• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

So you think you might want to be a bee keeper

Started by trailtwister, August 04, 2015, 08:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Great post trailtwister.  :highclap: My brother-in-law started keeping bees just this year, but he is working on a much smaller scale than you. He has three hives right now, but is already talking about getting more.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Very interesting :wink: I appreciate ya sharing that with us. That was rather educational to say the least.
SO if you had to guess...how many times have you been stung?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

It's not my thing but I'm glad that somebody does it.  :highclap:  I haven't cared for honey much my whole life but seem to enjoy it more now in my dotage, especially in hot tea.  We got some fabulous honey a couple of years ago from a hive in a peach orchard.  The honey had a wonderful peach flavor, and the bee keeper swore that it was purely honey, no peach flavor additive.   He said that peach comes through the honey maybe stronger than any other kind of blossom.  I recommend it if you run across any!  This came from the Okanagan Valley in Canada.

I got stung 100-150 times by honey bees when I was about ten.  My left ear got stung the least and my Mom counted 34 stings on it.  The other ear and rest of my head and shoulders the stings were too overlapping to count them.   I had meandered near a cluster of 50 or so hives by our pasture that I had walked around many times without problem.  It had never happened before but bees started landing on me and crawling around on me.  I didn't know that the beekeeper had just left from robbing the hives and that the bees were really riled up.  I'd been told to keep still and leave bees alone and that they would soon fly away and not bother me.  Didn't work that time.  Rapidly my head was covered and they started crawling inside my shirt.  I toughed out the first two or three stings without moving, but then bailed out, running at top speed while clawing and swatting bees from my head and face.  They have  some kind of signal because after the first two or three stings, they all started stinging me at once. 

Fortunately, I am not allergic to bee stings.  Swelled up for a few days but nothing serious.   Didn't even go to a doctor in those days for such. 

trailtwister

:alscalls:  :highclap:  :congrats: :laf:  :nono:

Cowards!!!! A tiny little honey bee can make a grown man cry like a baby.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Dave

I THOUGHT I wanted to be a bee keeper, but now I don't!

Thanks for posting as I'm sure it took a long time.  Very interesting. 

Quote from: Okanagan on August 04, 2015, 10:51:39 PM
  I toughed out the first two or three stings without moving, but then bailed out, running at top speed while clawing and swatting bees from my head and face. 

Haha - reminds me when I was a kid my brothers and I used to work on my uncle's farm.  A guy had several hives out in the middle of it all and we all gave it a wide berth.  You could always tell when one of us had a bee get caught in his hair as he'd go flying out of the field while "clawing and swatting A bee" (yeah that's singular, but we were all between 11 and 15 yrs old) headed towards the farmhouse.  We always thought there'd be swarm to follow.

trailtwister

Yes honey can take on the flavor of the nectar they have gathered. I got to taste honey from around the world at the regional club meeting once. It all has that sweet taste with different flavors.
I really liked the garlic flavor from Turkey, was wishing I could get some like that for making stir fry's. Found I could make my own by adding garlic cloves to a pound and a half jar of honey for 3 weeks.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.