• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Round I: evening patrol for black bear, big one got away

Started by Okanagan, April 28, 2009, 11:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Late Sunday afternoon I went with three other men and three little boys for an impromptu bear patrol after a backyard barbecue.  Two men had bows and two of us were along for the ride, all in a big SUV. 

In early dusk bombing back down the logging road toward the highway the long time hunter and I sitting in the back seat both spotted a HOG of a black bear feeding in tall dead grass and stumps 35 yards off the road.  Turned around 300 yards farther and came back.  On this pass the bear stood up to watch us drive by and he was magnum:  broad head with smallish looking ears down on the sides, no neck at all, just wide angle slope from ears to wide shoulders and wider body.

The more experienced bow hunter has guided for bears and other game, and when he says a bear is BIG you can bank it.  He had been casual all evening, horsing around with the boys, but suddenly he was all business, sliding out silently when our rig stopped 100 yards past the bear and out of sight.  He whispered to the boys to not talk when the door opened, silently eased the door shut and waited just long enough to the novice to get organized and go with him.

No joy.  The bear loped casually into nearby creek bottom timber, then walked around making plenty of noise for the bow hunters to hear him.  He wasn't spooked much but didn't give them a shot.  In the darkening woods they backed out with intent to return.  The older bow hunter could return Monday evening but the young guy had to work.  Haven't heard anything so I don't think my friend got the bear last night.  It would have been a slam dunk with a rifle. 

Herd of elk in the road 300 yards past the bear.  It was a good evening.