• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First Day of Turkey Season

Started by alphadog, March 15, 2010, 03:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alphadog

Its the first day of Turkey season in the Low Country of SC and its 4 am and heading out the door.  If I have any luck at all will post when I get back in around noon.  The gobblers are all hened up pretty good so it'll be ruff.   :confused:

Bills Custom Calls

Hened up already

Good luck and post pics and story either way
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

GunDog

Good luck to you alphadog ... post us up a big old bird when ya come in! Thiniking of the task ahead of ya thou  ...  I bet them are some tough old gobblers to get - sounds like their sleeping with their ladies .... ain't nothing wrong with that I reckon ... long as their married and all  ...  :wink:

KySongDog

Early in the season, toms hen up in the morning right off the roost and that is normal.   If they don't respond early, wait till late in the morning toward noonish and give it a try.  They may be looking for more action by then.  The main thing is..... don't give up. 

Also, if you've got a good two year old crop, they may respond at any time since they are lower on the pecking order.

alphadog

Head one at daylight and never did get close before he flew down and shut up.  After walking miles it seemed like we heard one at 11 AM and headed his way.  He was out in a field with another big gobbler and about 10-15 hens.  We walked parallel to the field about 100 deep in the woods and got on the other side of them and set up.  On the first call boom---both gobbled.  I quite calling and got ready.  The hens finally came out of the field and were all over us but the two gobblers stayed back about 75 yds.  They put a good show on and finally the hens got tired of looking for the lonesome hen and walked back to them and off they went.  Gave it a few minutes and tried to crank them back up but they were gone.  Another day in the morning and hopefully I'll catch an old gobbler by himself.  Its great to be in the spring woods and hear Gods creation wake once again. 

ThomasFields60

Wow sounds like a decent morning....you might want to dry a jake gobble next time to see if the Toms will respond to a little competition. It works alot for me in the early season.
If its Black, gray, red, or brown............ it's down! I don't discriminate.

clynn

Good luck I can't wait till April 17

Raven42

Alpha,
Good luck this year. Stay after um and you will get one. It sounds as if you are already off to a good start. I cant wait till the 8th and 9th to hunt LBL. I have heard a few and seen a few. Headed back in the morning to make a few more checks. Once again good luck.

Raven
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. (Fred Bear)