• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Shot a Fox

Started by browning204, October 03, 2006, 08:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

So I have been feeling a little under the weather lately with a cold. Slept in to about noon today and had nothing to do for the rest of the day. I decided to try my hand at some fox hunting. Well I grabbed the .17 HMR and headed for a small wood lot with a pond and a swamp that is behind my parents house.  Snuck into the woods to where I knew a deer stand was that over looked a thick swampy area. I put the W.T. caller down, sprayed some fox pee at the base of the tree and climbed up. I started to play the Young fox whines sound and in less than three minutes here comes a fox!!!!  I wasn't even ready, it walked right under me and right up to the E-caller. As I was about to take aim, it walked off using the thick brush as cover. It went back into the swamp and barked while moving. It circles me about 7-10 times before I shot it. It would come out to my right, get behing me and go back in to my left always using the same path. Finally as I could predict its travel path I decided on where I was gonna shoot it. SO, on its next circle around I waited until it got in a clear spot and I pulled the trigger, CLICK......  Nothing the round never went off. That happens sometimes with my .17.  CRAP!!!!  I was thinking to myself. I cycled another round as quiet as I could and waited until it came around again. Next try, here it comes BANG. Got it!!!!!!  knocked it right off its feet. It went about 10 feet before it layed down and died. I am pretty proud of myself because I had to shoot it left handed and behind me.

It is a female and she weighed in at 14 pounds.

It was wicked fun, not bad for my first time!!!

FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

FinsnFur

Pretty well placed shot for shooting out of a treestand, left handed, behind you.
They sure got nice fur  :eyebrow:...thanks for the story.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nailbender

Way to go! :congrats:  We have a long wait for fox up here yet but the crops are starting to come out. Hopefully the harvest will be done by halloween and we'll get a little snow to get the farmers out of the fields.  Can't wait!

keekee

Thats cool, Congrads.

I haft to wait till Nov for Fox season. Not many left around here any more.

Brent

browning204

I was suprised at the shot placement myself when I got to her!   Honestly, I am suprised I was able to keep her fooled for as long as I did waiting on a shot, nevermind shooting left handed and behind me.

I admit, Maybe luck had a little to do with it!!   :innocentwhistle:

Brad H

Nice job b204. I don't think we've ever had greys here and the reds are getting few between.

I missed a coyote last year that I had to hold my gun sideways to shoot because of the awkward position. I had the sound shut off and read that the coyote would stop. Instead he walked a little too far....right to the shut off caller, and right in front of the speaker.

In hindsight I think a better action would have been to crank the male challenge howl on max right then and there and watched the flying scat and urine firework show. :eyebrownod:

Brad

CCP

You done good 204 nice pics and story. Keep them a comin "Nice shot to boot"
:highclap: :congrats: :highclap: :congrats: :highclap: :congrats:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

browning204

Thanks, I will be going out again a a little while. I will hunt another area that is close to the area that I shot this one. Hope all goes well !

Ya that was a pretty lucky shot!! Now I just have to get the rifle to fire EVERY TIME. I have taken many a rifle apart but just cannot figure if the bolt comes out of this rifle. The owners manual is pretty slim on info.

THO Game Calls

Pretty much all Marlin Rimfire Bolt Guns are the same. 

Open the bolt, slide it back while pulling the trigger and the bolt will slide right out.

The key is to pull the trigger.

I don't have to mention to make sure the gun is unloaded do I?  Nah  :)

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

slagmaker

If you need to take the BOLT itself apart I may be able to find an online manual for that.
Let me know and I will see what I can dig up for you when I get back home.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

browning204

Al, I think I tried that but I will do it again to see what happens. But I accidently left the Rifle at my Parents house today because I planned on Hunting that area but a got my 4-wheeler stuck and it took a while to get out. So I ran out of daylight :argh:

Slagmaker: I will let you know, that would be some big help!!

slagmaker

OH BY the way, if you tried pulling the trigger to take the bolt out and that didnt work. One thing, make sure the safety is off when you pull the trigger. Otherwise teh trigger wont move and clear the catch on the bolt

browning204

browning204

Slagmaker: Ok I got the bolt out, cleaned it really good but now I have another problem  :argh:

When I reinstall the bolt, everytime I cycle the bolt and it is closed the plunger goes down as if it was fired, it will not stay in the cocked position.

The bolt can only go in one way and it does not have a magazine safety deal of any type. I about ready to whip the rifle into the woods and go get a new one!!!!

I knew I should have bought that savage!!!!

THO Game Calls

you know, you live 5 minutes from me.  Bring the thing over and we can look at it.  I have the same rifle in 22 mag. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

browning204

ok I might have to do that. I really getting pissed at this stupid thing!!!!  Man I shoulda bought that savage we saw!!!!

slagmaker

It will uncock if youare holding the trigger when you lock teh bolt home. thats about hte only thing I can think of. If your close to Al he might be able to help you out.

browning204

yes, it will uncock if I hold the trigger. I have to hold it as I start to put the bolt back in and then it can be let go, the rifle stays cocked all the way closed until I push the bolt handle down to lock it in place.  :confused:

Weird!  :madd:

slagmaker

Is your trigger going all the way forward. If it isnt that is really the only way it could be uncocking when you lock the bolt down. Unless I am missing something. :confused:

Todd Rahm