• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

feral cat

Started by snafu, March 25, 2015, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I was trapping a creek early 80's. I had one trap left to set, but ran out of stakes. The farmer had a large burn pile up a hill from the creek. I found a 2x6x4' on the burn pile. I used some horse shoe nails to secure the trap to the board drag. Then I made a dirt hole set along the creek bank. Next morning in the dark. As I'm walking the meandering creek checking my traps.

I hear that last trap's chain rattling. I rounded a sharp turn in the narrow creek. Et almost walked into the large domestic tom cat I've ever seen. This cat was all bad & wanted to rip me a new one. I backed up giving that ole tom some respect. Cat kept lunging & lunging dragging that heavy board drag. Flaring it's free paw out in front, trying to snag me. Now I've caught my fare share of domestic cats. But nothing like this one. Nothing as large or as mean.

There was no way of setting this one free. So a short skirmish followed. Me-1, cat-0. I threw his carcass up on the burn pile. A few wks later one morning Sun light was lighting the area up. As I checked my traps. Maybe a block away up-stream I heard a shotgun go off. I thought someone is trespassing. I finished checking my traps. Then walked up creek. I met two young guys hunting rabbit. I asked what they shot a little while ago. They told me a very large grey tom.

I thought dang! as the hair raised on my arms. That bad boy had 2 lives.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

vayotehowler

My grandad used to rent his to some people and they had some cats that went feral. One nite I went out to go get something I'd left out and something darted out of the flower bed. It was a huge wild cat. About the size of medium dog or very large bobcat. Not quite as tall as a grey hound but dang close.... Thing was huge. Guess something happens when they go feral

FinsnFur

That would be creeeeeepy Snafu!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

Hhmmmm was pet cemetery just a movie?... 
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

snafu

If I told you all how big this cat was. You probably wouldn't believe me. Thankfully his front L-paw was in the foothold trap. A run of the mill house cat = nothing. But this tom was huge, not fat, but very, very large. He was vicious, but not for very long.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Three words come to mind;
Shish, Ka, Bob :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I would probably believe you snaf. We have a bunch of those damn cats 150yds down at the end of the street in some abandoned gravel pit sheds. Damn things are big nasty & stink real bad.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11