• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ouch!

Started by Dave, May 02, 2018, 08:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well the fishing was great a few days ago so I lured my wife along for her first saltwater kayak fishing trip with the promise of getting in her 'workout.'  She's obsessed with working out daily - usually a treadmill or a stationary bike - fishing is too boring as you just stand there.
Told her "You'll be pedaling for at least 3 hours!" (as the fishing is done by trolling plugs behind the Hobie).
We were launching around 6:15 am into a slightly breezy bay. 
About 30 yards off the beach I grabbed a plug out of my tupperware box just behind me to the left and was bringing it around to the front of the yak when the rear hook got caught in some rigging and set the front treble into the palm of my hand. Didn't even make one cast yet!  :doh2:

That was 6:20 am.
Had it been later in the morning I may have decided a less aggressive approach.

Grabbed the pliers for a grip and rip

Rip

Nope - didn't want to back out.

Again  1
                       "FUDGE"
Only it wasn't really 'Fudge'

It did git er done!
My wife hollered over "Is everything OK?"
Yeah, we're good to go!

This is 7:30am

We ended up catching 3 bass. 
Unfortunately Barb only had a few hits and didn't actually hook into one.  I passed off the rod to her on one of mine though.
If you look to the right of the pic in the background you can see NYC

Anyway, she had a good time and may try it again (provided the planets align!).

pitw

There is something to be said for barbless hooks.   That didn't look like fun at all.  Have only done it a couple times myself. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Todd Rahm

Ouch indeed. Glad I'm not the only one that seems to do that stuff..................................Exactly how you described it too.  :innocentwhistle:

Dave

Quote from: pitw on May 02, 2018, 08:46:40 AM
There is something to be said for barbless hooks.
HAHA - I was thinking the same!

Thank god it went in the way it did and not have the weight, and thrashing, of a fish on it.  I'm very careful with clearance of hooks when clamping down those fish grippers.  And then it's the long nosed pliers to remove the plug/lure.  Just need to be more careful during the in-between times.

Hawks Feather

Yep, nothing like starting with a rusty hook in the hand to make the rest of the day look good.

Jerry

nastygunz

I just started using fish grippers myself last year and they are awesome I will never be without them again.

pitw

How many fish grippers do ya gotta buy?  They look good but I'm thinking three fingered Louie would let a few fly over the side. :doh2:

FinsnFur

Yowzer! That rust though!!! :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

After you got the hook out did you run your hand through the salt water to sterilize the wound? (Ouch)... :innocentwhistle:

Dave

Quote from: nastygunz on May 02, 2018, 10:29:49 PM
After you got the hook out did you run your hand through the salt water to sterilize the wound? (Ouch)... :innocentwhistle:
It bled pretty good and I washed it off in the saltwater, but not sure if that's good or bad with respect to where I was fishing.  That rusty old hook was probably cleaner than the water.  :puke:

Quote from: pitw on May 02, 2018, 08:21:06 PM
How many fish grippers do ya gotta buy?  They look good but I'm thinking three fingered Louie would let a few fly over the side. :doh2:
Barry - Those grippers float!!!
         -  I've had to circle around and pick them up once or twice.  And thank god I had my rod tethered to the yak or I'd have lost that overboard last trip.  My heart lept out of my chest when that happened, and then I saw the string attached to the yak  :dance:

pitw

Thanks Dave.  Floating would sure help with  :doh2:.

nastygunz

I use one like Dave's for the bigger fish or the ones with teeth and I use the small one for trout,panfish, that type of stuff, they work excellent :

https://gearow.com/products/professional-ultra-light-fishing-lip-grip-grabber-fish-controller?variant=39405301391&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZWs5dzq2gIVxlmGCh1znwaQEAQYBCABEgJEMPD_BwE