• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Absolutely AWESOME Thanksgiving Weekend Hunt

Started by FOsteology, November 28, 2010, 04:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

I'm tired as "L".

My oldest boy Joe (age 15) and I went hunting in the Texas Hill Country this weekend. We were hunting outside the sleepy little
hamlet known as "Pipe Creek" (a stone throw away from Bandera). The rut was ON this weekend! Saw numerous deer each day.
Bucks were chasing the doe none stop.

My son was shooting my 7mm-08 stoked with 120gr. TSX

He managed to trip the trigger on two wt bucks and then this morning a monster Stag!

The Stag was what we would call a "target of opportunity". Numerous Ranches in this area (and throughout the Hill Country) are high fenced, and have exotics.
It's a regular occurrence for these animals to escape when the fences are damaged from a variety of causes (storms, floods, poachers, etc.).

This old boy undoubtedly was in the wrong place at the wrong time! We saw him (approx. 120 yards away) and he seen us at the same time. I must have sounded
like one of those excited Cajuns on the Discovery channels  "Swamp People" as I kept shouting, "Chood-um"!  :alscalls:

120gr. TSX busted him hard. He went all of 30 yards and piled up.

Gutted him on the spot to lighten the load...... but it was still a chore to load him in the truck!

I'm beat...... need a shower and a few winks of sleep. I'll be back later to fill it in a bit more.

Carolina Coyote

Yes Sir, Looks like you had a mighty fine weekend.  :highclap:   :congrats:   :biggrin: cc

Hawks Feather

Well Swamp People, u dun gooud.  That really is an awesome looking animal and the second one is even better.

Jerry

HaMeR

A couple of nice bucks for sure Fos!! You guys dun reeeel goood!!  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

chood um!, chood um!...yep you sounded just like ole Troy :laf:
Thats some nice looking antler right there. Nice job! Give the boy a kudos  :yoyo: for us too.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

Sounds like a GREAT time!!!!!!!  Glad ya got to ............ "Chood-um"!    :alscalls:      :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyote101

Nice job FOs. Congratulations to you and Joe.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

John_NY

sounds like you had a great time. Congrats to you and your son. That stag looks like it has alot of calls in them antlers.  :alscalls: 

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

iahntr

Sounds like a good hunt and a lotta meat there !  :yoyo: :highclap:
ya gotta love Troy !  :laf: :laf:
Scott

Jimmie in Ky

Almost makes me want to move to texas  :nono: . I wouldn't mind having an exotic nearby either. Don't let Johnny or AL anywhere near that stag. That rack won't look so good if ya do  :laf:

And I have been very fond of my 7mm08 for many years now. Its not too picky as to what ya load it with and carrys well in about any condition. Jimmie

KySongDog

Happiness is a warm gut pile.   Nice hunt!   :congrats:

FOsteology

Thanks 'fellers! My boy Joe is still grinning ear to ear.  :biggrin:

Shot distance on both WT was right at 100 yards. Both dropped in their tracks. The second WT was on an incline
as he was about to head back up the hill (which is steep). At the shot he dropped and actually flipped over. Almost looked like a
back flip! 
No bullet recovery. Not even on the Stag. The Barnes TSX does some serious damage.
The second WT had both his shoulders drilled (perfectly broadside). The off shoulder was not salvageable due to
considerable bone fragments.

Now that both boys have taken a couple bucks, it leaves me 6 weeks till our season ends. Hopefully I can get myself on a nice buck!

FOsteology

Oh yeah, forgot to mention..... the first buck we figure is 4 1/2yo and the second one 2 1/2yo.
With as much rain as we've had since last Oct., the younger buck should have had a better rack.

First wt weighed 150.3lbs on the hoof. Second was 118lbs

The Stag tipped the scales at 257lbs dressed. I figure he was 350-375 on the hoof.

vvarmitr

Holy smoke!  :shock2:
That is truely awesome.
That's a big Red Stag!  :yahoo:

Dave

When opportunity knocks!!!
I'm guessing for exotics you can 'chood em when ya chee um?'
Congrats to you and your son.   :congrats:

coyote101

How many other exotics have you been able to take over the years FOs? I would really love to get a chance at a nilgai someday.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FOsteology

Over the years, we've taken a handful of exotic species. Mostly Axis as they're numerous and free range throughout the Hill country.

Species that we've killed in Texas:

Axis
Blackbuck
Fallow
Elk
Red Deer
Sika
Scimitar Horned Oryx
Audad
Rams (Mufalon, Corsican, Texas Dall, etc.)

Water Buffalo
Emu (250Savage's first big game)

Hawks Feather

Dang, if they have lost that much stock I think I would consider another fence or two to keep them in.

Jerry

FOsteology

Quote from: Hawks Feather on December 02, 2010, 01:24:29 PM
Dang, if they have lost that much stock I think I would consider another fence or two to keep them in.

Jerry

Not from one place. The Texas Hill Country encompasses a tremendous amount of land. Numerous (more than you can shake a stick at) Ranches are high fenced.
Some anywhere from 100 acres up to 20,000+ acres. Many of the BIG places require a hired hand or two (or more!) just to maintain the fencing. Hunting the Hill Country is great in
that one literally has no idea what might show up! I've seen numerous African PG species, and even a Giraffe!

Todd Rahm

I would love a weekend like that anytime.  :biggrin: Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!