• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

#4 BUCK Patterns

Started by kyruss, August 03, 2010, 09:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyruss

The fish and wildlife commission in KY is going to recommend to the KDFWR this month that shot size restrictions be lifted on predators. Generally, if they recommend it, it passes. So, in my excitement, I couldn't wait to try some 3" #4 buck.  I shot some Remington 3 inchers this evening at 40, 50 and 60 yards. This is a measured distance. I tested for my best choke at 40 yards and used it to shoot the 50 and 60. At 40 I had 25 in the 12" circle (this will knock the taste out of their mouths) :eyebrownod:. 18 pellets in 12" at 50 yards and 10 pellets in the 12" circle at 60 yards. I feel pretty good with it at 50, but 60 is a long way. I have been shooting a 3' BB load up til now and am just experimenting with the buckshot. Opinions and experiences welcomed.

FinsnFur

I wanna know where you found a 3' BB load. That would knock the taste out of the shooters mouth too. :laf:

On a more serious note, what'd you end up with for a choke then? or end up liking?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 03, 2010, 10:07:06 PM
I wanna know where you found a 3' BB load. That would knock the taste out of the shooters mouth too. :laf:

I use 3 1/2 Remington Wingmaster HD BB's.   I am pretty sure they make them in 3 inch also.  They are 10% heavier than lead but easier on your barrel than hevi-shot.

They are also "pricey".   :biggrin:

kyruss

The BB load I shoot is a Winchester Super X 3"  15/8 oz. lead BB. Cabelas has them on the bargain cave now for 11.99 a box. I bought 1 box to try then went and bought 4 more. I shoot an old Mossberg 500 that I have shortened the barrel to 20". Conner's in Clarkson , KY cut the barrel and threaded for factory Winchoke tubes for me. I made a fixture and ported the barrel also. (I'm a toolmaker for a living) I was told by someone that the porting would help patterns. I don't know if it helped with the BBs, but it made a lot of difference with 3" #2 shot. One thing the porting did was take the jump out of the gun. It is very controllable with 3" mags. Shucking it and getting a second shot on target is very manageable. My choke tube for the BBs is a .680. This is sorta custom also. It started out as a Hastings extended .640 turkey tube with 1' parallel bore. I kept opening it up a little at a time and polishing the bore. I have found that the Winchokes have a tendency (in my experience) to shoot better patterns with shorter parallel sections. This lengthens the taper and slows down how fast your choking the shot. This tube has about 3/4" parallel section and the transition from taper to straight is blended and polished so that it can't be seen by looking at it. Shoots BBs at 40 yards with 26 in a 9' plate and 59 in a 20' circle. There are only about 74 pellets in this shell. At 50 yards still holds it's own with about 20 or so in the paper plate. Pretty stout too. Puts some pellets through 1/2" plywood at 50 yards. The choke i shot with the #4 buck was a .665. I made this choke and use it turkey hunting. It also has a short parallel section. Only .700 long. The BB load is a good load. Killed 3 coyotes with it last year. Furthest 45-50 yards. Shot it head on and flipped it over.  :eyebrownod:  Not my favorite animal pose for killing, but take what you can get. Killed 1 at about 35 yards and I literally saw dander fly like shooting a dove. Broadside shot, bled like crazy and still flopped a little. I'm kinda wondering how well the BBs are penetrating into the body after they get through hair and hide?
Semp, I have read that the HD BBS are real good. CCP has a shotgun article on his site and the guy tested these. They were one of the best patterning loads he shot. They are pricey, though

weedwalker

I've been using the Federal Wing Shock 3" copperplated lead "BB" loads. They've been doing better than the Dead Coyote "T" loads. At 30 yd shots on coyotes there are several pellets that pass all the way thru out the other side of the coyote. Even after breaking the bones. And unlike the Dead Coyote loads, I've only had 1 runner with the BBs that I didn't find.

FinsnFur

I was making a wise crack over the 3' when I'm sure what was meant was 3" :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

kyruss

I hadn't noticed you wrote 3'. Sorry for the lengthy reply explaining the choke and such. Just don't want anyone thinking this size might be exactly what they need and run out and buy one not knowing the whole story. I'm sure there are others out there that will work as well or better. I just wasn't using this one for anything else.

Rich

Quote from: kyruss on August 03, 2010, 09:29:08 PM
The fish and wildlife commission in KY is going to recommend to the KDFWR this month that shot size restrictions be lifted on predators. Generally, if they recommend it, it passes. So, in my excitement, I couldn't wait to try some 3" #4 buck.  I shot some Remington 3 inchers this evening at 40, 50 and 60 yards. This is a measured distance. I tested for my best choke at 40 yards and used it to shoot the 50 and 60. At 40 I had 25 in the 12" circle (this will knock the taste out of their mouths) :eyebrownod:. 18 pellets in 12" at 50 yards and 10 pellets in the 12" circle at 60 yards. I feel pretty good with it at 50, but 60 is a long way. I have been shooting a 3' BB load up til now and am just experimenting with the buckshot. Opinions and experiences welcomed.
-----------------------------------------
Kyruss,

You have the pattern from hell. Which shotgun, and which brand of fodder? Your chosen choke tube?  No need to look further, you will likely not find anything better.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

kyruss

Rich,  It's a Mossberg 500, 20"  ported barrel, .665 tube. Tube is homemade to same length as a Hastings turkey choke with a .700 long parallel section. Shot some 2 3/4"  4 buck Federals the other day. Got a bunch given to me. I tried every choke I had and wasn't satisfied. 40 yards with these is a stretch. Just not enough pellets. Hornady is making a 2 3/4 coyote load now but I haven't read anything about it.

Rich

I have posted this photo before, but I love to show off.  :biggrin:

Foxpro Field staff

Bopeye

What load is that Rich. Real good pattern at 50 yards.  :highclap:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Rich

Bop,

The shotgun is a Beretta Extrema2 with a Kicks .680 "Gobbling Thunder" tube screwed on. Fodder is 3 & 1/2" Winchester #4 BUCK. I spent a lot of money on choke tubes before I settled on that one. I also have some Dead coyote fodder, but the lead #4 BUCK shoots plenty good for a lot less money.
Foxpro Field staff