• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

.300 Blackout from .223 brass

Started by centerfire_223, October 26, 2012, 06:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

I have acquired a AR in .300 Blackout and have been making some brass for it. Starting with .223 brass, question is would there be any interest in a thread on how this is done? I thought I would ask before taking the time to go through it all again with pictures. The same procedure works for a lot of different brass.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

I'd be interested in seeing it. Heck yah :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

Okie dokie I will start working on it today.   :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

CCP

QuoteI'd be interested in seeing it. Heck yah

I too would like to see it.

I thought I had did one several years ago here but can’t find it. :rolleye: It may have been another board? It is a sweet round and glad they standardized it so it is more available to the masses and people are now seeing what they have been missing all these years.

:yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Are the 300 Blackout and the 300 Whisper the same or are they different?   :confused:

CCP

QuoteAre the 300 Blackout and the 300 Whisper the same or are they different?   :confused:

Semp it’s a little complicated but not? :confused:

Yes, No sometimes. :shrug:

The rounds are called 300Whisper, 300Fireball, 300/221 Rem , .221 TIW,  30/221, 300/221,300 BLK or 300 WTF?

Being all but the 300BLK have no SAMMI Specs. JD Jones made the 300 whisper popular but to keep from paying royalties to him manufactures and gunsmiths created all these others with different names.AAC took the design (calling it there on.) and had it standardized and gave it to Remington for no royalties.

Here is a 300AAC Blackout diagram (Below)

Here is a 300-221 Diagram (Below)

There is no JD Whisper diagram available(to the public) but the differences in all these cartridges are usually the same as when you grab 10 .223 rifles off the self and check there chambers or in the case of the BLK out the throat on the chamber is supposedly a little longer like shooting .556 in a .223 chamber. However some 300 WTF? Have longer throats than others and some shorter. The 300AAC Blackout is just standardizing the dimensions so all is supposedly equal from gun to gun.

The cases I shoot are a tad longer than 300 BLK out cases and looking at the load data I shoot equal to and some loads .2 grains over the BLK out. They do not recommend shooting BLK out ammo in a Whisper or any 300 WTF? Because they do not know the dimensions of every gun made in these chambers and the liability of saying you can would be off the scale.

I have had no loading problems with neck thickness using BLK out cases. However from time to time some brass I have to turn the necks for my chamber. These are usually MK .556 brass but I always run all my brass through the neck turner just in-case.

The BLK out seems to be more for the lighter Supersonic loading because most all come in a 1-10 twist barrel versus the majority of the others come in a 1-8 twist barrel.

Easiest way to think of 300 Whisper Versus 300 BLK out is think of .223 versus .556

Here is a link with pictures each round in each others chambers that can help.
Quotehttp://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8892

My chamber is consistent with the 300/221 but I usually always tell people 300 Whisper not to intentionally LIE but most people have heard of the Whisper and I don't have to go through all the explaining. When I was selling my upper I said 300/221 because a true Whisper with SSK stamping would be worth more. I had a gun smith take a blank 30 cal barrel 1x8 twist and had a reamer built off of a cast of a Whisper chamber then a set of Blank 300/221 dies were cut with the same reamer. Now I was not in his shop when he did it and he very well could have grabbed a stock 300WTF? and sold it to me. :doh2:

My cases length
My case necks

BLK out case length
BLK out necks

My magazine length wont let me touch the lands unless I single load.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Thanks, CCP.   I can understand the .223 vs .556 analogy.   The rest of it sailed right over my head.   :laf: