• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Work project

Started by riverboss, February 15, 2019, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

I thought I would share a project I have been giving at work!
For those who don't know me I'm 55 yrs old and have been in the body business all my life, 20 yrs ago I would of been super excited to do this, but I'm just so so about it.

I'm in the process of restoring  a 1971 k- 10 Chevy pickup truck, it's a factory 402 big block 400 turbo air conditioning truck.
It's been redone 30 yrs ago and is pretty rough. I have already replaced the cab corners and rockers and used a break to build inner rocker's and braces.

I have new doors and a complete bed on the way. The bed comes in piece's and has to be built from scratch.
Here's some pics of were I'm at now and I will post more pics from time to time. I thought some of you would like to see this as it happens.
I'm getting to old for these big projects and I hope this is my last. I already have over 100 hrs in it.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

There is a LOT of work in doing quality restoration.  Looks like you are doing great on it.

Jerry

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

Todd Rahm

I’m envious of guys with your skill set. I will enjoy following this.

riverboss

I thought some would be interested in this.
The guy who owns it's has all the say so on just how far it goes! So far he's been  pretty good about it.
It's going to be expensive as parts are high and lots are needed. Chrome and hardware are plentiful but I can only do what he allows, so I know he will leave some thing alone that aren't perfect and will still function as should.

It should be a nice driver when finished
Thanks for
Looking and the compliments.

Hawks Feather

I would be interested in seeing more pics as things progress.

Jerry

Okanagan

WOW!  I so admire someone with your skills.  I have none in that department. 

FinsnFur

Wow thats looking good! :bowingsmilie:
Body work is one thing I could never get my head wrapped around. I sure wish I could do it and I have tried many times. But I just cant get it too look good.
I'll pull the motor out and rebuild it myself but cant get that body work figured out.
Im so envious Dan. :congrats: And it's not hard to tell your no shade tree body man.
Cant wait to see the pics to follow.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Jim I love rebuilding engines and stuff like that. Hell I was painting cars at 12 yrs old. I'm going to update photos when things happen, but I'm waiting on parts to be shipped for now.

nastygunz

Back in high school Bondo was king when it came to driveway body work :yoyo:

riverboss

Got alot of parts in yesterday, been working on a couple insurance jobs and haven't had much time to work on the truck.
But I did hang the new doors to see just how much adjusting I will have to do.
The passenger door fits pretty good, the drivers will need some serious tweeking

riverboss

Got the doors jammed in today, and started doing a test fit in the bed panels!
Trying to decide wether to do a spray in bed liner that match's the orange color or just paint the inside of the bed.
Hoping to get the cab painted in the next couple of weeks, they don't make the color in base coat clear coat so they used a camera that you place over the old panels and it takes a pic of the paint and brakes the paint down to give you a formula.
Spent yesterday replacing exhaust manifold studs and bending some pipes to get the exhaust out past the cab for now.
I need the bed to bend tail pipes do I can install the flow masters and finish the exhaust!

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the update. Projects like this always take time and usually something doesn't fit when swapping out parts. Seems like they should, but they don't.

riverboss

Here's a few more pics of were I'm at.
This is $600.00 worth of paint it took 1 1/2 gallons of paint and that much clear just for the inside of the bed.
Paint has gotten very expensive.

Hawks Feather

I guess it has gotten expensive.  I can remember when we would lay on Dupont that was just over $20 a gallon and Ditzler (on the really good stuff) that was twice that. 

Truck bed does look really nice.

riverboss

Yes this paint has went crazy due to the EPA. I can rember painting a car all over including material for $500.00 and making good money.
It's hard to get good enamel anymore. And this is DuPont chromabase and is $140.00 a quart. Some reds are $250.00 a quart.
There will be over $2,500.00 in materials on this job.

Hawks Feather

Nothing like some federal restrictions to make the price go up and probably the quality go down. 

remrogers

The only thing I didn't like about the older trucks was the location of the gas tank behind the seat. My dad had a 59 GMC that had the tank there. Needed better baffles in it. Every time you took a corner, you would hear the gas sloshing in the tank. Had enough deaths due to ruptured tanks catching fire, in the cabs, that they were moved to under the bed. Better chance of surviving a wreck.

Looks like you are making good progress on a good looking rig.

riverboss

Yes the tanks are in a bad spot for sure! I had a 72 camper special with dual tanks, one behind the seat and the other in front of the country rear wheel. It was a death trap!
They make a kit to put the tank where the spare tire goes, which is what I wanted to do, but he said he put this tank in a couple of yrs ago and didn't want to spend the money.
I think he's making a mistake as I lost a good friend just a few yrs ago from a fire due to a ruptured gas tank, and him being trapped in a burning truck.
If he would buy the stuff I would do the labor for free to move it.