• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Guns must be cased at LBL

Started by KySongDog, December 17, 2009, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Just saw this about casing a firearm.  Wasn't there last year (or at least I do not remember reading it)

Firearms possessed during legal hunting season by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber and magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle.

Seems like every time I go back to the LBL web site I see new changes.   :shrug:

bigben

hmm except for the part of being cased here in pa if you gun has ammo in the magizene it is considered loaded yet.  is this not standard all over?  I allways thought that a firearm had to be unloaded to have in a vehicle.   :confused:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Okanagan

Quote from: bigben on December 17, 2009, 11:29:12 AM
hmm except for the part of being cased here in pa if you gun has ammo in the magizene it is considered loaded yet.  is this not standard all over?  I allways thought that a firearm had to be unloaded to have in a vehicle.   :confused:

It's been that way everywhere I've lived (I.e. rounds in magazine equals loaded firearm, not allowed in a vehicle) but I don't think that is the law everywhere.  I've hears that Texas or some other state allows rounds in the magazine in a vehicle.  Even where a loaded firearm is not allowed in a vehicle, the legal language usually allows for a detachable magazine to be loaded as long as it is not touching the firearm. 

KySongDog

Quote from: bigben on December 17, 2009, 11:29:12 AM

I was talking about the CASING of the firearm and not the unloading of it.   :nono:

slagmaker

Them there AR shooters got it made. :eyebrow: Pull the mag and lock the bolt back and your good to go.  :wo:Easy peazy lemon squezzy :huh:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Jimmie in Ky

That has always been the case Semp. Your memory may be failin' ya like hte rest of us old farts .

Two things to be remembered above all. Case those weapons and do NOT DRIVE OR PARK IN FIELDS. You can be checked at any time and you may run into a ranger anywhere. They can even write speeding citations, so watch yourselves. Jimmie

Yotehntr

As far as I know that's always been the law here in TN too.

edited to add:   This is a state law... might not have been listed as a LBL regulation because it's covered as state....?
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

KySongDog

Except for LBL, in KY, I don't think you have to case and unload a weapon. 

HaMeR

Does a soft case qualify or does if have to be a hard lockable case?
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

CCP

A gun sock qualifies in TN also. Just as long as it's enclosed in something.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

That's one of the inconvieniences of handguns too at LBL. Unloading and reloading every time you move.

coyotehunter_1

Semp, if  I may sidetrack your topic for a just a second?  

Quote from: slagmaker on December 17, 2009, 01:21:30 PM
Them there AR shooters got it made. :eyebrow: Pull the mag and lock the bolt back and your good to go.  :wo:Easy peazy lemon squezzy :huh:

I may be wrong... someone please correct me if I am... Unless the law has changed recently, in Tennessee and when a firearm is in a vehicle, the firearm itself and all mags (clips or whatever you choose to call those things that hold and load cartridges into a firearm), removable or not have to be unloaded. Handgun carry permit holders are excluded EXCEPT on LBL.

Also keep in mind the shotgun shot size restrictions... you may want to make sure that there are no shotgun slugs or Buckshot rolling around under the truck seat. That might put a big grin on those LBL officer's faces as they write you a heavy citation. :doh2:  

My apologies Semp.  Now back to our regular scheduled programming .....
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

pitw

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on December 17, 2009, 01:21:52 PM
  Your memory may be failin' ya like hte rest of us old farts .

Two things to be remembered above all. Case those weapons and do NOT DRIVE OR PARK IN FIELDS. You can be checked at any time and you may run into a ranger anywhere. They can even write speeding citations, so watch yourselves. Jimmie

This is kinda new news to me I'll say.  Where was this kind of information hiding :confused:
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

KySongDog

Thanks, Chet, ya beat me to it. 

I swear that casing reg wasn't there the last time I looked.   :nono:

pitw

Hey thanks for the link  :bowingsmilie:. That's got some wild stuff on it eh.  Only problem I really had though was this.

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on December 17, 2009, 01:21:52 PM
  You can be checked at any time and you may run into a ranger anywhere. They can even write speeding citations, so watch yourselves. Jimmie

Didn't find it on the Site. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

CCP

Barry it is goverment land and has some of it's own rules and law enforcement.

The second LBL hunt we had there was a gentlemen there that go stopped at night coming to the cabins. He had a pistol and when he told them he had a permit they told him his state issued permit didn't mean anything to them there. They let him go tho.

We have never had a problem there in the past and the law enforcement guys there have been good to us.

Semp I dont know anything about the KY rules. When I moved to Nashville TN and started hunting someone told me about the cased gun issue. I lived 2 miles from the state office and went there to ask. I was told a gun case (hard or soft) or a gun sock. Also if the gun was not in either that locking the ammo in the glove box or truck was acceptable.

Now to throw another coal in the fire wasn't there a law passed last year that a person could posses a concealed weapon as long as they had a valid carry permit for protection on state/government parks land??
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Quote from: CCP on December 17, 2009, 06:53:16 PM

Now to throw another coal in the fire wasn't there a law passed last year that a person could posses a concealed weapon as long as they had a valid carry permit for protection on state/government parks land??

That new rule takes effect February 22, I think.  It was one of the last things the Bush administration got done before leaving.