• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL Hunt Safety ?

Started by promapper, January 19, 2010, 01:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

promapper

This sounds like a lot of fun and I am seriously considering it.  All work and no play ...

I know the LBL is a really big place but with 30 or so hunters is there anything in place to track or determine who is hunting where?  Is it divided into Zones and a lottery held?  First come first serve?

In addition to the safety issue, I know all too well about getting your stand ruined by another hunter that had no idea you were there.  Also am aware that the group would have no input from hunters that are not a part of this hunt.

Anyone's input to how this was run in the past feel free to answer.

Thanks

KySongDog

LBL is 170,000 acres big.   There shouldn't be any problems with people hunting on top of one another.   If you see a truck parked at a spot, just move on and find another spot.  

There is no lottery for hunting areas.  

By the way, welcome to FnF. 

Frogman

I was there two years ago and never saw another hunter in the woods.  Only saw one drive by on one of the gravel roads!!  It is really big.  Still you bring up a good point.  We all need to be especially careful and be sure of our target and what lies beyond it.  I have to admit that I did have an accidental discharge of my AR at the Redbird hunt last year.  It was a very humbling experience.  Fortunately no injury resulted!!  Seems like I also remember a story from the last LBL about someone nearly shooting a dog that was being walked on a leash?  So,

Let's all be careful out there!!!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

weedwalker

Frogman, that was me with the dog incident. Here's what happened..............

http://forum.finsandfur.net/index.php?topic=4770.0

Jimmie in Ky

Never needed to draw for areas in the past but may wind up doing it in the fiuture, we will have to see how this one goes this year. This is the first time we have had this many hunters and most from Ky itself.

I DO WANT TO STRESS THAT THERE ARE SMALL GAME HUNTERS OUT THERE . They will be working with dogs that are likely to come to call, DO NOT SHOOT THE DANG DOGS. If the weather holds like it has been there will be folks on horse back all over the Wranglers area and possibly in adjacent zones . Some of them will have dogs along. This happened one year by a hunter not with our group, and we do not want it happening agian if we can help it.

Also for your own safetey, watch for the road hunters. They don't care where the bullet goes as long as it goes !! Turn the pricks in if you can please.

Cell phones do not work in all areas in there. Hunting with a partner in case of ( God forbid) a broken leg or other injury is a good idea. A partner can get to the top of a hill and get help in there if you are unable to walk. Some type of emergency gear would not hurt a bit just in case.  At least some type of fire starter and small flashlight.

Just as any other trip in the field think of your safetey and that of others. Jimmie

coyotehunter_1

promapper,
If you decide to come to LBL I do believe you will find a good time and meet a danged good bunch of folks. You brought up a good subject, from our first LBL get together safety has always been a major concern. It's a big area with a bunch of rough terrain.  Not a real good place to get lost or hurt, and it's easy to do.

One point I would like to rehash on....
I think it was Jimmie in Ky that said something about the danger of old home places and hand dug wells. Bop and I found one of these wells a couple of years ago. It was open on top but luckily it was fairly easy to spot because it had a concrete pad poured around it and a block wall that rose about 4 feet above ground. These old wells can be hard to spot if at ground level, most are pretty wide and deep, and they may or may not be marked. Covered with old boards and leaves they are even harder to see and almost certain death traps if you happen to fall into one. You may never be found.... that would ruin a good day for all of us.  :sad:  

Hunt with a partner if at all possible. We want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable get together...except the coyotes. :wink:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

promapper

thanks for all the response.  A partner would definitely be a good thing to have.

The local Lease I belong to only has 1000 acres with 10 members with about 6-7 active deer hunters.  We have an aerial photo of the lease and are required to place a magnetic pin with our name on it where we are going to hunt.  And typically one of us tries not to leave until the last one is in.  This serves two purposes.  If something did happen and you did not show up at home at least the other members would know where to start to look.  We've all read the tree stand horror stories.  Second and less important is that it prevents interference from each other during the hunt.

I should know by next Monday if I can make it but if not I am sure you all will have a great time.

By the way, if the organizer of this thing will give me an email or message of some sort I'll be glad to donate a large (3' x 6') photo/map of the LBL.  At least you can use it for reference while at the campsite.

Will let you know monday by posting on the attendance thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jimmie in Ky

One thing we do have to require now is that everyone download a road and zone map. They no longer have these published for free . A map of some type is nescescary to navigate and understand  where the animals will be located by our scouting reports. We do everything we can to help all hunters to the area have a safe and sucsesful hunting experience with us. Jimmie

KySongDog

Small colored maps are available for $3.00 at Golden Pond Visitor Center.

HaMeR

I have a big 21" x 33" map that goes from East of Hopkinsville to West of Mayfield Ky. I don't recall what I paid for it if anything. I got it in December '08.

It came from;

Ky Dept of Fish & Wildlfie Resources
1 Sportsmans Lane
Frankfort, Ky  40601
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11