• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Backtroads of BC from a recent hunt

Started by Okanagan, November 05, 2016, 02:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

These first pics are of the Similkameen River from a narrow two track mine prospecting road.  I was looking for mule deer... above the road.  :biggrin:  This is mainly a wintering area and not many deer there at the moment.  The river runs parallel to the border north of Washington State.

It is wicked steep country and I kept trying to get a pic that really shows how steep but photos just don't capture it.

Rainbow colored minerals in a cutbank of a logging road a few miles from the pics above.  I think that the green is from copper.  A mountain lion and some mule deer had walked down the road beside the colored bank.  I'll maybe post a photo of tracks elsewhere.

slagmaker

That's some rough looking terrain you have there.

I like that cut. Wonder what all minerals are there for so many different colors
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Beautiful country! I can see how steep it is. Thanks for sharing it neat to see different places.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Dave

Looks good Clyde
That country will keep you in shape!

Hawks Feather

When you say 'two track' are you talking about two lane or the tracks left by one vehicle?   :wink:

It does look like a beautiful area and I really like the image with the cutback in it.  As for hunting there - I think I will leave that to younger people with better knees.  Thanks for sharing the images.

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 06, 2016, 08:11:46 AM
When you say 'two track' are you talking about two lane or the tracks left by one vehicle?   :wink:

It does look like a beautiful area and I really like the image with the cutback in it.  As for hunting there - I think I will leave that to younger people with better knees.  Thanks for sharing the images.

Jerry

Two track is what my family calls a narrow dirt road that consists of two paths or grooves from the wheels of a normal sized vehicle going one way.  Don't know if anybody else uses that term.  Below is the only pic I could find of mine that shows a "two track road" in snow. 

Below is another shot of the narrow road above the Similkameen River. In the sections of this road on grass and in the woods, it was two paths of dirt tire track side by side.   Right here it is bladed flat rather than showing two tracks, but a lot of it is only wide enough for one vehicle.  If two rigs meet, one of them has to back up to a wide enough spot to let the other vehicle pass by.  I took this photo at a wide spot in the road.  Otherwise the drop off would start within two feet of the side of the vehicle. 

FinsnFur

wow...that looks like some steep country. Love the pics!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

MI VHNTR

Nice pictures and interesting information to go with them. Thanks for sharing.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Okanagan

Will add some pics on same topic of recent wanderings on BC backroads rather than start a new thread.

Sunrise a couple of days ago.  Very few deer but within an hour's drive from home. 

Stopped to go into the woods and call for a buck and heard a lot of creek noise so walked a few yards that way and could see this waterfall through the brush.  One of about 25 waterfalls I saw that day more than 10 feet high. (Edited to a more accurate number after driving up there again and counting waterfalls.)  A lot of rain recently and every ravine is running a big creek.

View from a spot where I called for a blacktail buck.  Usually our woods are not this open.  Old growth forest, never logged and the lack of sunlight to the ground kills out underbrush.  Not as pretty as eastern hardwood forest but nice.

Meanwhile down in the canyon bottom, Coho salmon and chum salmon are spawning in side streams off of the Chilliwack River.  My camera auto focus refuses to get a clear pic of a salmon in water.  The red ones are Coho.  The second pic shows chum, which are also called dog salmon.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the explanation and also say that I keep enjoying your images.

Jerry

pitw

As much as a I like your pics, I wouldn't trade you places from my flat ground.   :shrug:

I think it may have something to do with gravity. :laf:

Are the salmon protected up them streams?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 19, 2016, 05:40:22 PM
Thanks for the explanation and also say that I keep enjoying your images.

Jerry

Thank you.  I know that I over do it sometimes and don't want to do that to people, even though nobody has to look.   :biggrin:

Pitw, yes, the salmon are protected in these small spawning streams off of the upper Chilliwack River.  I have seen small streams where they are not protected, though never have fished for them in such places.  I figure if a fish has survived for four years, swum halfway to Japan and back dodging predators and disease and makes it all the way back to the spawning beds, leave him alone and let him produce more salmon of his strong kind.

The whole upper river and all side streams are closed. The lower river is open and people were fishing down there, 10-20 miles below where these fish are.

Coulter

That looks like a great place to go exploring. And maybe even do some climbing :innocentwhistle: One heck of a playground you have there Clyde.