• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lets make some jerky!

Started by FinsnFur, July 21, 2015, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

The girls got me a dehydrator for Fathers Day this year.  Cute!...real freegin cute. Like I got time to get into this now. [emoji30]
Im actually having the time of my life though. I got some jerky cure from Cabelas and gave it a whirl. It turned out incredibly good.
Then we made some banana chips which were really good too.
And now were on our third batch of jerky lol!
Anyone else into this? Got any tips I can experiment with cause we're having a blast making this jerky, and it sure dont last long its so good.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Dont look at the dirty dishes.  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

I make jerky all the time but don't care for the mixes out there. Get some teriyaki onion salt garlic salt and liquid smoke and red pepper! Experiment to get the flavor you like and heat. I like lots of onion salt and pepper but it sure does make beer disappear. Lol. 
Pineapples are sweet sugar cubes and will really wire you up.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

Pineapples uh? I never thought of that :wo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

I don't have a dehydrator, but one of my teachers did.  Every fall she would bring in dried apples and I was more than happy to eat more than my share.  Peaches are pretty good too!

Jerry

Okanagan

My Mom cranked out dried fruit, fruit leather etc. and supplied me for years using a dehydrator that looks like yours, Jim.  Don't know what happened to her dehydrator once she passed.   When I was a kid we dried fruit in the sun, totally dried and it would keep indefinitely.  Never made jerky that way.

JohnP

Our daughter does all kind of fruits and meats in hers, when I make jerky all I use is coarse ground black pepper.  We have tried javelina all different ways, slow cooker, grill, oven, broil you name it we tried it and absolutely don't like it.  A few years ago I killed one and turned it all into jerky.  It was great and everyone like it, but I told no one what it was. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dave

Jim,

You need to try this one.  I've messed around with my own jerky recipes (and others' that've been highly recommended) for awhile and then tried this over the past winter.  It's really good - and not too hot as you'd expect from the recipe.  The instacure 1 cures the meat so you don't have to get it up to 155 degrees while drying.  I've tried several of this guy's recipes (remember a while back I posted something on making pastrami and how incredible that is - same guy) and have not been disappointed with any of them.

Anyway, here's the link to his recipe

http://honest-food.net/2014/02/17/venison-jerky-recipe-chipotle/

FinsnFur

I'll have to check that out too Dave. The one Im using now from Cabelas cures it too. I kinda think thats the best way for a dehydrator verses oven methods. Of course, I'm still learning though  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

Jim,
just pulled a load of the chipotle jerky out of the dehydrator (absolutely incredible) and got to thinking about this thread.  Have you had an opportunity to try the recipe? It's well worth the effort. Your girls will love it - my kids do.
Also, if you're game, I'll send you some of the Instacure #1.  It's worth putting it in - adds flavor and keeps it from turning real dark.  PM me your address and I'll put an ounce or so in an envelop. You only need a little bit, but if you go to order it you get a ten years supply.

FinsnFur

I havent Dave. Been having such good luck and taste with the Cabelas cures, and Hi Mountain Seasonings, we been making one batch after another. :laf:
That Chipotle sounds really good though. I'm willing to give it a whirl with that Instacure.  :sneer:  I'll PM ya the address.

I bought a box of Cabela's Teriyaki cure because the girls made me and I didnt really care for it. I should give that away to someone who wants it. There's enough left to cure 10lbs of meat and it also uses the low heat curing salts.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

Hey that goes to anyone who makes their own jerky and wants to try out this recipe - it'll cost me a stamp to send out the instacure.  Just PM me your address.  Everything else pretty much can be bought at the supermkt. The link to the recipe is about 4 or 5 posts up.

FinsnFur

Got the ...."package"  :innocentwhistle:  last night dave.
Oldest daughter asked me if she could open it cause it felt like there was something besides a letter inside  :eyebrow:.
I said go ahead.
She got half way through and tossed it towards me in fear. She goes, "Dad! someone sent you Anthrax!.
I jumped out of my chair, stepped over the envelope, ran around her and bolted out the door.
Ok I didnt really do that, but I shoulda lol

Thank you very much. I'm anxious to give it a whirl. Were heading up to the UW to visit the youngest daughter this morning, so when I get a chance to dive into it I'll let ya know. :wink:
Thanks again.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

You missed a great opportunity!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Dave

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 10, 2015, 07:24:46 AM
Got the ...."package"  :innocentwhistle:  last night dave.
Oldest daughter asked me if she could open it cause it felt like there was something besides a letter inside  :eyebrow:.
I said go ahead.
She got half way through and tossed it towards me in fear. She goes, "Dad! someone sent you Anthrax!.
I jumped out of my chair, stepped over the envelope, ran around her and bolted out the door.
Ok I didnt really do that, but I shoulda lol

Thank you very much. I'm anxious to give it a whirl. Were heading up to the UW to visit the youngest daughter this morning, so when I get a chance to dive into it I'll let ya know. :wink:
Thanks again.

Haha!  Just saw this. 
I felt like I was mailing something illegal too and thought anyone who actually feels this would have to wonder.  Threw an extra stamp on it too, along with a return address label so no one would think to further investigate! 
Funny that she tossed it AT you instead of just away from her.    :laf:
I'm on my third batch of venison jerky for this year!  Also trying his 'Wild Duck/Goose Jerky' recipe with about 5 lbs of this deer. 
I'll post my opinions on it!   :readthis:

Okanagan

Saw this freshly renewed topic right AFTER I pulled my first batch of jerky out of my new smoker, home brewed teriyaki flavor.  I read the chipotle recipe and would have turned out way better jerky had I read it first.  Mine is pretty good but bland in taste.  It needed to marinate longer according to the jerky guru, and I'm sure my shorter marinade time is what faded the flavor. 

These things sure turn out some good eats!

FinsnFur

Yah I'm ready to crack out another batch :eyebrownod: I'm not to hip on the teriyakis though.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Coulter

Can't wait to make some venison jerky. Just need to go get that darn deer first...details, details.

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 15, 2015, 09:38:47 PM
Yah I'm ready to crack out another batch :eyebrownod: I'm not to hip on the teriyakis though.

I'm with you.  Teri is not my favorite but wife likes it... 
I'm gonna try for some mildly hot non-sweet salty stuff with a coarse black pepper slant to it.

FinsnFur

Let us know how it turns out. I recently made a garlic n cracked pepper batch. Whew...I struggled to eat it. The garlic combination reminded me too much of skinning coyotes the way it smelled. Wow

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers