• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Centurion Home defense

Started by slagmaker, January 28, 2010, 09:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

Has any one here tested or used the Centurion 12ga home defense shotgun loads? :shrug:

They are 2 3/4" loaded up with 1X.650"RB on top of 6X1BK. That is one 0.650" round ball slug with six 30 calliber balls. The info on the box states that it will fire at 1300' per second. Basically they are a "buck and ball" load like what was used during the Revolutionary and Civil wars. I know that during those wars the buck and ball load was devestating on the battle field.

Friend of mine came over so we could sight his home defense shotgun using them. A box of 10 runs $7 on cheeperthandirt.com so that aint too bad. We shot them for pattern at 20 yards sense this is aproxometly the length of his halll way. At that distance the goup was about 5 inches or less across on paper. We were gona shoot them at a water filled milk jug but it was cold out so we came back inside. :holdon:

I would say this would make a very effective defensive load. Any one else have an opinion on them. The on line reviews were pretty inmpressive.  :readthis:

Wonder what they would do to a coyote.  :eyebrow:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Quote from: slagmaker on January 28, 2010, 09:10:08 AM

Probably kill it if you hit it :iroll:
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

Quote from: pitw on January 28, 2010, 09:19:35 AM
Quote from: slagmaker on January 28, 2010, 09:10:08 AM

Probably kill it if you hit it :iroll:

With my shooting abilities thats a mighty big IF  :eyebrownod:..

Seriously, I would almost think a lawyer would have a field day if you were to shoot someone with this. The buck and ball is designed to do maximum damage so it will at the very least render and advasary incappable of further agressive acts.

FinsnFur

A lawyer would have a field day with anything a burglar got shot with. Thats a problem with our judicial system.
Pull a gun on a home invader and your accused of premeditation because the gun was loaded and ready.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 28, 2010, 10:08:20 AM
A lawyer would have a field day with anything a burglar got shot with. Thats a problem with our judicial system.
Pull a gun on a home invader and your accused of premeditation because the gun was loaded and ready.

Agreed, but I would think that the use of the buck and ball load would almost guanantee a homicide investigation. :wink:

Jeb

If you get home invaded, you likely will die if you dont shoot the lowlife that came in. Yep i think i will be in trouble but my family will be safe and thats all that matters to me. ____    bunch of lawyers and what they might do later. Family comes first in my house.
                                    Jeb

HaMeR

I'm thinking the Ohio DNR would frown on this load. We can't have slugs on our possession unless we are shotgunning deer on the allotted 9 days & we're not allowed to have any shot sizes other than slugs on those same 9 days. I think Ohioans should be very careful with this ammo as it could cause problems if not handled correctly. I'm not sure how they would look at the ball in there.  :shrug:

Just a thought.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

It would be illegal to hunt with in KY. 

coyotehunter_1

From what I can find in the Tn game regs that load is illegal for hunting. For deer (shotgun), slugs only except in a few counties that have special acts... there 00 buckshot and/or slugs are allowed.

Slugs and buck will also penetrate most sheet rock walls, even at extended ranges. Considering there may be other family members in house, they are not the best choice in home invasion situations. As far as home defense, a shotgun with a good load of #4 or 5 bird shot will work in most cases. If you've ever seen a person hit at close range with heavy bird shot it ain't pretty.

A person has the right to defend himself and his family. If a thug breaks into my house, he's not there to sell girl scout cookies. In a situation like this make sure he's inside the house and a threat to your families safety (the guy screamed out that he was going to kill me :wink:). Like the old saying: I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. On the other hand if someone is on the outside of your home, even if he is beating on the door, call 911. By most laws, and most cases, if you use lethal force (without the danger of immediate harm) it's not considered self defense. Then it can get real sticky, legal wise.

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

slagmaker

The box says right on it "defensive load" I think it even said Law enforcement but I cant be sure. So to get you around any DNR concerns. Just dont take it out to the field. It stays at home where it is a home defense round or it is being used in law enforcement.

But if you arn't restricted on this load in the field. Might be something to think about. It would do the job I think and it is cheeper than say, Dead Coyote

OK wait a minute. Lets put this into prespective. You just got home. You come in and you find your daughter has just been raiped and the scum bag who did it is still there riffling through your home and he has a weapon "dont matter what kind, he has a weapon". You grab the shot gun next to the door. He is now comming at you.  You know what is behind the assailant and it is a safe fire window. Would this load be at least minnimmaly accetable to have in your hand if you were to find yourself in this situation.

I have seen a man shot at close range with #4 birdhsot. He had enough life in him to seriously hurt the man who shot him and he walked out of the house and a good way down the block. Yeah he was bleeding but not enough to stop him.

If you are pulling the trigger on something you are indended to destroy it. Is this not one of the first rules of friearms? If you "God forbid" ever have to pull the trigger in a defensive situation. Be it against a drug crazed thug, a screwdriver weilding mugger or an attacking wild animal. Would you not want something in your arsinal that would do the required job.

baloo

i have oo buck in my shot gun if i have to shoot someone i want to make sure they go down for good no questions . the gun being already loaded with a self defence load i look at it is being prepairer i have a fire extinguster that is loaded but im not expecting a fire but i want to be prepaired.

vvarmitr

Quote from: slagmaker on January 28, 2010, 06:58:41 PM
OK wait a minute. Lets put this into prespective. You just got home. You come in and you find your daughter has just been raiped and the scum bag who did it is still there riffling through your home and he has a weapon "dont matter what kind, he has a weapon". You grab the shot gun next to the door. He is now comming at you.  You know what is behind the assailant and it is a safe fire window.
BLAM! ... BLAM, BLAM. Clear house of possible others. Check on daughter & tell her I'll be right back. :wink:
Then load body in Suburban & take to local sink hole. Drop 'im in head first, pour septic actuator over him.
Lift my eyes toward Heaven & say "Dear Lord, I got him headed in the right direction can you get him the rest of the way? Amen"
Take a piss & leave.  ;yes;