• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

camp dry mink oil

Started by bigben, November 12, 2008, 09:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

well I have been wearing a pair of rocky boots for about 4 years now and the waterproof coating they claim that are on these boots have gave up the ghost a long time ago.  so I decided that this year I was not going to be hunting with wet feet again.  so I sought out and searched for a suitable replacement to what I used to use on my hunting boots and came up with this.

this is kiwi's description of this product
Camp Dry Mink Oil contains a multi-refined oil of mink that penetrates deeply into leather, restoring natural oils while conditioning and waterproofing. Recommended for use on outdoor work and sport boots. Keeps leather soft, supple and waterproof.

the directions that came on the container pretty much said to message the product into the leather.  well the way I did it was a bit different.  I used to use a product called snow seal which is a beeswax product but when you put it on your boots I swore they weighed ten lbs heavier.  we used to put it on by smearing this beeswax substance which kinda looked like vasaline onto our boots.  then stuck them next to the fireplace and let the wax melt into the leather.  well since I did not have a fireplace at my disposal and needed to get my boots done I grabbed the heat gun from work. 

I went home and took a rag (old t shirt) and used that to apply a liberal coating of this mink oil (which looks more like butter then oil) onto my hunting boots makeing sure that I got in all the nooks and crannys that water allways found away through.  after that I broke out the heat gun and started to heat the boots.  just running the gun about three inchs away from the surface of the leather.  after a few swipes I noticed the whitish mink "oil" started to turn clear and then I actually seen the leather open up and draw in the oil.  I did this to both boots and after I was done I spread a extra coat around the seams and bottom of the leather where it met the sole.  I have hunted with em this fall so far and the leather is still soft and more importantly I have dry feet after hiking all day.  now the boots are a little warmer now but that is to be expected when you coat a piece of material in oil.  so far I am extremely happy with this product.  I tried several other silicoln products on these boots and they worked for a hour or two and then it went back to the same old boots.  these boots lasted so far.  I will give another report at the end of the season but I doubt I will have any problems with it then either. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Silencer

thanks,  I'm about out of sno seal and was looking for another alternative. 

FinsnFur

That sounds like a good idea, warming the leather. It's not harming the leather in anyway to heat it like that? How hot do you get it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

I always place my boots near a heat source after applying the waterproofing.   Its usually a woodstove and not a direct source lol..   

I remember years ago the original mink oil and our beagles didnt appreciate it.

weedwalker

I always used a hair dryer on mine for heat. It worked OK.

bigben

I do not think you could hurt leather with heat short of throwing them in the fire.  that is what leather is so great for.  it is like a second skin.  I actually heated mine up till it looked like the oil was boiling.  which it wasnt but what actually was happening was the leather was expanding and allowing the oil to penetrate. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Silencer

I ended up getting the regular kiwi mink oil, walmart didnt have it.  They did have the camp dry spray  :shrug:

bigben

still going strong.  next pair of leather boots I get will get a treatment of this stuff.  I am heading back to my buddies place this weekend for a hunting trip and I intend to get another tub just to have it. 

bigben

a little more of a long term report on this product.  my boots started leaking again.  well the one did.  I finally wore the leather out after 8 years of use the leather pulled away from the sole while riding the other week and now the one leaks.  the other one however still is waterproof.  :yoyo: awesome product and would reccomend it to anyone.  I need to buy another pair of boots now.   :mad3: and those things were comfortable. argg

5 SHOTS

I use an old tooth brush and just glob the mink oil on thick, working it into every little corner then let them sit in the car with the windows up on a good hot day. I have been wearing those boots 5 or more years now. I only apply the camp dry once a year.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Todd Rahm

I do just like 5 Shot says, once a year if'n they need them or not, and tooth brush it on thick.  :biggrin:

Note: Clean dirt off first.  :innocentwhistle: