• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Is this it? The end of the world?

Started by FinsnFur, March 07, 2012, 05:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

It rocked the Northern Lights up her for sure. They looked awesome.  :biggrin:

Jim, if you want to get the effect in a non lab setting, just poor a gallon of gas in your burning barrel and drop in a match.  :alscalls: (Kids do not try this at home)  :nofgr:

Hawks Feather

Hey Todd, didn't you get a new camera a short time back?  If so, where are the pictures?

Jerry

Todd Rahm

I did Jerry, but didn't have it with me and if I understand it correctly? I have to have it on a tripod with a slow shutter spead to get good pics of the lights?

Hawks Feather

Yep, the tripod would sure help.  I have seen several images and most were around a second or slightly more.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

I'll try that next time then, thanks.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Next time?

NEXT TIME!

:doh2: next time we might all be dead. :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

I have seen pics that used up to a thrity second shutter speed to get the real faint lights. Best to experment and see what ya get. You also sometimes need to play with the ISO. If you want I think I still have a site that has a tutorial for taking aurora pics.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Todd Rahm

Jerry I get the lights more often then not up here in the winter time and the local news tells me if they are expected to be good that night, so I stand a good chance of being alive and even taking pictures.  :biggrin:

Sure Slag!!

Todd Rahm

On a side note my 13 year hasn't really had a chance to see them yet (Always in bed late at night when they show up. Darn school anyway!)

Well last night we got out of Judo late (Around 9:30PM) and it was chilly and clear, and Wyatt says " Hey Dad, are those the northern lights?"

Sure enough they were so I drove out of town to a darker location (No town lights). He got to watch them for about 20 minutes. Mostly green, but with the occasional fast moving color spurt across the one side of them.

So all in all it was a fun expereince with him. Wait until I take him out in the fall during hunting season.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

:yoyo: Just one of those things that many of us will never have at out finger tips. I'm glad Wyatt got a taste of them. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Todd,

Glad to hear that you and Wyatt got a chance to spend some time together and see the Northern Lights "up close and personal" rather than the way most of us get to see them.   

Jerry

P.S.  For those that know.  I am taking the high road.   :iroll:

Wassa matta wit seein em on Ice Road Truckers Jerry????   :shrug:

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

HaMeR

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 09, 2012, 10:24:00 PM
Todd,

Glad to hear that you and Wyatt got a chance to spend some time together and see the Northern Lights "up close and personal" rather than the way most of us get to see them.   

Jerry

P.S.  For those that know.  I am taking the high road.   :iroll:

Wassa matta wit seein em on Ice Road Truckers Jerry????   :shrug:

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Sorry Jerry!!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11