork" will sell, and at a price where I will at the least break even.
The way predator hunting is growing the market may change and who knows maybe I will too. :shrug:

Maybe I'm looking at this whole thing from a different angle but I have been predator hunting a little better than half my life and I never met a fox or coyote that cared about tone, pitch, sound chamber construction, or resonance. whether it be enclosed/open, commercial/custom, or any variation of them, as long as it sounds like something in distress it will work.

Sorry if I offended anyone
Aaron

nailbender

You can choose quanity or quality. If you want to produce income, quantity is the way to go.  Nothing wrong with proven toneboards, they work, and sound good, or they wouldn't have been produced in the first place.
   In my opinion if you want to sell a custom call it should be your own work, end to end, good or bad.

Todd Rahm

Hey Joe, thanks for posting and thanks for noticing that my initial post isn't an attack. Its actualy heading where initially intended.

RJL, I'm at home now.  :biggrin: Nice look'n call's.  :congrats: If thats what your starting out  at your going to be dangerous once you gain some experience.

Ok fellas this post NOTHING to do with the sound of the tone boards, but the bulking plastic looking tone boards, as the one Joe mentioned is made by KO and someone else metioned WoodsWise was making one just like it.

As I thought I mentioned, but maybe not. I'm not against molded tone boards, because I  understand thier need. What I am pointing out is the bulk of several, and the way they are married to the call.  Aaron my point, if you can make it look better, it won't just look like you stuck a "dreaded molded tone board" into the end of a possable $30 call. 

It not that its delrin, pvc, or molded, but how it is presented. I thought Al's idea was a perty good one and thought if it gets rid of the molding signs and shines it up a little better, well theres one obsticle over come.

QuoteI have been predator hunting a little better than half my life and I never met a fox or coyote that cared about tone, pitch, sound chamber construction, or resonance. whether it be enclosed/open, commercial/custom, or any variation of them, as long as it sounds like something in distress it will work.

Your 100% right, but they are not your market.  :confused: The market is the callers and collectors, or you wouldn't be trying to sell them, and there wouldn't be all this compatition between call makers to come up with the hottest/latest/newest call.

No body is offending and hopefully no one is being offended. What this is supposed to be is simple constructive information, that can be taken, or left.

I have a lot and have seen a lot of calls, I have seen call makers come and go, and I have seen call makers get mad because they couldn't sell a call, when some call makers were selling everthing they posted, and in some case had a waiting list. So what I try to do is approach subjects like this that some like to skirt, because it needs to be out there and discussed, and because I think it will better some things, generate ideas and spur growth.

Ladobe stated, that its the things between the lines that aren't said, that speak the most volumns, and I couldn't agree more, but not all hear or see that.

Why should some one buy a wooden barreled call with a tone board in it for $20-$50, when theres production calls like WoodsWise that are exatly the same for $12-$15?

I'm just trying to get the point across and seek suggestions and ideas, not badger or offend. If I have offended anyone please PM me, if you disagree and want to keep it private, please PM.

Todd

THO Game Calls

QuoteMaybe I'm looking at this whole thing from a different angle but I have been predator hunting a little better than half my life and I never met a fox or coyote that cared about tone, pitch, sound chamber construction, or resonance. whether it be enclosed/open, commercial/custom, or any variation of them, as long as it sounds like something in distress it will work.

So why should I pay 20, 30, 40 or more for a call that wont work any better than a 5 dollar Crit R Call?

Who here would take a CritR Call, Tweety, Primos Regulator or some other commercial call, measure the outside diameter of the barrel, drill a hole the same size in a piece of wood, glue it in there and call it a custom call?  

Why wouldn't you?  One of the big arguments for molded tone boards is Consistancy of Sound.  Every CritRCall I have ever used, and I have used a fair amount of them, sounds just like any other CritRCall.  I have a couple Tweetys, they sound just alike.  Tally Ho's in different colors?  Close your eyes and the yellow one sounds just like the whte, or red ones.  

None of those calls have a "barrel" to speak of (and there is a reason for that) so you could do it easily.  Would it be a custom call?  Would you try to sell it as a custom call?  

Why not?  We have no problem using a commercial tone board, drilling a hole in that piece of wood, gluing it in there and accepting it as custom call.  What is the difference?  Really?  

I really don't care if you use molded tone boards, some one elses hand made tone boards or ones from a commercial call.  It that makes you happy, then go for it.  Have fun and call coyotes to your hearts content.

But let me ask you this.   When call maker A's custom call sounds just like call maker B's custom call which sounds just like call maker C's custom call, and the hunter wants something a little different, is going to take a chance on call maker D's custom call which uses the same molded toneboard as A B and C's custom call?  And while it is very true that we all blow a call differently, I can tell a CritRCall from a Tweety, or a JS, or even from a Primos Regulator.  And if I can tell the difference, do you think the coyotes can too?  Do you think it makes a difference to the coyotes?  How about to the hunter?  I know that when I go out I take several calls with me that all sound a bit different.  I don't hang 4 calls on my lanyard that all sound the same.   Yet if call makers A B C and D all use the same tone boards, isn't this what they are trying to get the hutner to do?  Load up his lanyard or call bag with several calls that all sound the same?  

This thread got started with a simple question about perhaps doing something about the tansition of the call barrel to the tone board.  I wrote Todd and told him that instead of worrying about the transition of the barrel to the tone board, we might be better served by concentrating on the transition from call builder to call maker.  

There are a lot of call builders out there.  Heck, when I started making calls, I was nothing more than a call builder.  

What's the difference?  Ladobe touched on it in his post.  I'll add some.  

I can change the sound of a closed reed call by working on the reed.  I can blade it. crease it, file the edges, the end, bend the front of it up.  I can make the bore 1/2 inch, 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch and each will have an effect on the sound and on how easy the call is to blow.  I can make the barrel 2 inches long, 3, 3 1/2. 4 or even longer and each will have an effect on the sound.  I can step drill the sound chamber or leave it straight.  I can taper the mouth piece, make a longer mouth piece that allows the reed to be set deeper in the call, and each will have an effect on the sound.  

Can a closed reed call be a custom call?  Deffinately.   And anyone who tells you otherwise is a call builder rather than a call maker.  So now, when someone tells you that closed reed calls are not really custom calls because they all use the same reeds, you will know you are dealing with a call builder and not a call maker.

Now, take open reed calls.  

What if the tone board itself is very wide, or very narrow?  Will it effect the sound?  One will let you use a wider air channel and a wider reed.   What happens if the air channel is wide and deep?  Will that effect the sound?  What if the air channel is wide but shallow, giviing it the same area as a deep but narrow air channel on a narrow tone board?   Which will be easier to blow?  What about reed thickness?  Shape?  What about how the reed is seated in the tone board?  What if it has an upward slant to it?  What if it is seated a bit higher than the reed bridge?  Do you even know what the reed bridge is?  What if I sand the edges of the reed?   What if I use a double reed?  

The barrel of the open reed can be long or short, wiide or narrow.   What effect will that have on back pressure?  What is back pressure?  How does it effect the sound and preformace of your call?  Will it cause your call to have a pitch break?  Most commercial calls do not have a barrel.  Why?  Because the molding process is not that percise.  And if they were to put long barrels on them, they would probably have a good many calls with nasty pitch breaks because back pressure has an effect on the way the tone board works.    But not only does the size of the bore make a difference, as does the length, but the way the call is designed to be held can make a difference.  Your hands can cause back pressure and pitch breaks too.  

What about the way the tone board is seated in the barrel?   Glued in?  Press fit?  Plastic to wood glue in's are bound to fail.  Press fit will either fall out over time or crack the barrel.  

Call builders don't understand any of this.  Worse, most of them just blow it off as the ramblings of a mad man.  

But call makers do understand it, and use it to make custom calls.  

Does it matter to the coyotes?   They used to call them with scratchy old 78 RPM records.   Old e callers had 8 to 15 second sound loops and still called coyoes.

So, if you are happy using molded tone boards, or sticking JC product reeds in a fancy barrel, go for it.  Your calls are going to work, and you will sell a few and have fun.

But if you love to make calls, if you ever want to set yourself appart from the call builders, for what ever reason, give me a shout.  I have over 6 pages of notes taken from various boards on making open reed calls.  It will give you a start.  And I can send you to the best article ever written on tuning JC reeds.  

And finally, if you think I am completely crazy, or just some nut, ask yourself how it is that Rich Cronk and use PVC for the barrels of his open reeds, sell them for more than just about anyone, and sell everyone he makes.   You think he would be able to do that if he was sticking a molded tone board in the end of a piece of plastic pipe?

I told Todd I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, and this will be all I have to say on it.  I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone by this post.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Jimmie in Ky

I too make calls and sell just enough to keep my addiction satisfied. But even more so I am a user of good calls. I am also a student of coyote behavior, not as good as some fellas I know OF,but I am trying my damnedest to get where they are in knowledge.

Someone made th comment that the pitch or sound doesn't matter. I definately believe it does play a role. You make a call that sounds similar to what comes over the counter and yes, it will call coyotes. But how do they react to it. Do they come charging in or slipping around in the brush looking for a peek at what is making the racket. How do the other animals react to th call your using. Do the birds come in kama kaze style in your ears. DO the hawks and eagles make numerous passes to see thet critter? If you make a fawn bleat call, do the does come sneaking in or pissed as hell looking to kill something? If they come in at all !

Does the wood you use make a diference? Yes it does! You mate a good call design with the right woods and you have a magical tool .They will all work quite well, but there is a distinct diference in how animals react to th same call in two diferent woods.

A good call must not only work as intended but must have a pleasing balance to the eye of the buyer. It is he who dictates what we do in the long run. It must feel right in the hand and please the eye and ear. In the case of open reeds all this becomes even more important. Does it have a balanced look? How versatile is the call? Are you capable, as the builder, of making an open reed do anything but tapp dance in order to judge for yourself just how far you have progressed in your abilities. Does the tone board you buy to put in your calls meet the standards of such a caller?

As a user and owner of a great number of open reed calls, I am picky as hell ! I want the call to feel good in my hand and be capable of making as many sounds as possible. It cannot be cumbersome to use or be in the way.I have only one custom call makers open reeds on my string.  I judge all others by his work, his are that good in my opinion. Some of these calls weren't worth the time it took to get them out of the package. Yes they are pretty and all of that, but they just aren't good enough.

So , you aren't just working to please yourself. Your working to please the most demanding buyer. You want me to own several of the same model just in case one does go down on me.Jimmie

Arkyyoter

We have touched on many aspects of the construction/creation/assembling of calls. I find merit in all forms...to me it actually depends on what hat you wish to wear, as we all cannot wear the same one all the time.

There are many aspects that guide us in our endeavors...desire, capability, ability, intelligence, skill, physical/mental attributes, finances, ego, personality, and a host of others. We generally use these things, in conjunction with life experiences, expectations, and situations with which to determine a direction, a "compass" if you will.

There are many kinds of "call creating" gentlemen, as there are also many kinds of call using gentlemen, some of which, overlap. There are many socio economic limitations placed on both...some folks use a plastic call because that's what they can afford....some because they simply like 'em.....and some because they may be successful with them. Others may even prefer them.

There are a few call making greats out there, very few...  we are fortunate to have a few on this board, and the rest of us
can learn a great deal from their experiences and advice.

How do we become a great call maker? Is it skill with hand tools/machinery? Attitude? Pure old tenacity? Experience? Desire and ability? All of this and a whole lot more? "Aye, there's the rub."

I personally will most likely never become a "call maker."  I suppose that would come under the guise of what parameters were used in this determination.  Can I fashion a very good tone board from antler/horn/wood/delrin/acrylic/plastic, one at a time? Yes I can!  Do I care to do that as a general rule? No I don't! Can I tune a closed reed from J.C. Products? Yes I can and do on every closed reed call I send out.

Does the above information make me an elitist... or sub-par.... or anything else? I certainly hope not, as I would find that disdainful. I do not believe that was the spirit in which this post was began.

So, now that we have this established, we must, as consumers, as well as providers, decide what it is that we desire. We must define success within the realm of our own station in life. If our heart's desire is a high end custom call, made by a true master, by all means....buy it!! Will it call more predators than all other calls....probably not, but if it makes you happy and content....if it fills a niche in your psyche, or you simply enjoy it, and you can afford it...go for it. I have a few calls from men such as these, and I love them....some are almost art.  I am humbled each and every time I hold such a call, but I must I maintain one is no better or worse because he can either posses or create a call such as these.

I am content and happy with the calls I "assemble"... either from wood or plastic or whatever. I personally endeavor to be creative, innovative, and effective...I suppose the old adage is true, " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

As I stated in my first post, I claim no expertise in this field or any other. I still have a lot to learn, and try to grow in ability every day.

My hat is off to you all...

Joe

Jimmie in Ky

Arky, neither you nor THO have ever been content with what you assemble. I have been watching you both for years and have seen the changes in both of you and your products. You two are continually searching for a better mouse trap . It's true that your goals are both diferent, but you are far from content. If you were content you would still be making the same calls time after time, year after year. But you are not.

It is the search for perfection that drives the best . Ideas of perfection vary from person to person but they are still there in each . That is what makes a call maker. And I would have to rate you and THO among them.

As users, if we don't speak up and be honest, how will the callmakers know when they are getting there? Do we continue to heap praise on the soso calls and let them collect dust on the shelf, leading others to believe they are getting the best out there? No , we are not being honest for fear of hurting their feelings. We let them carry on thinking they are on the right track.

I was totally honest with a good call maker once. Our conversations were all private and no one but us knew about them. He sent me a call and wanted to know what all that call could do and I told him .I haven't heard from him since.The call was intended to do it all and it could not. Was I supposed to lie to him and let him go happily on his way thinking he had it right? Was I supposed to jump on his bandwagon and praise this call to the masses so he could make some fast cash from them?

This fellow made his own choice and doesn't sell a lot of calls anymore. Folks talk among themselves and word gets out anyway after a few have plunked down their hard earned cash. That is a shame because he was very skilled with the tools and made some beautiful calls.

You have to take criticism as it is intended and learn from it. You cannot let your ego get in the way and ignore what others are telling you. And you also have to be your own worst critic . Jimmie

AWSparrows

Great replies everyone. :congrats:

I have no problem saying that I am new to the world of call making and do not know as much as others when it comes to making tone boards, hell I'm not even the best caller out there. I will say that I have made usable cow horn howlers using the horn as my tone board, I have also made usable tone boards for open reed calls, and I also made a mouth piece design for a horn howler using a latex reed (sorta like an E.L.K. power howler) and it works!(see pic below)  Like I said before, where I'm at right now it is not feasible for me to make my own tone boards.
In short, I guess I make what you could call.........Semi-Custom Calls, and I'm happy with being a "call builder" for now.

Latex mouth piece,top left cow horn.

2nd howler I made using horn as tone board.

THO,
You have a LOT of questions there. I feel a lot of them may have been rhetorical questons but think some are directed at me.  :shrug:

QuoteBut if you love to make calls, if you ever want to set yourself appart from the call builders, for what ever reason, give me a shout.  I have over 6 pages of notes taken from various boards on making open reed calls.  It will give you a start.  And I can send you to the best article ever written on tuning JC reeds.

I would greatly appreciate any info you would send me.
slsaws2004@netzero.net

QuoteAnd finally, if you think I am completely crazy, or just some nut, ask yourself how it is that Rich Cronk and use PVC for the barrels of his open reeds, sell them for more than just about anyone, and sell everyone he makes.   You think he would be able to do that if he was sticking a molded tone board in the end of a piece of plastic pipe?

Honestly.....yes I think if Rich started using molded tone boards they would still sell.
I truely believe there is more to selling calls for a good price than the call alone.

I have not taken offence to anyones posts, and hope no one has taken any from mine.
You all have very good points and are making me rethink my opinions of calls, call making, and call makers.

Thanks
Aaron

PS
Molded tone board or not, I would rather have this around my neck then a store bought production call.

Todd Rahm

While we have digressed a little, I really like whats being said, and that the fact its remaing objective and constructive. At this point I think better information is being gleened, then the transition of a tone board.

QuoteHonestly.....yes I think if Rich started using molded tone boards they would still sell.
I truely believe there is more to selling calls for a good price than the call alone.

%110 correct........one thing that keeps me coming back for one is the spinner behind the call.  Very good point Aaron

On the other hand I think rich would go out of business if he used molded tone boards. Honestly how hard would it be to stick a molded tone board into a polished cow horn, for far more less then $75?  What makes Rich special (No not the short bus Rich)  :innocentwhistle: Is his ablity to build, shape and tune his tone boards to specific horn, sounds and request, not to boot his experience.  :congrats: and because of the fella behind the call.  :wink:

P.S. Ya know I have heard fellas prefere another howler over Rich's, and I have heard plenty of folks that love Richs howlers, but ya know what I have never heard..............................I never heard anyone say any thing bad about Rich's howlers.   Another one of those, when nothing is said "Louder then hell" between the line statements.

Jimmie in Ky

If Rich Cronk had been using molded tone boards, he would not have the reputation he has today. I own four of his killer calls myself. One of them was a prototype he sent me to check out after I ordered my first, killer jr. The variety of sounds these calls could do well was astonishing, even better than the critter call I was using. It is calls like these that lead folks to become a more versatile caller, using more sounds. I would not have the skills with a call without these.

And without Rich's mentoring, a lot of call makers would not be around today. Nor would they be as inventive as they are. I believe we can thank Rich for the huge steps that have been made in predator calls over the last few years, both custom and what the industry is trying to do for us now.

I think a lot of us owe a huge thank you to Rich for his work. Jimmie

Dogwood Creek

Hey all. Quite a controversy to say the least. I too have dealt with the tone board issue. I have used Steve's with great success. They were kinda the standard for a long time. But, I can't keep my prices in line adding 2 to 3 dollars a piece for a tone board. I wish I had the time to mold my own, but such isn't the case. So for now, I machine them from Copolymer. A little labor involved, but I can get a 4 foot piece for a few dollars. When I have the raw materials, i.e. antler, cowhorn, or other odd natural materials, I like to use them too. Keeps a custom flair in the call. I don't charge as much per call as some, more than others. So far no one has complained. Here is a set I did with deer antler mouthpiece and tone board. They are my idea of a true custom call. Not necessarily the ultimate, but custom for sure.

Take care all and keep whackin those predators,R.J.

FinsnFur

RJ those are beautiful  :biggrin:
I've never seen the antler mouth piece or tone board like that. Or maybe I dont get out enough  :confused: either way...those are NNNnnnnnice  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

rjl54

R.J. those are sharp looking calls.  Tell us more about copolymer.  Where do you get it?.  How is it to work?  Antler looks great, but man it does stink when you machine it.
                                                                           Randy

Arkyyoter

Those look really nice RJ!!

Joe

Dogwood Creek

Thanks guys. I get my Acetal Copolymer rod from MSC. www.mscdirect.com. I get it in 4 ft lengths in the dia required. Depends on the size toneboard you want to make. I cut it to the individual length, split it length ways, then finish machining it in a vertical mill. That includes the trough. I then sand the radius on it and assemble it with a cork wedge. The nice thing about copolymer, is it is more resistant to moisture than delrin, or cast nylon. Like I said, I would sooner get set up to mold my own, but just not able to take the time to. Not to mention not knowing how to go about it,R.J.

CypressSlough

After thinking aout it and re-reading my post I decided to come in at a different angle. I agree with the look of the bulky tone boards. They do take away from an otherwise really nice looking call. Personally I don't know if there is anything you could do to change the looks of it without making the barrel overly bulky or really thin and weak around the transition.

But, I do have a question. Why did you start making calls in the first place? Just for the fun of it? For the money? Or for the drive to make a better call? Me personally, speaking from a duck call point of view, it was lack of finding a good call that would do exactly what I wanted it to do. They either had a good top end and a lack luster low end or vice versa. I wanted one that had both with a good midrange as well. I could have used molded tone boards, but what would I have been accomplishing? When I had finally made a call that would do what I wanted it to, all of my buddies had to have one, also. From there, word of mouth brought in more orders. If I had used a molded tone board would my callmaking have continued and grown? No it wouldn't have. It came from my ability to adjust my calls to fit each hunter that wanted one. Again speaking from a duck call point of view. A callmaker's main focus should be the sound quality of his calls, and then the cosmetics of it. Not the other way around. The designs of my calls have been a 12 year evolution. Always looking for a little more from them. If you are happy with using molded tone boards that sound just like everyone else's, go ahead and use them. I'm not saying they are a bad thing. Tka e Joe's calls for example, he uses alot of molded tone boards, but they are of his own design and look good and sound great. Making them different than everyone else's. Back to those bulky tone boards, if you are going to put the time into coming up with your own "custom" barrel design, then take the time to transition the barrel to that tone board so it doesn't take away from the call. I hope I didn't step on too many toes. Thanks, Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503