• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Centrifugal Opening Knives

Started by JohnP, January 08, 2018, 04:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives
Customs Notice 18-01

Ottawa, January 5, 2018

1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT’s recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:
a.a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
b.it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

3. Please be advised that the CBSA will immediately prohibit the importation of all knives that open as per the CITT’s decision. For more detailed information concerning the decision, please consult the decision posted on the Tribunal’s website at: CITT Appeal No. AP-2017-012.

4. For further information regarding the interpretation of the CITT’s decision, please contact:

Commercial Programs Directorate
Other Government Department Programs Unit
Canada Border Services Agency
171 Slater Avenue, 8th Floor
Ottawa, ON K1P 5H7

Telephone: 613-954-7631

E-mail: Patricia.Claeyscbsa-asfc.gc.ca

The CBSA’s policy on the importation of prohibited weapons, is available in Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices. The Memoranda D19-13-2 will be revised to reflect the CITT decision on centrifugal opening knives.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

Wut the bloody ell!  Here in the Live Free or Die state you can carry a stiletto, switchblade, butterfly knife , Viking battle axe or Scottish Claymore if you choose! Oddly enough, no concealed carry permit required but brass knuckles and saps/blackjacks are illegal!

FinsnFur

Wow thats crazy.
I love the Kershaw Speed Safe Open Assist knives.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Good for the Canucks!  About time!  This will bring crime to a screeching halt up north for sure.   :doh2:

KySongDog

Quote from: nastygunz on January 08, 2018, 04:32:04 PM
Wut the bloody ell!  Here in the Live Free or Die state you can carry a stiletto, switchblade, butterfly knife , Viking battle axe or Scottish Claymore if you choose! Oddly enough, no concealed carry permit required but brass knuckles and saps/blackjacks are illegal!

Move to Kaintuckee, nasty.   Brass knucks, saps/blackjacks, knives, switchblades, butterfly knives, battle axes and, of course, guns including machine guns are all legal here.   I don't think claymore mines are included however.  But I might be wrong about that. 

nastygunz

Sign me up! :yoyo:  when I was a little kid my dad had a real good friend from Kentucky who used to come  and spend two weeks in Vermont with us every year. I remember they used to get drunker than hell  on them mason jars he used to bring with him  and then go out at night and Jack deer and then we would have a big  venison barbecue the next day ha ha.  :innocentwhistle: :yoyo:

JohnP

Likewise with what Johnny said, AZ always ranked number uno in gun laws by Gun & Ammo Mag -In Arizona, there are few restrictions on gun ownership and sales. You don’t need a permit to purchase a handgun or rifle. The state doesn’t require ownership registration. And you can carry a handgun, either concealed or openly, without a permit. Those and other factors earned it the top spot on Guns & Ammo’s list of gun-friendly states. KY came in 5th.  NH not even mentioned, maybe tied with CA :laf:

Okanagan

The Canadian restriction on how a knife can be opened is well over the line into silliness.  I've waded through a few explanations and apparently nobody knows exactly how to define which knives are legal and which aren't.  Some explanations of the law make it seem that any lock blade folder is illegal, especially if it has a thumb knob so it can be opened with one hand.

One factor that is a mixed blessing is how Canadians deal with bad laws.  Americans would rise up in open opposition.  Canadians act like time will sort out the stupid stuff and meanwhile, citizens, police and authorities generally manage to slide past low profile or common sense infractions and don't enforce harshly.  i.e. My reading between lines of what was said and not said makes me think that the problem protected sea lion that threatened me and others summer before last was handled quietly by the local fishing guide, who was no doubt thanked obliquely by the local warden who likely found that the problem critter had conveniently departed by the time the cop arrived.

Re Arizona gun laws and culture:  a sweet and very bright Canadian girl I know got a job at a hospital in Arizona.  Her folks were US but she was born and grew up in Canada.  During her job interview, one of the doctors asked her if she carried.  She didn't have a clue what he was asking so he told her that many of her patients and many of the doctors and nurses carried concealed handguns.  She was shocked, her Dad told me.

Her first patient was a white haired distinguished looking pillar of the community.  She asked him to disrobe and he calmly laid his pistol and holster on the pile of his clothes. 

She asked one of the doctors to teach her to shoot and last I knew she carried and was a good shot. She is bright, pretty and tougher than nails and no thug better mess with her.

nastygunz

Their 2015 listing lists NH at number 10 and The Motherland, VT, as number 2 in states with best gun laws, Ill take a free weeks vacation in AZ to make up for the California comparison😇😇😇😇👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2015/

The 2017 listing has NH at #15 and VT at #20, their list is about as crooked as a Hillary poll...😇😇😇

http://www.gunsandammo.com/second-amendment/best-states-for-gun-owners-2017/

California is #46 and Kentucky is #14.

KySongDog

That list is only about guns so if you throw in other weapons such as blackjacks/saps, nunchucks, etc.,  Kentucky fairs pretty well.

In fact, I think nunchucks (nunchaku) are illegal in AZ.  You are good to go in KY.

nastygunz

The last time I played with numb chucks I realize why they call them NUMB chucks,  it is numb at first and then hurts like hell  :innocentwhistle: :yoyo:

JohnP

In fact, I think nunchucks (nunchaku) are illegal in AZ.

Correct.

coyote101

This is the list of what are considered "Deadly Weapons" by law in Kentucky. A license to carry a concealed deadly weapon (CCDW) in Kentucky allows the licensee to carry concealed not only handguns, but any of the listed items. There are of course restrictions:

As used in the Kentucky Penal Code, (See KRS 500.080.) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:
(a) A weapon of mass destruction;
(b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other
serious physical injury, may be discharged;
(c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
(d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
(e) Blackjack or slapjack;
(f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
(g) Shuriken or death star; or
(h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

So a CCDW lets you carry a weapon of mass destruction? Speaking of which, just a few months ago NH legalized firecrackers again, used to be banned ! :yoyo: :yoyo:

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on January 12, 2018, 12:40:32 AM
So a CCDW lets you carry a weapon of mass destruction?

It would, but there are of course other restrictions that apply.  :readthis:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Well that kills the deal for me right there  :innocentwhistle:

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on January 12, 2018, 05:49:10 PM
Well that kills the deal for me right there  :innocentwhistle:

Don't make any hasty decisions, you can still carry your throwing stars.  :laf:

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

Not kidding I was seriously just thinking about ordering some of those to mess around with ha ha

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I think nasty is referring to those cabbage bombs he threatened Jim with.  :puke: :puke:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11