• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Tell me about ar15's

Started by bigben, February 17, 2016, 06:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I been thinkin on what to do with my tax refund and i think its time to get an entry level ar15. I stoped at a gun store tonight and looked hard at a mp15 sport 2 but left without it. Im looking for an entry level gun that i can play with and then maybe use it for hunting. Do you guys have a good suggesting for something under $700? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

Lots of options out there.  But I would stay away from any that have a carbon receiver.

You won't go wrong with a Colt M4 LE6920.  But it is a couple hundred over your budget.

Dale

not a thing wrong with the S&W MP15's... mine s a step or 2 above the Sport but that is still a good starting point... my only suggestions would be for it to be a flat top receiver, makes for a lot more secure scope mounting...  if you want to spend a bit more go with a free floating fore arm, but I'm not sure that will make a lot of difference in accuracy at most of the distances you shoot up there...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

riverboss

I would look at the Remington r15, field and stream had a sale on them awhile back  for around $700.00

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

bigben

Thanks for the pointers fellas.  I'm heading down this afternoon to a friends gun shop.  he builds ar15's.  As well as he has gun manufactures built rifles in stock.  I'm kinda like a kid before Christmas right now.   :laf:  Hopefully this afternoon I will have a pic and a report on a new AR. 

What does it take to make a standard AR into a 300 whisper?  The one gun shop said it was as simple as changing out the barrel and that was it.  Is that true?   
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Dale

Quote from: bigben on February 19, 2016, 06:36:37 AM

What does it take to make a standard AR into a 300 whisper?  The one gun shop said it was as simple as changing out the barrel and that was it.  Is that true?

yup that's all, same with the 25X45 Sharps... that's gonna be my next black gun... 

when I was thinking about a larger bore diameter the 300 came up but I figured if I was gonna have a 308 dia, it was gonna have more thump then the whisper... that's when the AR10T came home...   :biggrin:

Coulter

Hey Ben...ask about the Ruger AR556 too. That one is right in your price range and has a better twist in the barrel than the M&P. I picked one up myself, the only thing I don't like so far is the trigger. But that will be switched out when I get a chance. Have fun looking/buying!

Steve

JohnP

Ben I don't think you could go wrong on any of the ones that are on today's market.  I had a ArmaLite in .223 that I used for calling when I hunted the border.  My grandson now has it and has done his best to burn up the barrel, all to no avail.  I now have a DPMS .308-LR that I will use when calling on the border, which I haven't done since I got the darn thing! 

Whatever it is that you end up with I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting it. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

I don't really have a suggestion for you about which one to get, but I will say that they are fun to shoot.  Just remember to pace yourself so that you aren't in need of a new barrel real soon.

Jerry

bigben

I ended up getting a palmetto armory pa-15. Stainless chromelined barrel and my buddie cerekoted a few items on the gun. Pics when i get a chance to go to range.

Hawks Feather

Looking forward to the pictures.

Jerry

bigben

Heres a pic after i got home with it last night.

riverboss

Looks good Ben you will love it after you get it dialed in.

bigben

Thanks

I ended up throwing a 4x32 scope on it this morning and ran ip to the cabin for a little range session. The mounts i have are a bit short but was enough to let me get it sighted in.

The range behind to cabin

The bench i was shooting from. Not real stable and really was shooting off my elbows rested on the bench.

The results of american eagle varmint black box loads. 70 yds

bigben

Dots are 2" left dot was taking my time right dot was 5 rds down range fast as i could. The trigger is heavy and has some creep to it. Does anyone have any suggestions to a lower lb trigger and ajustable creep? 

I like the gun. I need to get smaller mags and mount a decent scope on it and shoot off a real bench but im happy with accuracy thus far.

riverboss

Get some yellow trigger springs I forget the name but someone will chime in with it.
That should get get you to around 3 lbs. Google trigger set screw for at 15 its easy to do I got 3 with factory triggers that feel like $200.00 triggers.

Dale

I put Timney's in all mine, don't like the 2 stage triggers... you can put the springs in but you'll just have a lighter 2 stage...

http://www.ammosc.com/223-stainless-steel-10-rd-magazine

here's who I use for the 10 rd mags...

bigben

thanks guys.  I'll check it out. 

HaMeR

It's a darn good start Ben!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Trigger will help for sure as well as the shorter mags. You'll have it up to speed in no time!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11