• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

using motion decoys

Started by Silencer, January 30, 2009, 06:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Want some opinions on where to set the e-caller while using motion dekes.  Do you place it near the deke ? 
Whats your normal set-up using them ? 

Thanks

possumal

I want the ecaller hidden as close to the decoy as I can get it.  If you can hang the ecaller just inside a thick sinkhole, and have the sound pointing upward, and the motion decoy out on the edge a few feet away, that is a dandy setup. If you can control the motion decoy like with a J.I.B. or the Minaska unit with your remote, it is even better, in my opinion.  If a big old coyote hangs up in a thick place and looks down there and sees something doing the same motion over and over, with no variation, it can tip him off to something being out of place.  Not always, but on a smarter old dog.  I have had lots of coyotes hang up at 250 to 350 yds, and I would turn the JIB on with the voice activated, and never turn the sound back on that called him in, and it is a sight to watch them go into video mode and start coming to get that rascal.  I have always felt that the squeaking voice fits the situation, much like a lip squeak does, and can close the deal for you.  Other guys don't believe in decoys at all, and that is their right.  I know what they do for me.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Silencer

I was told by the Misses of the new property I'm about to hunt is not pressured......then I spoke with the husband and he said a few have been hunting it on and off.  Figured I'd try out the motion deke there first thing in the morning.   Thanks Al.   

Silencer

For some reason I cant get my 416 to work the JIB.  Not sure if its even suppose too.  What I'll do if one hangs up like you said is switch the sound over to guinnie pig on the call itself. 
For the most part that I've seen around here they usually come blasting right in or dont come it at all. ( at least not to where I can see them ) 

Thanks again !!