• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Summer fruit gathering time along with salmon and seafood

Started by Okanagan, July 24, 2023, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Summer fruit gathering time

Been picking the little wild native "Trailing" blackberries, some chefs call them the world's best berry flavor.  Bumper crop in some small patches.  I have put 23 pre-measured pie size packages in the freezer plus we have eaten two pies and a bunch fresh.  My wife loves them on raisin bran.  I lucked into a patch of wild strawberries last week, one of my favorite tastes in the world.

In our garden strawberries are fading out, bumper crop of blueberries are coming on with about 10% already ripe, raspberries at peak, Bing and Rainier cherries at peak, first tomatoes ripe.  Edible pod peas are poor this year with the early ones over, but a later planted batch looks good.  A friend with a couple of tart small pie cherry trees has given me two buckets of them.  They make super pies and I've made three.

Salmon, crab and gazillions of shrimp this year have me hopping to keep up with processing and freezing.  Tough duty, especially the catching salmon part!

remrogers

Hawks Feather

You had to say Bing and Rainier Cherries. I LOVE them. The others sound good too, but Cherries would hit the spot for me.

FinsnFur

Jerry and I are coming up to do some sampling. :innocentwhistle:
He needs to check out the cherries, and I really need to make sure that Salmon is safe for consumption. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

We got four more salmon last evening, 9-13 lbs. I took a few pics and am not sure what happened but there are no new pics on my phone this morning. In consolation sorrow I loped off about a $20 chunk of salmon fillet and fried it on the stovetop for lunch.  I'm sure the technical terms would be sauteed in butter with salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of garlic and onion flakes.  Wife is eating about $40-50 worth of fresh unfrozen Dungeness crab for lunch.  I cross-tasted my lunch and hers and decided that seafood cocktail sauce is good on salmon. 

My son and cousins got four salmon night before last on a good late afternoon/evening tide, bigger fish from 14-20 lbs.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Jim, if you want to ride along I am headed to Anacortes WA in September.

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 25, 2023, 08:47:32 PMJerry and I are coming up to do some sampling. :innocentwhistle:
He needs to check out the cherries, and I really need to make sure that Salmon is safe for consumption. :eyebrownod:

The good thing about the internet is that we don't have to be there in person.  You can inspect them here online, much easier and more efficient.  You can be grateful that I posted inspection info, so you don't have to actually taste anything!

This chunk of salmon got a little dark when the cedar planks caught on fire but it turned out superb, barely done inside and crispy on the outside.

Hawks Feather

Well Jim and I are both happy now. I may have to have some of his salmon as well as the berries.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 26, 2023, 07:34:45 PMJim, if you want to ride along I am headed to Anacortes WA in September.

I'm in.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com