• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Kill them all?

Started by 1snafu, October 29, 2022, 05:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1snafu

When I was a young hunter. That was my mindset. But a few decades later. The killing part did not appeal to me much. As much as just observing them. So each following hunt. When I seen a coyote out & about. I just watched them. Most of them were 1/4-1/2 mile out off of the gravel road. Out on the open rolling hills.

I observed many singles, many pairs & some what I call "Family groups". Or otherwise nomadic coyotes on the move during breeding season. Observing their behaviors as pair's vs groups was most interesting. What they all had in common. Was how they utilized the wind. Such as, once they are bedded down. It become obvious quickly. No coyote likes wind in their face. They will not travel into any wind no matter how slight for very far. Without eventually cutting into that wind. As they meander & angle that wind.

Most ALL coyotes when bedded down will be elevated to some extent. As I believe they prefer a view to their down-wind & crosswind areas. 99% of the time when bedded down. They will be facing a down-wind or angled cross wind angle. Most coyotes when bedded down. Whether in ground cover or not. Will have the prevailing wind at their back side.

Their scenting & hearing ability is top shelf in my opinion. Versus most animals that I know of. Anyone can kill an animal. Knowing some of that animal's behaviors IMO. Is far more rewarding & interesting. A dead coyote never taught me much. But I have learned from a live one. Which to me is more rewarding as I age.