• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Grandson Code got good blacktail opening day of bow season

Started by Okanagan, September 02, 2023, 09:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

With more mass than the picture seems to show, Code's opening morning buck is a very good blacktail.  He shot it within minutes of legal shooting time, at about 20 yards or less.

The buck was standing still broadside when he shot, but as Code released it turned its head and the arrow flying toward the ribs close behind the shoulder hit it in the side of the head instead.  Weird wound. 

The mechanical broadhead penetrated bone from side to side of the skull, but did not quite fully exit the off side, making a slight bulge on the skin rather than cutting a full exit hole. 

FinsnFur

Thats pretty cool. Is he really getting it mounted like that (with the arrow)? That would be cool as hell.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

That would make a cool mount.  He is cleaning the skull for a European mount.  The bone damage is easy to see once all of the soft tissue came off.  The arrow chipped the outside of the top vertebrae without  damaging the spinal cord.  The unfortunate buck did a short run and left a huge blood trail.

Hawks Feather

With that type of a hit it probably didn't go all that far. If I had a shot like that I would say that it was exactly what I planned.  :innocentwhistle:

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.