• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Look what we got today.

Started by FinsnFur, June 28, 2016, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

A lot of ticked off people when this arrived. Corporate plant sent it up and said take it, use it, we'll be in touch very soon.

Anyone know what it is?

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

I can't believe that corporate sent that to you.  I mean, really?  I haven't seen that model in years so it looks like you are going to have some major work to do.

Jerry

HaMeR

A truckload of work. Tell em you have enough & put return to sender on the invoice.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Is it a sawmill?

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

They called it a bunk cutter. It basically will cut an entire unit of lumber to length.
We had a contract with a mill that would cut all our studs etc to length and we bought them by the unit from them. Two to three truck loads per week. 15 units per truck. (We seriously use that much)
The problem with this saw is now corporate will be buying our lumber for us and having it sent. Four to six truck loads per week. Sounds good except we literally have no where to store that much lumber other then outside. Not even under a lean to roof. We already have a HUGE problem with moldy lumber. I'm sure I dont need to go into detail about how strict HUD building codes are concerning mold. We scrap thousands of dollars in lumber every year due to storage related mold issues. Now the amount of lumber we have to store is being doubled and we arent even ordering it.
Im the Head Receiver and also watch over material handling and storage. I am so screwed!
Scrap? What do we do with truckloads of cutoffs?
I'm about to become an alcoholic.
We called a couple of the other plants that got these shoved down their throats to see how they are dealing with it. One of them said they plow the cutoffs into a pile with a tractor and loader attachment cause the chipper they bought for the job couldn't keep up. And half of what was getting chipped and scrapped was mold. The other half was true cut offs.
How does this save money? I dont get it. We dont get it. Our plant manager fought it for months before the thing showed up. He preached that were not set up to be our own mill and everything it entails. But Corporate dont care.
They all enticed me NOT to sign the BOL's when it arrived. lol C'mon Champion...you gonna refuse delivery or not?
I wonder what corporate would do seriously if they got a notice that we refused delivery of it.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

Hum? The head receiver has to much wood?
Get a girl friend!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

Refuse the delivery and my guess is that there will be someone else there to sign for it real soon. 

As for all that extra wood. . . I know a guy up your way that has a wood burner in his house.  He might be willing to take a couple of semitrailer loads.    :nofgr:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 30, 2016, 07:59:41 PM
Refuse the delivery and my guess is that there will be someone else there to sign for it real soon. 

As for all that extra wood. . . I know a guy up your way that has a wood burner in his house.  He might be willing to take a couple of semitrailer loads.    :nofgr:

Jerry

LOL we actually have a couple wood bins outside our gates that we dump our "current" cutoffs in. The public keeps it pretty clean in the winter, but to me...it's pine and it's not the best thing for a chimney. Not to mention there is a helluva learning curve to burning that stuff compared to hardwood splits. It burns hotter then Hades and faster then imaginable. I do bring a pickup load home once in a while and hatchet it up for starter though.
During the summer months like this, we would never be able to reply on the public using up our cutoffs from those bins. They set full for days right now.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

When will the peons learn. :doh2:
Boss's is always right. :readthis:
Good reason to become one. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

The beast was cristened today. The pudgy fellow on the platform is from Australia where these saws are manufactured. He came in today and set it up and showed how to run it.
This thing is going to be a nightmare no matter how you look at it.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

The two guys on the ground watching seem to be EXTREMELY excited about it.    :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

nastygunz

It looks like a giant chainsaw.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on July 26, 2016, 08:59:30 PM
It looks like a giant chainsaw.

I am guessing an expensive chainsaw if they bring some guy over from 'down under' to show you how to move the arm.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Yah the guy in the blue hat is the production manager. Hes not real thrilled cause he knows production is gonna take a hit trying to facilitate this machine the way our plant is run.
The guy in the black hat is the head maintenance man whose been helping that Aussie set this thing up all day and he just wants to go home and cut hay.
That machine cost 33K. The Ausie told me Skyline bought 10 of them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 26, 2016, 10:07:04 PM
The Ausie told me Skyline bought 10 of them.

So much for that BIG bonus this year! 

Jerry

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Any chance of finding a market for the ends, offer to haul them away and then sell them?  A fellow I went to college with was broke and recently divorced when he noticed a pile of debris as he drove by an industrial area.  He asked about it, found a market for the debris, offered to haul it away for a fee, then sold it.  He started a company to do that in the whole region and got rich by my standards.

Another anecdote:  I worked a couple of summers at a veneer mill, making the thin sheets of wood that glue together to make plywood.  Each fork lift size bundle of cut veneer was strapped tightly for shipping on a flatbed truck to a plywood plant.  Two steel straps ran around 2x4's top and bottom of each bundle to keep it from cutting into the veneer, plus make a space under the bundle for fork lift arms.   When I started the job, a man cut each of those 2x4 blocks on a table saw.  He worked all day every day at it and yet we were often short of some size or other to make up bundles.  The long sheets of veneer were cut to set widths and so the bundles were set widths:  48" wide and lesser widths such as 24" that would combine to make a sheet of 48" plywood.  2x4's were cut to fit the width of each bundle of veneer. 

The foreman came to the lowest man on the job one day, which was me, gave me a chainsaw, a strapping tool and took me to a truckload of random 2x4's.  He told me to stack them waist high, measure out 48", 24" etc., mark the lengths, strap each marked section, then cut between the straps with the chainsaw to make bundles of 2x4's in the needed lengths.  Oila!  I felt bad for the other man but his job was done.  He was retirement age and I think the foreman decided to try the chainsaw idea on me when rather than try to replace him.   On the rare times when we ran out of a particular length, I could cut a big bundle of them in minutes. 

The bigger problem where you work is storage and mold. Solving that is worth considerable money.  Either your upper management is out of touch with production reality, or somebody up there has some plan in mind.  A lot of companies nowadays are trying to reduce and eliminate storing anything by just-in-time schemes, but your outfit is going the opposite direction.  Interesting problem for those of us who don't have to deal with it!   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

We do have a couple caged bins out front of the building now that we dump out cut-offs into and the public generally keeps them pretty clean since it's free. Bon-fires in the summer, and kindling for wood stoves in the winter. Or starter wood.
But were all doubting the public will keep it cleaned out as fast as we'll be producing it now. All I know is I cant wait to take a picture of this mountain of blocks outside. lol
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

Jimbo, you should find out where all the local campgrounds are and talk to the owners about supplying them campsite firewood for the campers and tourists. Or bundle it up and sell it to them out of the back of your truck up here people sell bundles of firewood nonstop to the tourists and the campers. They ain't cheap either!