• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Rocky Mt. Goat Video GoPro

Started by code, July 27, 2014, 07:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

code

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

I did like watching it, but it would have been even been better if the GoPro would have been on someone's head.

Jerry

Okanagan

Love the sound of the goat snuffing and sniffing.  Pretty good billy, nice horns!

Carolina Coyote

You guys have access to some beautiful country, Thanks for sharing. cc

nailbender

[ quote author=Hawks Feather link=topic=18353.msg203541#msg203541 date=1406512326]
I did like watching it, but it would have been even been better if the GoPro would have been on someone's head.

Jerry
[/quote]
Don't look now, but that goat just ate your hat! :laf:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nailbender on July 28, 2014, 06:35:03 PM
Don't look now, but that goat just ate your hat! :laf:

:highclap:      :highclap:      :highclap:      :highclap:

FinsnFur

Pretty cool. What'd ya put down there to lure him to the camera?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Very cool, Cody.  How'd you manage that video, and how long did he hang around?

Okanagan

Yeah, Code, what secret formula are you using to attract a Rocky Mountain goat?  You could sell that to goat hunters.

JohnP

Great clip.  Tell me about horn size.  I have a friend who killed one in Alaska and the horns are a great deal larger than this one appears.  Measure length - base diameter, then deductions in difference??
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Hope Cody fills in the rest of the story.  Really fascinating info. I was down to his place last weekend for a funeral and got the story of his hike and the goat.

John re goat horns:

An ordinary goat is a white shaggy beast (during Fall hunting seasons) with black spike horns.  A record book goat is a white shaggy beast with black spike horns.  :huh: :wo:  :shrug:

Differences are subtle.  Billies have continuously curved horns with larger bases and mass.  Nannies have nearly straight horns, narrower from base to tip, and the tips hook back in a distinct kink/bend within one to three inches of the tip.

Scoring is on length, circumferences and asymmetry deductions as you expected from B&C.  A rule of thumb is length of horn compared to length of the goat's face.  Fully as long as the goat's face is close to ten inches, a very good goat.  Anything over nine inches is a good one.  Most have to be at least ten inches long to make B&C, but I killed a 9 1/2 inch billy with lots of mass that scored the minimum of 50.  His bases were 6 1/2, which is the same base size as the world record 12 inch goat I believe.

B&C web site has some field judging guides, and they say horn length from nostril to eye is between 8 and 9 inches. http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_fieldjudging_goat.asp?area=bgRecords&ID=05EC63E2&se=1&te=1

The goat in Cody's video looks on the young side of full maturity to me, or just going into his mature stage.  I guessed him at just over nine inches long.    Nice goat, not close to record.

Do you know how big your friend's goat is?  If it is significantly bigger than Cody's it is record book potential.   

Okanagan

Hey, Code, you can't keep holding out on us!  :biggrin:

Folks have asked how long the goat stuck around and what is the secret attractant formula.    :confused: :shrug: I've got trophy goat hunters from three international internet hunting forums after me to sell them some of the secret potion.   :wink: :biggrin:

I will divulge a bit as to how long the goat stuck around, and Code, you correct it if my facts are wrong.  I think they said that the goat followed them for several miles of hiking, stayed nearby them overnight and parts of two days.

Added later:  just heard that Code is on a killer long hike in the mountains today.  Hope it is a great one!

code

Sorry for taking so long to reply.
The goat was in our camp all night. The goats around here will actually lick up human pee to get the salt out of it.
Well it's the hunters lucky day! They have been carrying around goat bait their whole lives!

I have been super busy with hiking and work so I haven't had time to post. Did a 18-20 mile hike with 4000 feet of elevation gain and then we lost it all.
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset