• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

General Season is Here!

Started by FOsteology, November 05, 2010, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Tomorrow morning our general season for wt deer begins. I have all the gear and equipment packed, so now I'm about to run out the door and pick-up 250Savage from school and head for the hunting grounds.

Woke up to 37 degrees this morning, and our rut has just begun. Hoping to connect with an older/mature specimen this weekend. Wish us luck!

HuntnCarve

Hope you and Aaron have some great luck!  Be looking forward to the pictures.  Be safe.

Dave

KySongDog

Good luck!  Don't forget to take your "Butt Out"!     :alscalls:

HaMeR

Good Luck fellas!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

:alscalls: @ Semp!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bambam

coyote101

Good luck to both of you FOs.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Have a good hunt, but we all know that this will happen when you get to go hunting with your son.

Jerry

Dave

Sounds like an exciting time of year there.  Take some pics and tell some stories.  Good luck!  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Yeah best of luck to the both of ya. I'm betting Aaron is pumped :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Just returned home from hunting this weekend. 250Savage and I hunted a few miles southeast of the sleepy, little hamlet of Ezzell Texas.

We managed to bust a nice mature 9pt. Saturday morning. Last night we called in a coyote. A very nice male for the area weighing in at a respectable 42lbs.
More details to follow later as I need to unpack, shower, and get some down-time.

Here's some pictures:

HuntnCarve

pitw

Right on Aaron :bowingsmilie:.  Nice buck for sure and that is a big coyote anywhere. :readthis:  Glad you spent the time together and had some luck as well. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Dave

Beautiful looking buck!  And a cherry on top!  :highclap:  :highclap:
We're hungry for the details.
Congrats to you both.

Todd Rahm

FinsnFur

Gaaaaahd! what a HAM that boy thinks he is :alscalls: :alscalls:
That is so cool Fo's :yoyo:

Nice symmetrical rack on that beaut.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

That is one awesome looking buck.  I would still be shanking if it walked out in front of me.

Jerry

KySongDog

Reeeaaalllll Nice!     :congrats:

Congrats to 250Savage and you, FOs!     :yoyo:

iahntr

Scott

coyote101

Way to go, congratulations to both of you.  :congrats: :congrats: What a great way for a father and son to spend time together.  :highclap: :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FOsteology

Thanks for the compliments and well wishes!

Yesterday morning was the season opener. Not as many gunshots heard as in years past due to the antler restrictions the state has implemented
(must have at least a 13" inside spread, or at least one unbranched antler). We setup along a game trail that leads from suspected bedding area to
food plots (oats and rye grass). Approx. 20 minutes after sunup I gave the grunt tube a toot (thanks HuntnCarve) and I swear not 5 seconds elapsed
before this buck stepped out from the brush 126 yards away from us. Kimber 84M Classic .308 Win slinging 150gr. Nosler Accubonds through both shoulders dumped him in his tracks.

Not 100% sure on the age, but based on body, face, and of course teeth we're figuring this buck to be 5 1/2, possibly a year older. He weighed 148lbs on the hoof.
Didn't do any measuring, but figure he's mid-130's

Morning was cold (by Texas standards!). Bulb registered 38 degrees.
Sat out that evening hoping to nail a doe (as 250Savage has burned up his buck tags for this season). Not much activity or movement. Saw one young buck.

After dinner, we decided to do some calling. Spent close to 20 minutes wailing on a couple hand calls, and our red light spotted eye shine coming in fast directly in front of our position.
Dropped the light and the coyote put on his emergency brakes, and looked right to left and was just making his move to dash off into the heavy brush to his left when a
150gr. Accubond from 88 yards away anchored him to the spot. The bullet entered a bit right of the coyotes chest and traversed the body exiting just in front of it's right hip.
Nice male for the area as he weighed in at 42lbs.

Went back out this morning before sunrise, hoping for a doe. Again, absolutely NO activity/movement. The entire area has numerous white oaks (post and live oaks) and this year
has seen a bumper crop on acorns. I'm assuming the deer are gorging themselves on acorns until they're forced to seek other food sources. We have rain in the forecast
next week..... so perhaps the acorns will spoil/sour and my oldest boy will have an opportunity to nail a mature buck Thanksgiving weekend.