• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Mossberg Muzzleloader Conversion

Started by Lighterknot, May 06, 2010, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighterknot

Now that I am stationed at Fort Gordon and it being 5 minutes from my house I am going to do quite a bit of hunting out there on the thousands of acres set aside.  There are no rifles currently allowed on post for hunting, not even rimfires!  They are currently trying to get rimfires approved for small game season but until that goes through, shotgun, muzzleloader, and archery are the only legal weapons.

I already have a Mossberg 500A that I bought around 1997-1998 when I first joined the military.  I don't currently own a muzzleloader.  Anyone have any experience with this unit? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/46347-1.html

They also have a ported and rifled slug barrel available http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/21581-1.html

So for under $300 bucks I can turn my $125(12 years ago) purchase into a 3 season gun, including a scope with the slug barrel! 

Sounds to good to be true...opinions?
Chad

HaMeR

My only concern would be getting residue down in the trigger assembly with the ML barrel on. I don't know if that could happen or not.

FWIW-- I like the concept tho. I just would prefer a straight ML over the switch barrel rig.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

5 SHOTS

sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Lighterknot

HaMeR:  I am not sure if that ML barrel has a traditional breach plug or what, but that is something to consider/look into further.  Are there any performance differences between the switch barrel setup and a straight muzzleloader?

5 shots:  both of those sound like good options, but I can get BOTH of the Mossberg barrels for $283 plus shipping.  That's cheaper than the CVA w/scope by itself.

I have never shot a slug gun, what is the accuracy and effective range of a slug gun compared to a ML?  If the ML can shoot the same distances as a slug gun, then there wouldn't be any point in me buying a slug gun at all because I could always continue to use the ML during gun season.  If that's the case then getting one of those ML's sounds like the best setup and it keeps me from potentially fouling up my shotgun with the black powder residue.
Chad

5 SHOTS

Both of my smoke poles (.45 and .50 cal.) shoot about 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I have no idea what a slug gun is capable of.  :wo:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

HaMeR

I would say the ML on the switch barrel will be accurate with the right load combo. It will just take time. The same with a straight ML. You'll still have load development to do. Check into the barrels closer to see if it has a breech plug. The BP residue shouldn't be a problem if you use Triple7 powder. It cleans up with warm soapy water & isn't the traditional BP. But it burns clean & cleans easily. I have no doubt being in the military you would have a problem finding the proper load. You already have the shooting skill necessary to do load development at the range & the basic knowledge of guns. So if you find that magic load,, which should be between 90-110grs of powder I think you'll be happy with a switch barrel rig.

BTW-- I just had this thought. I'm not trying to be a jerk so PLEASE don't take it that way.  :biggrin:  BP is measured in grains by VOLUME. Not by WEIGHT. You will need a different type of powder measure & not an electronic or beam type scale. I've been around them for quite some time now & I will be happy to help any way I can to keep you safe & unharmed. All you gotta do is let me know your knowledge level on this.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

msmith

Personally...If shotguns are legal, then I would just use a rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount. My 870 shoots the Hornady sabot slugs out there pretty well. I get around 2" - 2.5" groups at 100 yds. I have killed deer with them at well over 100 yds and you have multiple shots.

If you like the idea of hunting with a muzzleloader, then I would get a dedicated muzzleloader. First decide whether you want to go traditional, or modern, then gear up for it. I have several muzzleloaders and use to deer hunt with them exclusively. The most fun, to me, is with a flint lock,  patched ball, and black powder. That being said, I am now using a TC Black Diamond with a 4x Bushnell scope, and Hornady Low Drag sabots. HaMeR mentioned the Triple Seven. I have heard good things about it, but have no experience with it as I have never used anything but Goex ffg, and fffg.

JMO
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori