• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Knee Replacements

Started by riverboss, May 05, 2019, 07:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

Who has had this done? I'm meeting with a Dr on Friday, my knees have been shot for 15 yrs and I was told I was to young for surgery to tough it out!
Well my toughness has ran away, I hurt them very bad at LBL this last yr.
I haven't been able to do 1/4 of what I could before that.
My wife has gotten about as good as she's going to get and my health insurance will run out in March so it's time to bite the bullet!
Going to do both but don't know if it will be at the same time or if I have to space it out.
I'm hoping to get it done as soon as possible so I will be ready for hunting season in the fall.
Any info would be appreciated.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

nastygunz

I had 2 older family members  Who had both of theirs replaced and they had them done one at a time. They said it made a huge difference in their mobility and pain and help them a lot.

Hawks Feather

I had one replaced 3 years ago.  Football injury in 1966 with several surgeries on it and Synvisc injections for probably 15 years.  When I had the first surgery the doctor said that I would have my knee replaced, but they were only good for about 5 years and to wait as long as I could.  It kept getting worse and I finally said that I was not waiting any longer and got it done.  The life of a knee replacement is much longer now and they scan your knee and make the replacement to the specs of your knee which is much better than years ago when they just cut out more bone and stuck the same size knee (well pretty much) in.  The best advice that I can give you is to start losing weight if you are overweight and to find a place to exercise.  I found that an exercise bike was best for me since there was no pounding on my knee like running.  What you are trying to do is build up the muscles around the knee because the better they are the quicker your recovery will be.  Do the therapy and while not getting carried away, try to push it as much as possible.  After you are done with therapy get back on an exercise bike and also walk each day.  I slowed down for about 6 months and found that it was a mistake and started going again.  I would do it again and probably should have had it done about 10 years ago rather than 3.

riverboss

I'm very active I work 10 hrs a day. On my feet alot then come home and do everything around the house, since the wife can't anymore!
I hunt every weekend and walk several miles doing it, but the pain is making it very hard to do.
I lost a 125 lbs 2 yrs ago but have put on 20-25 lbs in the last yr.
If I don't get them fixed I fear I will just end up paying around and gaining weight!
I really hope I can still hunt like I want to after its done. I'm going to try both at the same time if they think Im a candidate for it so recovery time will be shorter.

Hawks Feather

I don't know if it is my age or where I live, but there have been lots of friends with knee or hip replacements.  (Maybe that should be, if you live long enough you will have lots of friends with replacement parts.)  One had both knees done at the same time and another had one and then the other while still in rehab for the first replacement.  Neither one had any complaints.

remrogers

Have a fiend who had one done three weeks ago. They didn't "replace" the knee. They placed titanium surfaces on both sides of the joint. Says he is doing great. Also know others who have had replacements and they are happy with the results.

riverboss

Tomorrow I will some answers, very nervous about it.

kyfuzzyface

Quote from: riverboss on May 05, 2019, 07:26:28 PM
Who has had this done? I'm meeting with a Dr on Friday, my knees have been shot for 15 yrs and I was told I was to young for surgery to tough it out!
Well my toughness has ran away, I hurt them very bad at LBL this last yr.
I haven't been able to do 1/4 of what I could before that.
My wife has gotten about as good as she's going to get and my health insurance will run out in March so it's time to bite the bullet!
Going to do both but don't know if it will be at the same time or if I have to space it out.
I'm hoping to get it done as soon as possible so I will be ready for hunting season in the fall.
Any info would be appreciated.

I am waiting on Sept when I turn 65 with some better Ins
Doc says I need both replaced ( along with a back surgery) I have had several jell shots and they help a couple of months, They wont do both at the same time due to heart problems, If I do real good maybe the second in 3 weeks
Havn't been able to do any hunting for almost a year. Problems walking
selling the cows and the farm due to this but hope things get better

I have a good friend had 1 done in Jan 14th and just now starting to get around pretty good but I have other friends that has done well

Good luck Dan and keep us updated
Fuzzy

riverboss

Got the date set for July 16th. Doing both knees at the same time, with a newer designed knee were they cap the bones instead of drilling out the bones! Recovery time is alot shorter and they last 25 yrs,
My age and health make me a perfect candidate for them.
Good luck fuzzy! I should be back in the woods by November. I hope yours heal and you have time to get back after some hunting soon.

kyfuzzyface

That sounds great Dan. I am seeing a Dr Sweet in Louisville Ky.  I may have to check your Dr out is he located anywhere close to me.
Fuzzy

riverboss

Dr Hummel is in Florence KY at Cincy Ortho.it really not that far from Louisville. He's rate one of the top surgeons in Ky!
He's done 4 family members in the last 12 months and all have been very pleased.
Good luck.

riverboss

Thanks

linemansteve

I’m going in June 27th for left knee replacement.  Along with Dan this years LBL hunt was very hard on my left knee. Hoping everything goes ok, so next years hunt is more enjoyable  :yoyo:
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

pitw

Luck Steve.  Hoping it goes real well for ya.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Good luck to Steve, Dan and Fuzzy!  I hope all turns out well and we meet up again at LBL next year.   

riverboss

Johnny I will be they're you can bet on it. I just hope I'm pain free.

riverboss

Well 2 weeks and counting, several more Dr appointments to go still. Steve had his done last week and is recovering at home, nerves are starting to get me. Im having a hard time with being couped up and not being able to drive.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

Here is a little before and after x-ray of my knee.  Before was all bone on bone which is not the way God made it.  After shows the space that is supposed to be there.  Since it is some sort of synthetic cushion it doesn’t show, but the stainless steel does show very well.

Before

After

FinsnFur

Damn that makes me cringe :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com