• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Wow ! LBL (my favorite place to hunt)

Started by securpro, January 23, 2007, 07:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

securpro

Hey everybody I'm new to the forums and just heard through the grapevine about the LBL hunt ! I wish i could be there with you but i've already planed a trip there this weekend and my wife would hang me if i went two weeks in a row. This weekend will be the second trip to LBL in a month, Last trip Dec. 14,15,16,17 was'nt very successful but thats why they call it huntin and not killin. The yotes were active at night (all night very heavy) but no sign of them in the daylight hours. That weekend it was very warm and I'm sure that had alot to do with their movement. I have seen alot coyotes and a few bobcats in the rea and know they are there.
Good Luck to all who attend the upcoming hunt,    and a bit of advice from experience ;
AVOID RD. 308 UNLESS YOU HAVE A LIFT 4X4 WITH ATLEAST 38'' TIRES AND A GOOD WINCH (got stuck there at dusk in a 3 ft deep rutted out water hole, no cell service and a long walk out, had to have US forestry Service ranger pull us out.)   :wo:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

FinsnFur

Welcome to the board Securpro.

Since no one can make into Rd308, that sounds like the place with the least amount of traffic and the place I wanna call :eyebrownod:

How much is a wrecker bill coming from the UFSR anyway ?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

securpro

We got lucky and caught them with nothing else to do on a saturday night except pull helpless morons out of a hole. :laf: cant say enough good about the rangers  :yoyo: they were very understanding and extremely helpful when they could have made us call a wrecker. (dont want to know what that bill would be)
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Bopeye

RD. 308 ya say????
Did ya hear that Chet...........right it down baby...... :readthis: :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

Been there and done that at the LBL.  I got stuck in a rut going down a hill on 304 one year. My front winch was useless heading down hill. Took 3 hours with chains and a high lift jack hooked to the rear bumper to inch my way back out.   The "dotted line" roads on the LBL map can be challenging!   :biggrin:

Mallardsr

In hindsight, wouldn't been easier to just walk in? :shrug:  :confused: Area 3  :wo: Jimmy?

Jimmie in Ky

Didn't the first pond in the road tell you to go home  :nono: Of course that depends on which end you came in from. 305 is a nono as well. It too has one or more ponds in it, and one hell of a red clay slick going down hill near the back loop.

Poor Bopeye, this one is in Ky, in zone 3 and a very long way from Tennessee. Of course there is another way to access those groups of dogs  :eyebrownod: Ya just gotta beat 'em to the refuge  :biggrin:

Fellas, with the bad weather we have had this winter a lot of these roads are pure hazardous to the health of your vehicle. If it isn't the ponds in th middle of them its the moving trees that wil get you  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

securpro

I'm not sure what road it was that we entered on but it was on the northern end of zone three. We set up on a huge field about halfway through and then came to a powerline just before the hole from hell that ended our hunt for the day.   As for walking in ,I guess you could but it would be a very long walk for a very short stay. Dont get me wrong I dont mind walking a mile of two to get a nice place to hang a deer stand for the day ,but I'll pass on that walk for a 30 min coyote stand. 

securpro

Jimmie in Ky

I walked that section last year for a hundred feet and turned around  :laf: Last year was a dry one too.

A hint, your wasting your time working that field. Jimmie

securpro

Jimmy
why do you say that field is a waste of time? obviously you are familliar with the area, do you think the hunting is better in the woods or on the edges of the fields?
Are the coyotes seeming to get call shy?

securpro

Jimmie in Ky

Familiar with the area, Even I have to look at a map once in a while to refresh my memory. I don't know but a couple of people that reallly know the place well.

Those bottoms are just places for the winds to screw u. They swirl and cause more problems than you can shake a stick at even though they seem to be in your favor. You will find all kinds of sign in them , enough to make you work your fanny off trying. But your odds of seeing coyotes in them after daylight are slim.

And yes there is getting to be quite a bit of pressure up there on the coyote population. They already have a degree or 3 in evading the hunters of all kinds. I have noticed problems with howlers the last couple of years. So in answer to your question they are call shy to some extent. You can tell by their reactions to the sounds you use. Some sounds they react like they should and come wide open. Other sounds or pitches and they will come sneaking and quiet on the downwind guarenteed. In some sectons blow the wrong pitch howler and they will start barking a warning. In all sections they will check the howls out first befoe comitting to it. Jimmie