• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

LBL shot size?

Started by centerfire_223, December 19, 2018, 06:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

What is the biggest shot size you can use in a shotgun at the LBL?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

coyote101

Quote from: centerfire_223 on December 19, 2018, 06:22:16 AM
What is the biggest shot size you can use in a shotgun at the LBL?

I talked to a lady named Beth who works in the Environmental Resource Management office at LBL. That is the office where the regs are written. She said whatever is legal under state regulations (other than slugs or buckshot) will be legal at LBL. For the Kentucky side, that would be T-shot for furbearers and No. 2-shot for small game.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

centerfire_223

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

KySongDog

Ronnie, T shot is only allowed during February.  Although in the almost 40 years I've hunted at LBL, I've never had my shells checked for size of shot.  They mainly want to see the firearm cased and empty in chamber and magazine.  Of course, your mileage may vary.  LBL rules are, in a word, weird.  They do not conform to the state of Kentucky in many respects.

coyote101

Quote from: KySongDog on December 21, 2018, 09:04:15 PM
Ronnie, T shot is only allowed during February. 

Not so any more.

LBL rules for small game (which includes furbearers) state, "Legal weapons follow state and federal regulations." and "Prohibited weapons include shotguns loaded with slugs or buck shot...."

State regulations for Kentucky for furbearers state, "There is no limit on shot size" and for small game, "Lead or non-toxic shot no larger than No. 2."

So, following Kentucky state regulations for furbearers, (excluding slugs or buck shot per LBL rules) any size shot smaller than buck shot would be legal for fox, bobcat, otter,  coyotes, and other furbearers. For squirrels, rabbits, and other small game, No. 2 shot is the limit.

I specifically asked these questions of the lady at LBL. Kentucky used to have a shot size limit on furbearers and so did LBL, but LBL now allows whatever the state allows with the exception of slugs and buck shot.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Quote from: coyote101 on December 21, 2018, 10:37:12 PM
Quote from: KySongDog on December 21, 2018, 09:04:15 PM
Ronnie, T shot is only allowed during February. 

Not so any more.

LBL rules for small game (which includes furbearers) state, "Legal weapons follow state and federal regulations." and "Prohibited weapons include shotguns loaded with slugs or buck shot...."

State regulations for Kentucky for furbearers state, "There is no limit on shot size" and for small game, "Lead or non-toxic shot no larger than No. 2."

So, following Kentucky state regulations for furbearers, (excluding slugs or buck shot per LBL rules) any size shot smaller than buck shot would be legal for fox, bobcat, otter,  coyotes, and other furbearers. For squirrels, rabbits, and other small game, No. 2 shot is the limit.

I specifically asked these questions of the lady at LBL. Kentucky used to have a shot size limit on furbearers and so did LBL, but LBL now allows whatever the state allows with the exception of slugs and buck shot.

Pat

Not to be argumentative but.........the printed regs do not track with your explanation.  Specifically:

Furbearers are not considered small game in Kentucky. 

LBL printed regs say for bobcat "Legal weapons are the same for small game hunting, during archery season, and in February the same for coyote hunting."

Coyotes..."Hunt during daylight hours only during any open hunting season with weapons for that season."   Which means small game weapons and shot size of 2 or smaller.   In Kentucky one can hunt coyotes all year long. Not so at LBL.  One can hunt only during an open hunting season.

The printed regs specifically state T shot is allowed in February. 

Either the lady you talked to is wrong or the regs are now being interpreted differently than what they have for the last 12 years I've been going to LBL. If so they should put the new interpretation in writing.

Read this:  Small Game, Waterfowl and Trapping Facts