• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Your input needed...

Started by Coulter, April 02, 2008, 11:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

This may seem like an odd topic...but I have decided that I am going to go ahead and look into the feasibility of writing a book. You know I have all of this extra time on my hands that I need to do something with, so why not write a book? Besides, I earned mostly A's and a B or two in my college writing courses. I might as well utilize my education for something since the job market is bleak around here. This is not an endeavor I plan to become rich or famous from. My thoughts won't do anybody any good staying in my head though. I may as well utilize what I was taught to do...otherwise it was a waste of my time learning to do it.

I have some ideas of what I want to include in the book, but I thought it would be beneficial to see what some others thoughts included. I do not intend to make this a "how to" book on anything. I may include some tips and pointers that I have learned over the years, but I will not create a dedicated "this is how it should be done" type book. There are plenty of authors out there that know much more than I do that have taken care of that aspect of writing already. So...

What type of articles do you prefer– humorous, adventurous, factual biological data, a mix of everything? Should the book concentrate on one facet of the outdoors...ie. Should it be strictly predator hunting and do another book down the road on say waterfowling? Or would you rather see dedicated chapters...one on predator hunting, one on turkey hunting, one on waterfowling, etc. I like to be as diverse as I can, but not to the point that it detracts from what the reader wants out of a book. While I was in college my writing professors stressed that we should consider who the reader is and gear the article, or in this case – book, to what they want to read, and write it at a level they can understand. I have a propensity to utilize a ponderous vocabulary while I engage in freelance writing. My professors seemed to like it, but I don't think it would suit a book on hunting-trapping-fishing very well. That would be like me reading one of my wife books on modern medicine.

Well, rather than making this post extremely long lets here what your thoughts are. I want to narrow the focus on this project and go from there. It will likely be a year or two – maybe three, before the book is actually finished. But I do want to follow through with this and I appreciate everybody's thoughts on the matter. I have to do some research on publishers, editors and other necessities as well. I just figured this would be a good place to start, so let's here what ya think. I will likely post this in some other forums sometime down the road as well. The more opinions I can muster up the better.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Steve

Silencer

A decent book IMO would be about growing up waterfowl hunting, your dogs,  and passing the tradition down to your children.  Have it a mix of everything from humorous to emotional.

You know I'm biased with birds and especially waterfowl  :wink:

Nelson

Go for it.  I would say a mix of everything.  Title- Outdoor Adventures.  When you get tired of writing about
one subject, you could work on another subject and then tie them all together in the end.  Good luck.

Nelson

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

bootmud

Coulter,

Writing a book, wow, that's big stuff.  Good for you. :highclap:

Personally I would be more interested in purchasing a book that was more about a certain topic, such as pred hunting only or water fowl huning only.  Not to say you couldn't refer to other out door activities but if the book is about 10 different topics it just might be to diversified  for the avg. Joe who only hunts preds and turkeys.

Just my thoughts but I wish you the best of luck.

Oh, and humor is always good IMO.

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

BigB

The only type of reading I like to do is if I am learning about something or learning on how to do something.  For me, all other types of books put me to sleep.  That's just my opinion.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

FinsnFur

Good idea.
I'd like to see a good book written on Engine building.
Something that explains the importance of air flow, and how the faster your engine takes in air and belches it out, the better it will perform. Hence the blower, or the 3" crossover pipes, or 6" K&N Air filter. From the hood scoop to the open headers...it's all air flow.

How something as mere as a 2" machined riser under the carburetor, with specially  engraved  CNC ports matching the intake manifold can boost your horse power by making more efficient air flow, and how it works.

How 510 thousands of an inch verses 388 thousands of an inch, in a valve lift of 1.47 can almost triple your horsepower at half throttle, and why.

Engine building is something I've always taken a lot of enjoyment in doing :yoyo: Let me know if you need any help  :laf: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Sounds like an outstanding idea to me Coulter. I have often pondered about writing a book myself, but I would need one heck of an editor to make it have any semblance of a cohesive thought....... :eyebrownod: I had thought about writing about the Appalachian Experience.
Folks from here don't realize sometimes how diverse their culture really is to outsiders. I was going to cover topics like chicken fighting, moonshine, growing pot, making a school bus into a home, ginseng hunting, making molasses, proper way to prepare groundhog for the supper table, mountain curs, etc.
Do you remember the old Foxfire books? They had several volumes and each contained around a half dozen topics. I always enjoyed reading those crazy things. Lots of information that was dying out with the old timers.

I would stick with one topic such as predator hunting and write most of it from firsthand knowledge. I think I would also add a few folks in your book. Since no one man can know it all, it always adds some food for thought when the author says, "Old so and so always said, 'It's better to kick em in the ribs then tickle 'em in the cheeks', or something like that.  :eyebrownod:
It just adds to the story, plus it tells the reader that you aren't the only one that has ever done it like that or whatever. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I say go for it dude. I use to love to read Louis L'Amour, Tom Clancy, military manuals, how to books on any kind of survival, para military,etc. and of course the Foxfire books. Don't read books now, since the World Wide Web is my book. I did buy a book the other day. It's called Squirrel Dog Basics by David A. Osborn. Lot's of good info. for anyone that likes to hunt squirrels with dogs.

Have fun and best of luck.  :yoyo: :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Coulter

Jim....what the :confused:Oh never mind. You've been reading to many Chilton books man.

I thought about doing a combined book first, but the more I think about it, the more I want to put in it. Then I started thinking what type of books do I prefer. Chances are when I buy a book it is about one topic - maybe two if they are similar in nature. Waterfowl guys generally don't give a hoot about predator hunting and turkey guys rarely give a crap about trapping. The books bought by most sportsman seem to be topic specific. I'm thinking that may be the route to go. Of course I would have to do more than one book then :doh2: I just don't want to leave anything out because it doesn't coincide with another subject. I'll have to look at that some more.

It will definitely have some humor in it. It won't be just a string of bad outdoor jokes, but I am thinking of some of the antics that happen while I am hunting with other people. Like the time I nearly dumped my truck off a mountain side in Roper Hollow. Well, it wasn't funny then, but it sure puts a smirk on our faces now. :biggrin: Yes, he is still allowed to hunt with me, but I catch hell from his wife to this day about that one. I don't get it, we were only 8 hours late for the Christmas party :shrug: Heck, at least we showed up :eyebrownod:

Bopeye...Believe it or not I do understand what you're saying.  :eyebrownod:I don't want to pretend to know it all in the book and it will most certainly have some quotes or tidbits from other people in it. It may even have some helpful tips from others that I just failed to include on my own. If I do use information from somebody else they will most certainly get the credit for it too. This is one reason I don't want to put together a strictly "how to" type book. I think the market is flooded with them already. I have more trapping books than you can shake a stick at. I have quite a few on predators and a ton on waterfowl too.. I do want to includes a section on some how to type stuff, but it won't be the basis for the book. I would rather write about my hunting adventures - or misadventures in some cases :iroll:, but I don't want to exclude important information that may help somebody just getting interested in one of the outdoor sports either. As far as your Appalachia book...don't hold back man! I've been through parts of Appalachia by myself and I gotta tell ya - if I would have heard banjo's that pedal would have certainly been hittin' the floor board. Some of those places just scared the hell out me :shck: On the other hand there are some areas that are absolutely beautiful.

Vic...I'm not sure where I could tie in the emotional part. Neither of my daughters hunt anymore and my son has six years before he gets to have a go at it. Although he did dispatch his first raccoon in a trap last year. He was quite emotional when he did that :iroll: It took me a half an hour to settle him down. That raccoon is hanging in his room now. I'll have to dig back in the memory banks to get any good emotional stuff.

Thanks for all of the help and insight guys - keep it coming

nastygunz

Sounds interesting, I think the tough part is picking what venue to write in. I am a freelance writer and have wrote on everything from fly fishing, gear, employment, psychology etc.  I usually gear my articles for where i plan on submitting them and what their reader base is. I am currently on the 2 year mark of applying for italian citizenship through my immigrant grandparents who came here from Agrigento, Sicily and I plan on writing a book about that experience, a combination how-to and personal reflection, and some day i would like to do a compilation of my outdoor writings into 1 book. A great source for everything from publishers to magazines, writing contests etc is http://www.writersmarket.com/, cost is $3.99 a month, 1 sale and your paid for a long time. you can also buy the book.
     Bopeye i would go for the appalachian experience, I wrote about my youth growing up in Vermont with no running water, electricity  or indoor plumbing(Native Son) and sold it to a magazine on that web site in CA i think, about old times. Good luck on your writing and I hope you keep everyone here posted!! :thumb2:

nastygunz

Bopeye, upon further reflection, some of the posts you have wrote on FnF are just plain funny as hell!...weave that sense of humor through an appalachia story and you might have some publishing gold there!

nastygunz

Coulter, as you can tell writing inspires me  :biggrin:, id like to add to your thread, make use of the net in your book pursuit. For a writer the net is a god send. Back in the pre-internet-day it was VERY hard to find places to peddle your work, and everything had to be typed, snail mailed and then wait...and wait...did i say wait?...actually got costly...90% of the time youd hear nothing..then every now and then success. The net lets you hit all kinds of info and venues, publishers, editors, submit samples, and get editorial guidlines, fast and free via email,although a few still require mailed paper submissions. There are even online publishers who print as you sell, for books which means you dont have to pay for a bulk printing, they print the book based upon sales, high tech and efficient. This thread makes me think back on my first published writing when I was about 10 which was a poem about indians which was published in Ranger Rick magazine! ha-ha

HaMeR

I can't add a thing to this but I sure do wish you the best of luck in this!!!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

Let us know when you have it for sale........ :eyebrownod: I always love a good book in the woods.
http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Coulter

Thanks for all of the input guys...and for the info on publishers, etc. Nastigunz - I do appreciate it. It will be a year or two before the book is completed. But I think I have a feasible format worked out. It looks like it will focus on Predators (trapping and hunting) as well as other furbearers. I have a basic format started, but I'm sure it will change numerous times before all is said and done. I will keep everybody posted on the progress.

If all goes well I want to do another book or two on waterfowl, turkey and maybe big game. We'll see where this one goes first. I don't want to get ahead of myself here. :wink:

Thanks,
Steve

Buckrun

I have also thought about writing a book. I thought I'd go about like I was writing a book about my history. Something my kids and future grandchildren would like to know about me. Stories about things I have done, hunting, fishing, trapping and camping. Also try to write in a way that others enjoy it also.

Now all I have to do is start doing stuff that people would like to know or learn about! :rolleye:

Steve

Coulter

What I have planned so far is a conglameration of stories from past and future hunts or trapping excusrions. Some how to type stuff and some factual data on some of the species that will be found in the book. I know not everybody likes to read about biological data, but I want to include it in there for those that do. Besides, I enjoy doing the research and it helps me to learn more about the animals that I pursue. That is another reason for me writing a book - so I can learn more.  :biggrin:

Steve