High 44°F
Low 31°F
Precip. 10%

Thursday Jan 31
Showers
High 48°F
Low 34°F
Precip. 40 %

Thursday is last day of bobcat season in KY portion of LBL. Electronic calls are prohibited

Fox may not be taken with electronic calls

Jimmie in Ky

Rich , lets hope the winds are more normal this year. Last year it bout blew us off the hills. I know it played hell with what they could actually hear.

But it is still a week away folks, lets hope for normal weather like it say's. Jimmie

weedwalker

Quote from: bnccont on January 27, 2008, 06:15:24 AM
So I am guessing that snow camo is not a must

Mine will be in the truck. Just in case....

coyotehunter_1

QuoteBy: Jimmie in Ky:
Rich , lets hope the winds are more normal this year.

:holdon: Now Jimmy...  you know that even when the winds are "normal" @ LBL it's still a most "interesting" place when it comes to calling coyotes.   :eyebrow:

That ol' LBL wind can blow from at least three directions and all at the same time.  :argh:

:biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Jimmie in Ky

I can deal withteh 3 directions. It's the hurricanes I can't stand at 20 degrees  :nono: Jimmie

coyotehunter_1

Jimmy,
I know you remember our first year's hunt, Aye  :laf:
Three inches of fresh snow,  5 above 0 and 20-30 mph gusting winds... a bit nippy, to say the least.  :sad3: 
My little army spotted only 1 live coyote but we found more coyote tracks that year @ LBL than I have ever seen in my lifetime, hunting around here.  :biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Jimmie in Ky

I remember that year well Chet. It was something else. That friday night we were going to meet in one of the open buildings they have for reunions and such there.We thought we might have as many as fifty show up. When we all arrived the winds were howling and the temps flat out took out breath in that wind.Thankfully the good folks there at wranglers had pitty on us and allowed us to move into A2 instead. The beginning of a tradition with that cabin that night. I have the montage of photos Crittrgitter sent me of that first gathering .

I was up in zone one with Kyfishrman at dawn working the howler. Tracked oneoff into the head of a hollow and setup with what I thought were the winds in my face at about ten miles an hour that morning.I had dropped about halfway down the ridge and thought things were good. Nice thicket below me and good visibilty for a few hundred yards, at least as good as it can get in there.

After forty minutes of calling I couldn't believe we had not had a taker. I could see other tracks joining the ones we had followed in there, from where we sat above them. I lit a smoke and watched the winds as they moved around me. The smoke drifted uphill and to my right a bit then went straight down the middle of that hole in the ground we were watching. My first real hard lesson on the way things work up there.

I have learned a lot about hunting in there over the years and am still learning. Things change faster than I can keep up .But one thing I do know, setup high.

I got to reminiscing about that first hunt this afternoon while out in the shop. We got our first preview of Bop's chicken dance that evening. H ewas dancing around trying to stay warm. I guess he figured if he stood still too long he would freeze down solid  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

hammeryotes

Nice thing about the LBL is that no matter what the wind is doing or how hard it is blowing.......within reason... a guy can usually find a spot to get away from it.  The more I hunt that place the more I learn where I can go, given a particular weather condition.  I have been chasing work the past few weeks and have'nt hunted much; it's good to be home.  I am getting good and ready for the LBL hunt so look out coyote.  I am sure to be the only guy there without a bona fied varmint gun.  Be packing my trusty .280 mountain rifle.    She's a little hide hungry, but she's money out to 400 yards. That is unless I miss of course :laf:  It ought to be a great time no matter what. I am really looking forward to meeting everybody.  I just might sneak out tomorrow afternoon for a little locating session.  though I'm not really sure that will accomplish anything.  I have a tendancy to think that they are where you find them when you find them.  I've yet to call in a coyote as a result of my dilligent scouting.  There are alot of yotes over there and they don't survive off hunting in one field.  I hope to have the winch mounted that I bought off Semp because there are alo9t off 300 roads that I like to hit.  I am sure that some of you saw what happened to me last Feb. when I decided to be creative.  Anyhow, looking forward to the get together. Everybody be safe getting here and I'll try to leave em' alone for the next few days. :wink:

weedwalker

Now they're only giving rain for Thursday, snow for Friday, sunny Saturday, partly cloudy Sunday. It's looking better.

Jimmie in Ky

With a high of around 40 and lows of 30 for both saturday and sunday. Looking good gents.

I have nearly an inch in the gauge right no and more expected this afternoon. About the same for both thursday and friday combined. With the freezing znd thawing we have had and this added moisture , roads could be pretty rough in some areas. Those raods marked may be impassible will be just that, impassible.

Randy, ya do it again an we will leave you for the buzzards  :eyebrownod: Jimmie