• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Heavy Hauling w/Snowmachine

Started by Tikaani, February 09, 2011, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

This probably won't intrest to many folks and it is mostly aimed at Barry (pitw) who gives me crap (good natured of course) about running Canadian machines.  This is a friend of mine who has a homestead up north, the only way in is fly, snowmachine or boat w/ATV in the summer.  He brought up some livestock and until he had land cleared and hauled in haying equipment this was how he got hay in.  On this haul he uses the same machine as mine, a 550cc fan cooled 2 stroke Ski-doo Superwide (24" track).  Each bale ways 1000 pounds, 2 on one sled 3 on the other, he keeps them separated like this if he runs in to trouble he unhooks goes ahead and comes back and gets the second load then re hooks all 5000 lbs.  Barry I never bash any brand, we all have our favorites, but tell your friend his boys don't make a sled that comes even close to these.  :nono:

John

My old Superwide

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

securpro

I don't know much about those sled things but I do know a good chainsaw when I see one ! :biggrin: 
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

iahntr

Pretty cool. That's some pullin there !
Scott

pitw

John them sleds should pull cause they got every Canadian tax payer behind them :whew:.  I'll be showing this to Ken for a fact cause then I'll get a free ride up there when he comes to see it happen :eyebrow:
  I gotta ask what them little guys are wrapped in  :shrug: and why :confused:.  Almost looks like they are trying to stop the spread of noxious weeds along the trail :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

WldWldWest

Thats a Cool pic right there! Snow Train.......I'm diggin it! :yoyo:

How far of a run does he have to make to get the hay?
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Tikaani

WWW, about thirty miles, a load like that takes six to seven hours.
Barry, Snowmachines subsidized by tax dollars, sounds like some auto companies I know of, LOL.  He is off shift but will find out about why they are wrapped, more than likely to hold together once he jumps the river and he goes down the trail.

John

WldWldWest

They wrap em alot down south here like that and I assumed it was to keep em dry and out of the weather But in that case it would have to make them haul a little better, I think your chances of making it home with a full roll would have to be in your favor! :shrug:
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Hawks Feather

Is he raising livestock for his family or does he haul them out the same way the hay goes in?  Around here there are more and more that are wrapping their hay in the plastic wrap.  Like has been said, it keeps the rain and snow off of them and they don't need to store them inside a barn.  Just leave them and pick them up when needed.

Jerry

pitw

Around here when you see bales wrapped like that, they are making baleage[silage].  Adds a lot of cost to a bale to wrap them like that and then there is the problem of garbage when they remove the wrapping. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

Tikaani

I'll ask him when he comes back on shift, the weatherizing may well be why because at the time these were taken he may have not have had his barn built.
Jerry he raises buffalo, hauled them out on the same snowmachines.  He was raising them to hunt, but the cost I think is high and his wife from what I have heard has become somewhat attached.  I think now they are mostly for them.
Kind of glad this interested some people, I'll post more pictures when I get them from up north.
John

Hawks Feather

I have never spent any time around Buffalo, but I was told they sort of had a mind of their own.  Cattleman in MT said that he had a neighbor that had some and one day they decided to migrate - and they did. 

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Tikaani on February 09, 2011, 07:01:02 PM
This is a friend of mine who has a homestead up north, the only way in is fly, snowmachine or boat w/ATV in the summer. 

That reminds me of that show on Discovery channel, Fly Wild Alaska based out of Unalakleet. Man I love watching that.
We got people all over here bagging their hay also. The sileage they put in tubes.
So how do they get those bales on the sleds? At a thousand pounds each they must be pretty dry but still.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Man, I have seen some crazy loads myself.  :nono:

I have a small Skandic but was considering a bigger one, so Wyatt could have the one I currently have.