• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase - J.B. Calls (John_NY)

Started by John_NY, August 31, 2010, 04:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_NY

Typing up a bio. is not my cup of tea but I'll give it a shot.

My name is John. I am a full time taxidermist. I live in Northern New York in St. Lawrence county. I am  between the adirondack mountains and the St. Lawrence river in what is called the St. Lawrence valley. I am suppose to be mounting a whitetail shoulder mount today but the temp. is 95 so I'm not doing it. Too hot for an old man.

My wife's name is Cheryl and we have been married for 36 years.
We have 2 grown children a Daughter 29 and a Son 35. Both  are doing well. We have
one grandaughter "my sons daughter". She is 10 years old now and cute as a button.

I enjoy hunting, target shooting, wood carving and turning calls. I first
started making calls around 4 years ago because I didn't get the call I asked
for at Christmas time. "That's the truth" So I decided to make my own. I prefer
using antler for calls but it is limited to the season and how much I can
scrounge up. I make mostly predator calls. But have made a few deer grunts and
bleats as well as a few squirrel, coon and an occasional duck call. There isn't
enough room to thank all the people who helped me get started but they know who
they are and I thank each and everyone of them for their guidance.

My first year of call making was all done with antler. I didn't have a lathe
yet so I used a belt sander, drill press and a dremel tool. The building I use for
call making is only 10x12 and not heated. It gets a tad chilly making calls in
the winter, but I have been known to be in the shop making a call in 30 below temps.
But being from N.Y. that just means it's time to put on gloves. 

The call I'm giving away is a piece of whitetail antler for the barrel and a
piece of Cherry for the mouth piece. Once I turned the mouth piece I left it on
the lathe and used the backside of the sandpaper to burn the wood. It's not as
black as it looks in the pictures. The call is dipped in waterbased polyurethane
after finished to seal the antler inside and out. It is voiced in cottontail but
I can switch it out to jack rabbit if you prefer.

I'd like to say thank you Jim for the opportunity to be here.

Thanks
John

J.B. Calls

This is the call that will be given away.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Todd Rahm

Well that's a fine write up John and an equally fine call to represent your work.  :congrats:

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Bopeye

That thing is a beautiful piece of work. My hat's off to you.  :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

M,Yingling

Carolina Coyote

Glad you posted a little more about yourself John, nice looking call and the call stand is pretty neat, put a heater in that call making shop bound to be plenty of firewood laying around, working out there in the cold might give you arthritis.  :nono: cc

coyote101

Nice write up and a beauty of a call.  :highclap: :highclap: Love those antler calls.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Great to see you got it all working here John!! That's a dang nice call for sure. Somebody is gonna be a happy coyote caller at the end of the month.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

It is always nice to know a little bit more about the members who hang around FnF.  Nice calls too.

Jerry

John_NY

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it. It's a little to late to worry about arthritis though. Already got that.   :madd:   I use the call stand alot to take pictures of calls. The elk that that base came from was a huge set of antlers. I probably shouldn't have cut them up into pieces.  :alscalls: 

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

shaddragger

:bowingsmilie: Really like the contrast in that call John! Excellent work and that stand is sweet too!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

pitw

I'm impressed yet again :bowingsmilie:.  Nice bio by the way, kinda/sorta makes me think I know you :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

John_NY

Thanks guys. Barry if ya win I hope you don't lose it and find it in the spring in a mud puddle again.  :alscalls: 

John

KySongDog

Very nice bio, John, and an extremely nice looking call.   :congrats:

Tappen

Never knew it got that cold in new york :confused:, nice bio and call, great craftsmanship!

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

John_NY

I've seen 45 below zero here before according to my old cheapie thermometer. I just googled it and the coldest recorded temp. in N.Y. was 52 below zero in old forge, N.Y. on Feb. 18, 1979. Yup it gets pretty cold up here,  :alscalls: 

John 

iahntr

Nice John !  :congrats: Thanks for takin the time to do the write up,
and Thank You for putting up the call. Very nice !  :highclap: :highclap:
Scott

Silencer

Nice bio, I love that part of the country.  When I was a kid my aunt and unlce would take me up that way, Visited the Saratoga battlefield many times and the sulfur springs around there.  I swam in the river once, and what sticks out in my head is how wide that baby is.  Our river the Susky looks like a creek in comparison.