• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL 2010 Hunt Date Poll

Started by KySongDog, August 07, 2009, 09:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

The first full weekend for center fire rifle hunting is January 29, 30, and 31, 2010.  This will allow KY hunters to take a bobcat (no electronic calls).  

In the past our hunt has always been scheduled for the first weekend in February.

So what is your choice?  Voting ends in 5 days.

coyotehunter_1

Jan. is fine with me.

Semp, I'm going to sticky this topic so it won't get lost in the shuffle.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

January works for me as well. Got to get in there the first open weekend before they get anymore skittish.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

slagmaker

doubt I will lbe able to attend but I like the idea of january. Opens up some hunting options.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Mallardsr

Every year somebody wants to change the date. The hunt is what it is because it is. There is some reason, some earth shattering, life changing reason. Looks like I will have my choice of cabins this year. :biggrin:

KySongDog

We are 6 months away from the hunt.  Are your plans locked in stone already?

In the past, LBL always started the rifle season on February 1 for the month of February only.  Now under new management (the US Forest Service) they are starting in late January.   Why not take advantage of the first full weekend?  But majority rules so that is why the poll was put up.  If the majority wants the second weekend (i.e. February 5,6,7) then that is what we will do.  Fair enough?

FinsnFur

Either one is fine by me...if I'm able to make it.
But if the voting isnt won by a major sweep we may end up with a posse there each weekend. Which might be kinda cool too I guess.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Either weekend works for me.  I plan to be there.  If I had to choose I would prefer the Jan. dates just because that gets us there when the rifle season begins!  Looking forward to seeing you guys. 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

CCP

I go for different reasons I guess. I go to  relax not for the hunting. If it were the hunting I would go in Oct.

The LBL has been a tradition for some of us since it's beginning. A place for a few coyote hunters to meet once a year to swap stories and catch up on what is going on in each others lives. A place to put names with faces and create friendships that can last a lifetime.

The 1st LBL hunt was also the first time I had meet another coyote hunter in life and it meant a lot to me. I remember exactly were I was in LBL when I looked around and said I will always go here the first weekend of Feb for the rest of my life as a yearly reward to myself. Even if there was never a hunt i would still be there.

My heart was broken that the LBL was closed last year, Even tho Redbird was fun it still wasn't the same as the LBL. So it really isn't a choice for me it is just a part of my life once a year.

If the vote goes to Jan then so be it but I hope some of you stay around for the second weekend of Feb because I would really enjoy seeing you guy's

I know Aaron cant make it because that is the last 3 days of deer season here. I put my vacation in everywhere I go on day one for the first weekend of Feb.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

LBLDOG

If I know my LBL history right Jimmie in KY met with CCP  one day at LBL to discuss the plans of their very first yote hunt in LBL . I personally think out of respect to these 2 men we should let them decide when it's going to be ! I'm like CCP about tradition and keep it as they have had it for years and years.  All this was their vision years ago and your always  going to get LOTS of opinions when you have large groups of people deciding.  I just want to thank them for a very cool thing they come up with   !!

weedwalker

Either weekend is OK with me. But like CCP and others, I go to the LBL to see my freinds that I don't get a chance to see all year. If there are some that can't make it till the second week, I'd rather wait so we could all be there together. It's not all just about the hunt.

KySongDog

I went back and checked and it looks like we did this same poll back in November 2008!   :nono:

http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=7199.0

I'm retired so I can go either or both weekends.  Maybe we should rename the LBL Hunt to the LBL Gathering?   :biggrin:   Do we need a poll?  :laf:

Bills Custom Calls

I say just leave it in Feb

I was always told if it ain't broke don't fix it
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyotehunter_1

The first LBL get together was a group effort, we asked for everyone's input, it's always been that way. No one person has the final word. If the question of moving the date (to take advantage of Ky Bobcat season) had not been asked, someone would have questioned why we were not doing it in Jan.  

Guys,  it's a POLL.... it's your chance to express your feelings on the subject, nothing is set in stone. :shrug:
Yes, this topic was brought up last year and will most likely be brought up again in the future.

I voted to move it for the Ky folks, as there are quite a good bunch of them that attend every year.

It don't matter to me when... I will my try best to be there.  :eyebrownod:

Chet

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Quote from: LBLDOG on August 08, 2009, 01:54:26 AM
If I know my LBL history right Jimmie in KY met with CCP  one day at LBL to discuss the plans of their very first yote hunt in LBL . I personally think out of respect to these 2 men we should let them decide when it's going to be !

Better read up on your history LBLDOG. Here it is-------------->>>> http://www.easterncoyotes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=45

As far as when it was planned, I really thought we did it the first full weekend of the LBL's centerfire hunt for coyotes. The month wasn't that big of a deal. I too want to see you guys more than I want to hunt. That was the purpose since the beginning, I just thought why give them a full week to get call shy. In the past when we didn't hunt on the first weekend of February was due to it only being a half weekend like Feb. 1 falling on a Sunday or something. That wasn't good for those of us that have to work.
I myself am not going to be hard headed about this thing though. I want to see you guys more than I want to hunt coyotes. So rather than stepping on anyone's toes, I will allow the best hunting weekend to go in order to see everyone if that's what you guys would rather do.
You're my friends and I will give a lot of latitude for many of you.  :wink:

A quote from my article about the LBL on easterncoyotes.com:
The first weekend in February was decided, by the majority, to be when the hunt took place. The reasoning behind this was due, in part, because of all the other coyote hunters that would be showing up for the one month of centerfire season. We knew that if we waited until the second or third weekend of February, we would have coyotes that were more likely to be even more call shy than they already were.

HaMeR

Here in Ohio most seasons end Jan 31st except rabbit(Feb 28) & deer(Feb6 or 7). If we were to keep it as it has been in the past would that keep us away from deer hunters or trappers?
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Deer season (archery) goes out January 18 at LBL.  Trapping goes out January 24.  Except beaver which runs Feb 1 through the 28th.

Squirrel, rabbit, and crow will still be in season through Feb 10 or to the 28th, depending on which one you're after.

Bopeye

Here's another thought. It might not happen, but then again it may.

If we don't grab opening weekend at LBL some other hunt site or club may latch on to it. It won't affect us hunting the second weekend, but it sure will put a damper on the actual hunting. I do attempt to hunt when I'm there, but if we just want a gathering I have no problems with leaving my guns at home and just shooting the bull all day. Either way. :shrug:

CCP

LBLDOG, I just happened to be able to make the first hunt. The credit for starting it goes to alot of others. I had nothing to do with planning. I had just got on line for the first time in life a moth or so before the hunt.

Chet is right it was not setup as anyone or a few in charge but rather as a group of guys meeting up at LBL for a gathering. It was chosen because we could also hunt there with center fire weapons.

Alot of guys rallied to make LBL a PM sanctioned hunt. It was for one year. I rallied as well as a few others to not have a sanctioned hunt or an organization or person running it. I have always liked the idea of the group as a whole in charge of one another. The second year PM was going to sponsor the hunt but wanted to change the date to later in the month because BS was doing the shot show the week before and didn't want to have it the very next week. This caused some problems and the group decided we ALL wanted to have a say instead on one or a few. At this time it was agreed on the first full weekend in Feb.

I like the idea of the polls and it gives everyone on the board a chance to vote. I was wanting to bring some of this up at last years LBL but it was canceled because of the storm. I would like to see this kind of stuff brought up at the next LBL so everyone can have a voice. There are many that come to the LBL that don't sign up here but need to be heard at the hunt. I think we should have a talk and vote at this years event to go ahead and set the date in stone so we don't go through this every year on the board.

Maybe we should start a thread on things we think need addressed at the event. Then ask the ones that come to LBL without signing up to add to the discussion. Then a debate and vote following.

If this years poll changes the hunt date I will do everything I can to make both weekends.  I will honor and respect anything that is talked about and voted on as a group.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bopeye

It will be hard to set this thing in stone a year in advance. What if they change the opening of centerfire again like they did this year.
We might not be able to use centerfires until the second weekend of February next year. That would leave us with birdshot or .22's.
Just a thought.

I don't mind one bit leaving my guns, calls, etc. at home and just coming to the "Gathering".  :wo: Kind of sounds like that old movie "The Highlander". Hope we don't have to take swords and chop each others heads off to "be the one".  :roflmao:

If you chopped my head off and I was wearing an orange vest, I'd look just like a pumpkin.  :eyebrownod:
Oh and if anyone laughs at that, you can BITE ME!!!  :laf: