Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Is that a bobcat or lynks ? Its a very big cat that's for sure. Didn't look like that deer had a chance.

Carolina Coyote

I have never see a Bobcat take down a Deer but on several occasions I have seen them chasing and stalking Deer, and have seen Deer reacting when a Bobcat is nearby, very interesting.
That is a big cat and would look good on the wall!!! cc

JohnP

Bobcats do a lot of damage on fawns out here, both mulies and coues.  Our bobcats are not very big and would have a hard time with a mulie but they do take down coues on a regular basis. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Quote from: riverboss on March 10, 2015, 06:18:20 AM
Is that a bobcat or lynx ? Its a very big cat that's for sure. Didn't look like that deer had a chance.

It's a bobcat, no question.  Tail is shorter on a lynx than on a bob and the legs and feet are enormous on a lynx in relation to body, way out of the proportions of the cat in these photos. Dandy spots on this bobcat.

Bobcats kill more deer than I used to believe.  Several anecdotes:  I backtracked a frightened mule deer YOY in Feb. and found where a big bobcat had jumped off of a boulder at the deer in snow and chased it 50 yards but had not caught it. 

My son sent me some pics of a fresh bobcat kill of a blacktail fawn in midwinter.  He has found several of those.  The bobcat was still on the fawn it had killed in the ditch of a snowy logging road when he drove up on them.  The deer was about the age of the mule deer fawn in the photos above, probably somewhat smaller than the mule deer.   He drove on and when he came back by a couple of hours later the bobcat had dragged the little button buck a few feet and was on it feeding again.

I had a large footed bobcat come in when I was rattling antlers for whitetail bucks.  Shot a buck at 60 yards and found the bobcat tracks in snow half way to the buck as I walked out to it.  The cat was sneaking up on me in low brush when I shot at the buck across a swale and the bullet went about four feet over its head.  Tracks in the snow showed that it did a startled crouch and then ran away.

riverboss

It sure looked big for a bobcat and I thought the hairy tipped ears looked more lynxs thanks

Okanagan

That's a whopper bobcat alright, lots of body heft and belly fat on a big frame.  I was surprised to read that bobcats get as big as lynx in weight, because lynx look so much bigger and taller.

Will see if I can paste in a lynx image filched from Wikipedia.

Dave

Wow, the back 1/2 of Okanagan's lynx looks a a rabbit on steroids

Carolina Coyote

That just might be a Jackalope, fine looking specimen. Would love to have some of them around here.  :biggrin: cc

riverboss

It looks like it could walk on its back legs like a human?

FinsnFur

Lynxs hind legs are usually it's give away for me anyway. dave nailed it, they always look they they were crossed with a jack rabbit. Thats how I tell em apart.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

that is one beautiful bobcat, big, well furred and the coloring is spectacular...  it's easy to see the differences between the 2 species when you put the pictures up...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...