• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gränsfors Small Hatchet

Started by Hawks Feather, July 28, 2014, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I have taken the canoes out a couple of times and on the last trip my brother-in-law asked what I had in the travel box.  One of the items that he seemed to really like was my Gransfors Small Hatchet.  I have had it for about 10 years and have used it a few times.  The thing that I like about it (besides the size and quality) is the fact that it is small and light weight.  The length with the handle is 10.25 inches and the head is just over 4 inches.  It weights in at just about a half pound so it is great for splitting smaller woods and limbs, but not designed for chopping down trees.

Jerry

Okanagan

You could gut and skin a moose with that, or a deer. Those Granfors are a work of art.

Not to rain...  but from personal experience I reluctantly avoid hatchets.  If anything goes wrong, the radius of stroke hits most users from knee to mid shin.  I was in on one helicopter medivac when a fellow backpacker split his shin to the bone 11 miles of rough trail from a road.  Also made a trip to the emergency room myself when I stuck the corner of a sharp hatchet under the edge of my kneecap all the way to the bone.   Maybe just us clumsy ones should avoid hatchets! :wo:

For concious safety reasons we backpack lightweight saws, and go to a full size axe if that is needed.  I keep a full size axe in my vehicle or if I take one in a canoe or kayak.

slagmaker

I have to half way agree with Okanagan. Hatchets and machetes will get you in the knee or shin when they miss there mark.  I have some scars on my knee and shin from just such happenings. but I still carry a small hatchet in my woods kit. the hatchet as an all around tool is just that valuable to me. saws can break and once they dull unless you have the tools to sharpen a saw you SOL. sure a saw is safer but even with the dangers of using a hatchet I will pick the hatchet.

just my 3tenths of a cent
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

How old is that? It looks hand forged.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 28, 2014, 08:43:29 PM
How old is that? It looks hand forged.

I have had it over 10 years, but they are still being made by hand in Sweden.  Here is a link to their site.  http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/   

I am not too worried about hitting my leg, but possibly my other hand.  I have used it to make a couple of small campfires - mostly taking relatively small pieces and making them smaller to get the fire started. 

Jerry

Todd Rahm

I wouldn't  mind owning a dandy like that!! Kinda been looking for a new hatchet.

KySongDog

Interesting website.  Those gransfors are nice tools.   

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Semp on July 29, 2014, 07:02:18 PM
Interesting website.  Those gransfors are nice tools.

I got hooked watching the show Vikings.  It made me want the Gränsfors Battle Axe.  But I think my ship to conquer other countries has sailed without me on it . . . or maybe it is the $680 price tag on it.  But I do like the looks of it.

Jerry

KySongDog

On Netflix and Amazon Prime there is a documentary movie called "Happy People: A Year in the Taiga".  It is about Russian trappers and the harsh conditions they endure.   They all carry an axe on their belt that looks like the Granfors small forest axe or maybe the next size smaller.   They can do some incredible things with that tool. 

Coulter

Hey that's pretty nice...I like the style on that one. I use a Snow and Neally trappers axe on my trapline in the fall. Love that thing for all kinds of utilitarian purposes from pounding stakes to making kindling and erecting leaning pole sets. It needs to acquire some more patina though.

Steve