• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Need Some Help

Started by DirtyDog, November 12, 2007, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

Guys,

I was just checking my state laws, and it states that I need Rubber Jawed traps. Does anyone have a couple spares? I just need a few to get me started as I am learning this whole thing this year.

Thanks
DD

OKTrap

Padded jaw traps are only necessary when trapping in the open or on top of the ground in TN. If you are water trapping, you do not need them.

What kind of trapping do you intent to do? Or what are your target critters?

DirtyDog

I am looking at targeting coyotes, fox, and cats..........

So does that mean if I bury it, I do not need the padded jaws?

studabaka

:roflmao:

As long as you bury it deep enough that nothing can get caught in it  :biggrin:

If your going for cannine and feline then you'll need soft jaw..... you can buy them in small quantity and you'll need a bunch of other stuff if your starting from scratch.... the trap is the tip of the iceberg  :readthis:

Boiling pot
dye
wax
stakes/drags
stake swivels
extra soft catch inserts
tags
sifter
trowel
hammer/hand axe
set cloth
basket/bucket
rubber gloves
rubber boots
lure/bait/urine
trap covers
dispatching rod
skinning knife
fleashing beam
stretchers

some stuff could be optional depending on your plan/process
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

DirtyDog

Thanks Stu......I knew I could count on you......I need you to show me how that is done.  :laf:

psycho

that is OVERKILL

dont need all that crap.. seriously..

If you wanna go broke, then yes, get all that stuff.. 

The necessary items are traps, stakes, swivels, and lures..

incase you didnt notice Joe.. the "dispatcher rod" unles you know what that is and does, you may not be up to it.. I know I am not.. Since I am not into the fur selling business, I dispatch animals with lead.

FinsnFur

Prolly dont need tags either. Just dont get caught checking the traps in broad daylight  :iroll:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

:roflmao:

Sounds more like a grinner strategy, but I'll be the first to say that my way ain't the only way and certainly not the best...... but it works...... and I ain't tough enough to drive in stakes without a hammer, though I guess you could use a rock  :shrug: and I generally like to release domestics, but again, that's just me.  :wo: and I never caught a yote in a trap I hadn't boiled and waxed, but then I never tried.... guess it's possible  :confused: And I find it handy to have something to carry my stuff to the set with, but then I use stuff  :eyebrownod:

If ya buy into the fact that a Yote's nose will bust ya when ya call, seems silly to think it won't when ya trap  :nono:

anyway, to each his own. If ya harvest the fur then ya got something to pay for the supplies.....  :wo: and if ya don't properly prepare and execute then you'll save some bucks upfront but ya probably won't catch much. IMO
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Mallardsr

Stu that is  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Hawks Feather

Heck Stu, when I was a kid I used to trap muskrats in leg hold traps and didn't even use a drowning line.  But they always chewed off a leg before I could get them.  I also caught one coon  coming out of a drainage tile.  After a week of him stepping in the trap and pulling it off, I set three or four traps.   Guess what.  He set them all off and pulled himself out again.  I finally got him by riding the bike out every hour till he was in the traps - and about missed him that time.  Since then I have learned that it is better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.    :biggrin:

Jerry

keekee

I will haft to take a pic of the back of my truck. It looks like I am a contractor.....lol

But I have totaled all this up over the years. I would hate to think what it would cost to haft to start from scratch now days. :sad:

And with gas prices, you just got to love to trap to be out there now! :biggrin:

I had to buy a new pair of waders this year, I about fell out of my computer chair when I see the prices on them! But, I guess you got to have them or get wet!

Dog,

If I can help you out in any way just let me know. Im running the line every day now so if you want to see some pic's of something just let me know and I will snap a few for ya. Also if you need anything just ask or yell. Will help in any way I can.

Brent

DirtyDog

Well......I am about to buy my first traps. They are a decent deal. They are some Victor #3 soft jaws with the 4 coils and baseplates. Now I need everything else.  :biggrin: I am just downrite broke. I may have enough stuff to trap by Next season...LOL

FinsnFur

Why couldnt buy a few things over time as you get ahead? You dont have to spend 6 grand on trapping supplies for your first trip out.
Make some sacrifices and run a line making due with what you have and buy a few things at a time that you need as you go.
Hell, you might not like it, and buying everything you need right up front for the first time out would be like throwing your wallet in the river if you decided you didnt like trapping
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

It takes a long time to get everything you need, well every thing you want....lol

Traps are expensive, and if you cant do your own mods then it cost that much more. If you want the mod traps.

That's the way I would do it, I would buy a little at a time until I got what I wanted and then just keep adding to it. I bought allot of new traps this year. Some of the old ones were just worn out and had the lick and then some were just to good of a deal to pass up.

I been fortunate that I had a welder and machine shop so I saved my self allot of money over the years.

And I would make sure that I liked it and wanted to hang with it before I dumped a bunch of cash. Best thing to do would be find someone close by that would take you out with them or help you out some.

Edit....What do ya need Dog? Send me a PM.

Brent

DirtyDog

Well, I just ordered my first 3 traps a week ago. I should be getting them soon. They are gonna have to sit a while cuz they still need stakes and chains. I am on my way guys. Oh yeah, and I have some PRIME location to trap too.  :biggrin:

DirtyDog

Got the traps in the mail, along with a couple of snares that the fella threw in there. I am hoping that I can find some chain and stakes somewhere and then i will be set. I have a great spot lined up. I also am going to be getting some connibears for some creek trapping from a freind who is not using them. I am so ready to set something that it is killing me.  :sick2: