• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

20 ga for 'yotes

Started by northern coyote, September 25, 2008, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northern coyote

I'm wonderin' how y'all think a 20ga coach gun will go with a yote and if any of y'all have ever used them, and with what loads? at the moment I'm usin fed. 1 1/8oz (I think) lead number 6's packed into 2 3/4"'s of plastic and brass. I'm tryin to find some 3" loads but my nearby ammo shop dont carry any  :shrug:  :shrug:

season starts on weds along with a monthlong contest for the most dead 'yotes put on by my college's fish and game club  :biggrin:  :yoyo: :eyebrow:

I would be lookin for Bop's help in this but from what I hear he like them big 10's for his 'yotes  :innocentwhistle:

ah well, back to listenin to them loons 'fore bed agin

GOD I LOVE COLLEGE
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

FinsnFur

I got a Browning Invector Plus 20 gauge pump I put in the boys hands when were out calling. But I try to put him in the yotes lap.
He's never gotten the opportunity to point it at one mainly because he can't seem to stay focused on whats at hand, and where's he's to be watching. But I've often wondered if it would anchor a yote or not.

I put 3" #4 in it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I used a 223 x 20 gauge for a bit and at 30 yard's with BB's it worked just fine.  I was less than excited about the ability of the 20 backing up the 223.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

I killed a coyote with 2 3/4 #6 shot (12 ga) while squirrel hunting once (did not call the yote).  We accidentally bumped in to one another.  I had to shoot him 3 times to put him down and he was under 10 yards.  So, yes, #4 birdshot will kill one if he is REAL close.

As always, YMMV.  :biggrin:

Rich

The "coach" gun is likely either cylinder bore, or improved cylinder, which will limit it to very close range. The 20 gauge is a bit light for coyotes because  the hull holds less shot than a 12. Buy a box of 3" magnum fodder in copper plated and buffered  BB, or the new Remington "high density" BB, and then pattern your gun on large paper backing. I am guessing that you will come up with a  25 yard coyote whacker. If your gun accepts screw in chokes, you could gain another 5-10 yards by shooting the same fodder through a tighter choke.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

vvarmitr

20ga for coyote?   :wo:   No way!  :noway:
Now before ya all go off saying I have a 10ga & 12ga because my penis is too short I'll just tell ya I've used 20ga most of my life & only the last few years have I even owned a the 10 & 12 & the reason I bought 'em was for pelletizen coyotes.
Yeah, yeah, yeah I know a 20ga can kill a coyote. So can a 410.  Iffen you get close enough.
I know you're in college but if you could beg, borrow, or steal a cheap single shot 12ga I believe you'd be further ahead.  :wink:  I'd loan ya one but mine are 20ga.  :doh2:

weedwalker

A 3" 20 gauge shell has the same powder and pellets as a 2 3/4" 12 gauge. And unless you live near where duck or goose  hunting is popular it's hard to find the bigger shot for the 20 gauge. And that would most likely be steel or hevi-shot.