• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Crossbow bolt question

Started by Hawks Feather, October 07, 2007, 06:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I was looking at bolts for crossbows and noticed they have one that has a notch in it.  Not deep like a normal nock, but a little indent.  Anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Jerry

DirtyDog

Yerry,

That is the kind that I have always used, and have had a lot of luck with them, and I am not sure of the purpose. I have used both the flat nocked ones, and the ones with the nocks. It is just my preference. I always bought the ones that were made by Hunters Inc. made in the Akron area. I always just went and picked them out, but you can also get them at Dick's Sporting Goods.

DD

HaMeR

I use Horton bolts in mine. They are the best I think. The notch is just like an arrow nock & rides the string the same way.  HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coorsdrifter

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 07, 2007, 06:16:03 PM
I was looking at bolts for crossbows and noticed they have one that has a notch in it.  Not deep like a normal nock, but a little indent.  Anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Jerry

Check with the manufacturer of your crossbow,they will recommend either the half moon nock or a flat nock.Using the wrong one will throw the accuracy off and possibly damage the bow.

Hawks Feather

I started this season with an older Barnett and it had the flat base.  I then got a Horton with the half-mood.  Since Horton had them with the bow, I will be sticking with them.

Thanks for the replies,

Jerry

HuntnCarve

I have an Excalibur and they recommend the "flat" nock for their bows.  So that's what I have been using on their carbon bolts.  I asked a Rep about the other styles, and he said that there is a remote tendency for he string to ride over the half moon nock?  Anyway, I've had excellent success with the bolts this season.   Not to mention that I am sold on the Excalibur brand.  Phenomenal accuracy!

vvarmitr

Quote from: HuntnCarve on December 08, 2007, 08:53:57 PM... he said that there is a remote tendency for he string to ride over the half moon nock? 
:confused:  :huh:

I've heard nothing but good about those Excaliburs Dave. :wink:

My Horton shoots the half-moons too. I see no problem w/ it.  I do shoot the cardon because they're a little bit heavier than the aluminium. I have a 125gr Thunderhead on the other end.  More experienced X-bowers say to get the extra weight because the bolt is shorter then the arrow & needs it to help w/ penitration. Works for me. :biggrin: