• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Couple of HAWGS to kick off the season...

Started by Coulter, December 27, 2011, 04:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I only set 5 traps yesterday for the PA Beaver opener and managed to pull out a couple of blanket beaver today (maybe even superblankets).

They were both from nuisance areas and I'm quite sure they have an equal sized partner and a few youngsters in the lodge still.  I actually thought I got in over my head on the first property. I have to use the canoe to cross a bay about a quarter mile wide, give or take. It was no problem getting there, but when I did I figured out that my launch point was sheltered from the 15-20 mph wind.  I realized I had to paddle back directly into the wind. I went ahead and set some traps and figured I'd come up with a game plan afterward. Here is my reward for that set, you can just make out the bay in the background on top of the picture.

Anyway, back to my dilemma. After setting the traps I figured there was no way I would make it straight across the bay in that wind. I weighed my options and figured I would make it maybe half way across, get tired and be blown back to my starting point. Instead, I decided to run the perimeter of the bay. I hate placing my boat, especially a canoe with a lot of freeboard, perpendicular to the wind, but I felt that was my best option.

I pushed off into the wind and my bow was immediately pushed starboard. I must've paddled a few hundred yards...all on one side of the canoe. Normally I would have paddled in circles doing that, but it was just enough to keep me going straight to where I wanted to go. I figured once I reached the phragmites I could grab them and take a break from paddling. If I took a break before then I would just lose precious ground. Eventually I made it back to the sheltered side of the bay and enjoyed a leisurely paddle from there.

Then on to the next trap site...

Here is the channel where one of my traps WAS set. Naturally it was the furthest from the truck. The guy that told me about this site said "Oh yeah, the lodge is within 50 yards of where you'll park". Well he was correct it was. But I couldn't drive in any further. My first trap was probably only 30 yards from the truck...but that one was empty this morning. As was the second trap. After walking a few hundred yards to my last set I found this...my trap was missing from the channel I had it set in.

One heck of a pinch point there, just right for a 330. I looked back and found this beast.

The first beaver of the morning was pushing into the high 50 pound range. This guy made him look small. Darn thing broke my packbasket in the process of getting him back to the truck, that was a looong walk.

Cant wait to see what tomorrow brings. Time to sharpen the knives and hit the fur shed...

Steve

FinsnFur

Thats some nice pelts right there :congrats:
Yeah packing those things out of the backwaters is workout :whew:

Nice work Steve. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Scott

Hawks Feather

Congrats!  From the looks of that one in your truck it is a BIG one.

Jerry

HaMeR

Holee beaver skins that is a bigun!! Congratulations on the catch. I look forward to seeing more of these behemoth critters.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Thanks guys...Got another 45 pounder this morning. I'll post pics of that one tomorrow if they turned out okay. It was dark on the trapline today and I'm not sure if the pictures turned out yet or not.

Steve

fuzz269

Nice lookin flat tails, isnt amazing how much waight they gain from the trap to the truck  :whew:

Dave

Nice job, Coulter.  Good pics and good story.

FOsteology

Do you sell the pelts, or keep them for yourself? How many does it generally take to make a blanket/quilt?

Coulter

Normally I ship most of them up to Canada for the auctions and keep a couple for myself to get tanned. My wife has been bugging me for years to have a beaver coat made, so that is my goal for this year. I almost have enough pelts already and the season still has over two months left. Looks like she may get her wishes.

The number of pelts for a blanket is going to depend on the size of the blanket. Are you looking for a throw, a queen size or a king size blanket? I can find out how many the furrier requires if you let me know the size of the blanket. Just shoot me a PM if you want more info.