• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snappers !!!!

Started by cb223, July 05, 2007, 09:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I thought ya just boiled em right in the shell and made turtle soup  :nono: :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

awh

:rolleye:

We have found a guy that will buy them for like 65 cent a pound. But they have to be alive. So we are in the process of making a turtle trap as the ponds we fish are loaded with them. If you see one turtle, theres hundreds you don't see. Trust me.

Next time your at a fancy eating place look at the menu. If they have turtle listed I bet its the most exspensive thing on there.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

fuzz624

I love eating turtle.It has got to be some of the best eating there is.Me and some of my buddies had a turtle fry a couple of weeks ago.There are sevral different ways to catch them.Traps work good.Turtle hooks work just as well,and they are cheap.Then there is the old reach up under the bank and pull them out way.This is a little more dangerous than i like.One of my buddies got bit by a muskrat doing it this way.

frshwtr

check your state laws before trying this. in pa (my home state) you can put out set lines, ther is a certain size hook you have to use; its 3 " in length and 1"across the gap (from point to shaft) use a strong cord (nylon card usually has a pound test on it and you want at least a 100 lb test) and its best to anchor the line to a tree branch that moves but doesnt beak real easy. as best possiable try not to make your sets where there is debrie on the bottom because if they tangle up under water they drown (i dont eat those because i dont know how long they are dead, i check my lines first thing every morning. as far as bait any tough bonless meat works but i find fillet of carp best; fillet the carp leaving the skin and scales on  in piesces about 4" by 2" thread it on the hook and throw in water. ther are certain areas of streams and ponds that hold more snappers but that a different story. when one is caught bring it in on the line and grab it by the tail; keep it away from your body while carrying. its best to transport in a big drum because they can and will climb out of the bed of a pick-up truck. i agree with the cleaning method suggested earlier but didnt see anything about cutting the head off and believe me it makes cleaning them easier if the head is off. i still have all my fingers, been bit a few times (was careless) and can tell you the bruise it leaves takes a while to heal up.

bambam

I trap turtles and sometimes catch them by hand in the river if the water is clear and I can see good. No way would I go feeling around in the mud for them.  :rolleye: :rolleye: I like to cook turtle in the crockpot. I add a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, and whatever spices I want. Slow cook on low for about 8 hours. Delicious.

pitw

Quote from: bambam on March 08, 2010, 07:45:52 PM
I trap turtles and sometimes catch them by hand in the river if the water is clear and I can see good. No way would I go feeling around in the mud for them.  :rolleye: :rolleye: I like to cook turtle in the crockpot. I add a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, and whatever spices I want. Slow cook on low for about 8 hours. Delicious.

Man when I saw you on a thread about snappers I was 15/5ths afraid to open it :innocentwhistle:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

But it didn't stop ya did it Barry?  :nono:

bambam dont snapping turtles have mushroom inside them already?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bambam

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 08, 2010, 08:52:47 PM
But it didn't stop ya did it Barry?  :nono:

bambam dont snapping turtles have mushroom inside them already?

No there's not muchroom inside a snapper. They're usually full of  crawdads and fingers.  :iroll: :iroll:

Jimmie in Ky

Bambam, you'll do LOL  :alscalls: Jimmie