• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Zip Line at Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Started by KySongDog, June 23, 2010, 02:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

On June 15, 2010 when the ship anchored at Icy Strait Point (a population of about 800)  I was wondering what there would be to do.   I soon found out that the locals had built the "Worlds Longest and Fastest Zip Line" to snag some bucks from the cruise line tourists. (me  :biggrin: )

Being the adrenaline junkie that I am, I had to try it.  I couldn't talk my wife in to it (too scary she said)  so I handed over the loot to the local ticket seller and got on the bus for the 45 minute 6 mile ride to the top of the mountain.  Five riders go on five lines at the same time.

Here are the stats:

5,330 feet long

1,320 feet drop in elevation

60 mph top speed  ( my arse!  I KNOW I hit 70 or 80 cause I passed everyone in my 5 man group)  

This was a REAL rush!!    :yoyo: 

And you ride about 300 feet over some very big Alaska trees.

[smg id=410 type=av]

Silencer

what a rush, the kids and I would love that  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

CHEESE N RICE!!! Man if that thing malfunctioned and dumped ya, you wouldnt feel a thing. :doh2:

It looked like a couple people got hung up out over top the tree's. Can that happen?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cb223

That looks like an absolute riot :yoyo: :yoyo: I'm jealous  :congrats: :congrats:
CHAD

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 23, 2010, 04:19:28 PM
CHEESE N RICE!!! Man if that thing malfunctioned and dumped ya, you wouldnt feel a thing. :doh2:

It looked like a couple people got hung up out over top the tree's. Can that happen?

Naw, they weren't hung up.  They were moving about 60 mph but I was over taking and passing them.  I think I had more mass than they did so gravity was pulling me a wee bit harder.   :eyebrownod:

If the cable broke you would have a second or two to kiss your butt good bye before you hit the trees at 70 mph.    :shock2:

iahntr

Right on Semp !  :yoyo: Looks like a blast !
Scott

Hawks Feather

Man Semp that was quite a ride.  At least you weren't yelling like that guy that we heard in the video.    :biggrin:

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 23, 2010, 09:11:57 PM
Man Semp that was quite a ride.  At least you weren't yelling like that guy that we heard in the video.    :biggrin:

Jerry

:innocentwhistle:   

pitw

Im tired and I'm dirty and I opened that video for Bob and I, while giving the wife the play by play of this story :readthis:.   

Semp that was absolutely wonderful footage that we enjoyed thoroughly  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:.  I explained the gravity part to the family :wink:.  There are so many questions but I gotta know was that thing you were filming before you left your parachute?
     Good camera and camera work as well my good man :biggrin:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

That was you filming that?
I thought you found a clip on a site demonstrating the zip line you visited.

Well hell, that makes it even better :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: pitw on June 23, 2010, 11:28:10 PM
    There are so many questions but I gotta know was that thing you were filming before you left your parachute?

Yeah, I was number 4.  I was checking out that harness pretty close to see if my big butt was going to stay in it on the way down.   :laf:

They had six positions numbered 1 through 6 but only had cables set up on positions 2 though 6.  Position number 1 had no cable.  So I got to thinking "Was that on purpose or did the cable break and some poor slob got an Alaskan tree rammed up his rear?"  That is when I started checking out that red number 4 harness.   :eyebrownod:

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 24, 2010, 05:25:12 AM
That was you filming that?

I got a new video camera for the trip. It is a Panasonic SDR-S26 with 70X optical zoom.   I have never filmed before so most of the six hours of footage that I took is rough.  (Definitely not up to Richard's standards   :nono: )  I am going to be putting up various film clips over the next few days - weeks as I learn how to edit it and condense it.    

HaMeR

:yoyo: :yoyo: You got er done in 1min 13seconds Semp!! Damn you was flying down there!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  That was cool!!  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Just wondering Semp :wo:  What do new underwear cost in Alaska :shrug:.  I watched that video more times than any other I've seen and y conclusion is that you are certifiable  :biggrin:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Tappen

ahahah, oh jeebus! "IM winnin! WOOOOO! im winnin!!!" haha ya sound like a little kid, it made me laugh man, thanks for sharing.

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!