• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cabela’s meat grinder and burger press

Started by Hawks Feather, November 05, 2007, 07:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

Grinder:  The model grinder that I bought is the smallest in the Cabela's commercial grade grinder line.  I have been hording Cabela's points for years and finally cashed all of them in to pay for part of the grinder.  The grinder is 1/2 horsepower, draws 375 watts, weights 33 pounds, is rated at 360 pounds per hour, and at $269.99 is not a cheap unit.  At 33 pounds it is also not a lightweight grinder, which I liked.  Last year I used my wife's food processor and it kept moving on the counter – not a problem this year.  The 1/2 horsepower motor also was nice in that it, again unlike last year's food processor, did not get hot as I used it.

The grinder instructions suggested cutting the meat into one-inch cubes.  I didn't think this would be necessary with this quality of grinder and I was correct.  I am sure that if you are looking at making the 360 pounds per hour that you will need to cut the meat up into small cubes.  I had very few pieces that were one inch and when they went into the auger there was no need to use the stomper.  Most of the pieces that I had were between one and one-half and two-inch strips.  These strips were between three and six inches long.  Even with these pieces that were "oversized" according to the instructions, the unit just ate them up and I seldom needed to use the stomper.  There never was any hesitation or slowing of the grinding process the entire time that I used it.  When I was finished, the grinder was easy to disassemble and wash.

Burger Press:  The burger press is a slick attachment to add to the grinder and costs $59.99.  When I bought it I wondered how I would be able to keep making the stack of burgers without the press squirting meat all over the place.  When I started using it I found that when the opening was full, it would start to press some fluid out, but there was no problem like I feared there might be with ground meat being pressed out.  The press comes with five funnels so that it will attach to many different grinders.  Only an assumption on my part, but I think that it could be used on grinders made by, or for, other companies.  When one side was full you just push or pull the sliding arm to the other side.  Of course you want to have a piece of waxed paper under the slider when it is moved.  The underneath side of the slider is tapered outward, but the burger does not just fall out. I would use one hand to lightly touch the burger and the other one (with a piece of waxed paper) to catch the burger.  While this was not hard to do, it was much easier when my wife decided I needed help.  I fed the ground meat into the press, would help move the slider, and touch the burger so it would fall out.  My wife was the catcher and stacker.  She also was putting them on sheets so that they could be put in the freezer.  When they set up they will be vacuum sealed to help keep their freshness.  With two of us working the burger making process went very well.  The clear top plate comes off and the unit is easy to wash when you are finished.  The finished burgers are 4 and one-half inches wide, three-quarters of an inch think, and weigh in at one-third pound.

Grinder Pros:  On the grinder I liked the weight and solidness of the unit.  There were no problems of any kind while I was using it.  It seems to be built like a tank, which was also something that I was looking for in a grinder.  If I were only going to be doing one deer every few years I would have gotten a cheaper model.  Since I hope to be processing two or more deer per year, I wanted a grinder that would keep on working and this one seems to fit that need.  This is one of those tools that when your friends find out you have one they will be calling when they harvest their venison.  The good thing is that you can let them use it and not worry about it falling apart.  Having them remember to return it might be a problem.

Grinder Cons:  I can't think of one.

Burger Press Cons:  The only thing that I would like to see is an additional or optional slider with a smaller diameter hole for the burger.  This one makes a one-third pound burger which is great for me, but my wife couldn't finish her's tonight.  With the venison/hamburger mix there is very little shrinkage and I would like to see a nice one-quarter pound size slider.

Burger Press Cons:  The only thing that I would like to see is a slider with a smaller diameter hole for the burger.  This one makes a one-third pound burger which is great for me, but my wife couldn't finish her's tonight.  With the venison/hamburger mix there is very little shrinkage and I would like to see a nice one-quarter pound size slider.

This picture shows the Cabela's meat grinder while in the process of grinding just over forth pounds of venison.  I kept some steaks and roasts from the 6-point I harvested and the rest became burgers.  I mix cheaper hamburger with my venison with the end result of having burgers that taste like ground sirloin (or better).  While not necessary, I used the grinder to mix the venison and the cheap hamburger together and it did an excellent job of that.  So when it comes to my use today: forty pounds of venison, eighty pounds to get them mixed, and fifty pounds of patties.  The other 30 pounds were put up in one-pound bags for chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Here is the burger press about halfway through the burger making process.  The right hand side is full and ready to be pushed over so that the other side can start filling.

Jerry

FinsnFur

:yoyo: The Ronco burger machine  :biggrin:

Nice read Yerry.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

WhiteHare

Nice write up Jerry.

However I'm sort of a slow learner.  If I ever get a deer I think you will have to show me how to use it.  I'll bring my deer up to you for processing.

Don't get me wrong.  You gave really good instructions.  It's just that I am a hands on learner. :eyebrownod:
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

slagmaker

Very good read. Me and my neighbor have kicked around the idea of going in halves on some processing equipment. the burger attachment sounds like a hell of an idea
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Richard,
Bring your deer on up and I will show tell you what to do.   :biggrin:

Slagmaker,
If you have someone else in the area it would be a great way to go.  Cut your costs in half and might even have an assistant while working.

Jerry