• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Chilcotin country in British Columbia

Started by Okanagan, February 23, 2010, 08:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The phone booth below, near Big Creek, BC, has to be one of the loneliest phone booths in North America.  It's a good 35 miles up an unpaved logging road from the nearest pavement, and another 60 miles from there to the nearest real town.    A week ago I drove about 150 miles across country on logging roads from Hanceville to Clinton and took a few pics along the way.  Saw four moose, 29 mule deer, one coyote, two bands of bighorn sheep and some eagles.

Below is the Fraser River frozen down below the Gang Ranch.

A frozen waterfall in the sage of the Fraser Canyon near the Gang Ranch

Fraser canyon with a band of bighorn sheep on the near rim of the chasm.

pitw

Wow nice pics again.  My father worked at the gang ranch two winters in '46 and '47 I believe.  He said it was beautiful country but he came home to be a flatlander. :congrats: :congrats:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

Man that 1st pic is awesome!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  They are all good but the 1st one is the one I like the most. Thanks for sharing.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on February 24, 2010, 06:51:55 AM
Man that 1st pic is awesome!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  They are all good but the 1st one is the one I like the most. Thanks for sharing.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Yep, that photo is my favorite also, and way more typical of the vast Chilcotin country than the "edge" of in it the big canyons that the other photos show.    I shot the bobtailed coyote mentioned in another thread near where this photo was taken, and also had two wolves howl back at me in that area.

We moved 3/4 mile closer to where we thought the wolves were howling and had them howl back a second time, but they sounded as far away as before.  We drove a mile and a half closer to where we thought the sound came from and called with prey sound but nothing came in.  Our howls may have run them off.  I just don't know enough about wolves, but it sure is fun to be able to hunt such country.  I'm blessed.  Just wish I had more time.